Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Rear hub help

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Rear hub help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 02:16 PM
home_mechanic

Bikes: Cannondale Trail 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear hub help

Hello everyone! I have a Cannondale Trail 8 with C4 hubs that I believe is from 2015, but i'm not entirely sure.
I am trying to replace the rear cassette, but I don't know what type of cassette will fit on my current hub. I was looking at getting the Shimano SLX M7100, but I don't know if that will fit my hub.
Any help would be great, thanks!
Old 06-10-21, 04:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
How many speeds is your shifter for? That will be more important because it is unlikely a Cannondale offered a bike with a freehub that doesn't handle the number of speeds of the shifter. The newest version of the bike uses Shimano Tourney which on that bike is 7 speed it is possible the older version was a minor upgrade from that but more than likely not by much. In 2015 I don't believe they did an 8 so the 7 would be the lowest end version and that one was equipped with the one step up from Tourney, Altus and happened to be 8 speed. You can post pictures when you get to 10 posts or Google or Ask Jeeves will work really well.

12 speed cassettes from Shimano are compatible with a new Microspline freehub and you may not find wheels for quick release 135mm hubs that also support that. Nor would I want to spend that kind of money on that particular bike.
Old 06-10-21, 07:44 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Actually, the Shimano FH-MT500 hub is a microspline and 135 quick release. I did search for some wheels a few months ago and noticed some affordable wheels with that hub.

Or, could just get a 12 speed cassette from another make that fits current hub and save money. Sunrace has several available 12 speed cassette's.

(not sure why he above sentence is bolded like this, but .... oh well... )
Old 06-11-21, 10:14 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Any SRAM or Shimano cassette with the same number of speeds as you currently have will work. You will probably looking for something in the 11-32 or so range.
Old 06-12-21, 09:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but given the question you're asking your screen name is a bit optimistic.