Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1974 Paramount

Old 05-22-21, 09:22 AM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
1974 Paramount

This popped up locally, the owner said he bought it from the original owner 3 years ago. To his knowledge, the bike is original not including the Tires, Rear Rack and Pump. I really don't need another bike, but it would be my first Paramount and it does look pretty decent. Sorry for the quality of the pics, seller is away and these were screen shots from his ad.

Would be a 5 hour drive (total) to get it, its my size and it was made in the same year I was born...and its black...serial number indicated July 14, 1974

what do ya'll think?

Last edited by justcynn; 05-22-21 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-22-21, 09:38 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts

...looks legit. depends on the price, I guess. If you haven't already figured it out, that's the touring model P-15. I have one and it rides like a Lincoln Continental. They generally sell for a premium, because of the era and the popularity of Schwinn with American collectors of things bicycle.
Old 05-22-21, 09:58 AM
justcynn

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...looks legit. depends on the price, I guess. If you haven't already figured it out, that's the touring model P-15. I have one and it rides like a Lincoln Continental. They generally sell for a premium, because of the era and the popularity of Schwinn with American collectors of things bicycle.
thanks for the info!, the asking price is $690. based on what I am seeing, thats a pretty good deal?
Likes For justcynn:
Old 05-22-21, 10:10 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn
thanks for the info!, the asking price is $690. based on what I am seeing, thats a pretty good deal?
...yes, that's more than fair pricing, even if you have to service some stuff.
You're correct, that the pictures are not much to go on with regard to the paint, but what I can see looks OK.

It would probably sell for more around here where I live, but everything costs more here.

The touring ones seem to come up for sale less frequently. It won't handle like a Crit bike, but it's a very comfortable ride.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-22-21, 10:15 AM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 112 Posts
E74196 May 1974 about the middle of the month, May 74 serials go to about 400. You should have left 2 hr ago at that price it wolnt last long at that price
Old 05-22-21, 10:25 AM
justcynn

Originally Posted by trainman999
E74196 May 1974 about the middle of the month, May 74 serials go to about 400. You should have left 2 hr ago at that price it wolnt last long at that price
thanks for the info. I thought the number was the numbered day of the year like later Schwinns. I plan to buy it.

thanks!
Likes For justcynn:
Old 05-22-21, 10:56 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Great bike, very good price. The rust on the spokes may be a problem but the wheels can alwas be rebuilt if need be.
Old 05-22-21, 11:32 AM
justcynn

Sold to me👍Thanks for the help!

Likes For justcynn:
Old 05-22-21, 05:55 PM
spudly

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 24 Posts
Congrats on a great bike (and at a very nice price)! Frame looks great and should clean up well. I like the years (like yours) that have the world stripes on the seat tube. And the black contrasts wonderfully with the chrome Nervex lugs.

Post some pics when you get it cleaned/sorted.
Likes For spudly:
Old 05-23-21, 12:52 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 258 Posts
You'll love it. I have two, a 1963 and a 1970 and I'm very fond of them both. So with the triple and gearing might it be a good candidate for you to ride in the BDB100 this year?
Old 05-23-21, 06:22 PM
justcynn

Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
You'll love it. I have two, a 1963 and a 1970 and I'm very fond of them both. So with the triple and gearing might it be a good candidate for you to ride in the BDB100 this year?

it will be a contender!. I did convert an ‘80 chrome Voyageur to a Tiagra triple 10 spd drive train which I really like. All the feels of a vintage with the modern group and 700x32 rubber .

And current project is going modern 10 spd 50/34 compact on a ‘87 Schwinn tempo.

I pick up the paramount Thursday. I am excited about it. But will likely be a wall hanger and birthday rider mostly. Def keeping to stock.

hope you are enjoying the cresta!
Likes For justcynn:
Old 05-25-21, 03:12 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 2,444 Times in 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn
it will be a contender!. I did convert an ‘80 chrome Voyageur to a Tiagra triple 10 spd drive train which I really like. All the feels of a vintage with the modern group and 700x32 rubber .

And current project is going modern 10 spd 50/34 compact on a ‘87 Schwinn tempo.

I pick up the paramount Thursday. I am excited about it. But will likely be a wall hanger and birthday rider mostly. Def keeping to stock.

hope you are enjoying the cresta!
Congrats on getting good bike at a good price. Around here (the Bay Area), that would be an excellent price. Heck, the crank alone would probably go for half of what you paid for the whole bike. And that Rally RD would fetch some bucks as well.

BTW, my memory and the 1974 Scwhinn catalog are in agreement: That Campagnolo Rally rear derailleur is almost certainly not original. It is period correct and consistent with someone doing what they thought was an upgrade at or shortly after purchase (my guess as to what happened), but the catalog shows the standard RD was a "GT 300 LeTour" (I'm 98% sure that is a rebadged long-cage Shimano Crane, in effect a first-gen Dura Ace). That squares with my memory. A few years earlier, it would have come with a Campy Gran Turismo, the best rear derailleur-shaped boat anchor ever made. (The Crane and the Rally were both significantly better RDs than the Gran Turismo.) I don't recall ever seeing a Rally as original equipment on a Paramount - but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Understand, I don't think it is a bad thing the Rally is there - I actually think it's very cool - and I certainly don't think it lessens the value of the bike - if anything, it increases the value. But I'm pretty sure it was swapped in for the original stock RD.
Old 05-25-21, 02:32 PM
justcynn

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Congrats on getting good bike at a good price. Around here (the Bay Area), that would be an excellent price. Heck, the crank alone would probably go for half of what you paid for the whole bike. And that Rally RD would fetch some bucks as well.

BTW, my memory and the 1974 Scwhinn catalog are in agreement: That Campagnolo Rally rear derailleur is almost certainly not original. It is period correct and consistent with someone doing what they thought was an upgrade at or shortly after purchase (my guess as to what happened), but the catalog shows the standard RD was a "GT 300 LeTour" (I'm 98% sure that is a rebadged long-cage Shimano Crane, in effect a first-gen Dura Ace). That squares with my memory. A few years earlier, it would have come with a Campy Gran Turismo, the best rear derailleur-shaped boat anchor ever made. (The Crane and the Rally were both significantly better RDs than the Gran Turismo.) I don't recall ever seeing a Rally as original equipment on a Paramount - but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Understand, I don't think it is a bad thing the Rally is there - I actually think it's very cool - and I certainly don't think it lessens the value of the bike - if anything, it increases the value. But I'm pretty sure it was swapped in for the original stock RD.
thanks for the info, this bike is before my era so don't have a lot of knowledge of the components, my oldest bikes before this one is a 1980 Chrome voyageur and 1977 LeTour III - I have seen Rally on some other photos of the same year, but they also could have been replacements or upgrades.

this is the benefit of living in a less populated state with fewer enthusiasts out there appreciating these old bikes. But also a curse,.... I see it, I know its a good deal, then a week later i see it again, ignore it and then eventually its an even better deal and I can't resist and before long - boom - there are 15 Bikes in the garage...