Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My experience learning how to adjust the front and rear derailleurs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My experience learning how to adjust the front and rear derailleurs

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-23, 11:23 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by mara777
Recently bought a used bike. It was shifting horribly, chain rubbing very bad and noisy, rear derailleur clicking/popping, chain rubbing on itself (in the rear derailleur) while on smallest cog...
The rubbing and the clicking/popping is one problem…a cable problem. The chain rubbing on itself while in smallest cog is a completely different problem. That problem is a chain length issue.

Spent many hours this week learning and working on adjustments... Was going to give up after the first day because I was having such a hard time. Stressed myself out trying to find a LBS (there are none within 45 minutes of me so I don't know where to go).... Spent more time learning and finally figured everything out! I feel so proud of myself!!

But kind of embarrassing... The last thing I needed to figure out was indexing. I couldn't do it because I needed to turn the barrel adjuster clockwise, but it was already turned as far as it could go...

Couldn't find anything helpful online (trying to google if my cable was too tight). Was ready to unclamp and loosen the cable...
If the barrel adjuster is out as far as it will go, you should unclamp and retension the cable (not loosen it). Be careful if the barrel adjuster is out as far as it will go as it is easy to disconnect it from the derailer. That will cause shifting problems as well since there is no longer predictable tension on the cable. The cable can flex with the loose barrel adjuster and the derailer won’t work properly.

​​​​​​​Finally, this morning, I took a look and realized the bike has TWO barrel adjusters 😳😅. None of the videos or articles mentioned anything about two barrel adjusters (maybe assume we already know that???). I had been only using the one near the rear derailleur, but I vaguely remember earlier this week playing around with the one near the handlebars. I had that one turned counterclockwise all the way. Indexing was quick and easy after I adjusted it 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Okay, you’ve got the problem fixed but only just. Your cable has stretched from the initial installation. Cables do that. They have about a 0.5% construction stretch in them even when prestretched from the factory. That works out to be about 5mm over a 1m long cable. The shifter moves cable in fractions of a mm for a shift so being off by 5mm is a huge amount. You need to release the anchor bolt, screw in your barrel adjuster most of the way, pull up the slack of the cable, and reset the anchor nut. You don’t really need much adjustment to release tension on the screw as most of the adjustment needed will be for cables that are too slack.

When you reanchor the cable, the cable should be taut but not super tight, especially for the rear. It shouldn’t be like a guitar string but you shouldn’t be able to pull it away from the frame much either. You can now make slight adjustments with barrel adjuster. Shimano, in my experience, works best with a little more slack than SRAM. The front derailer cable will be also be tighter than the rear for both.

Finally, once you have most of the construction stretch out of the cable, you won’t experience much more cable adjustment over time. I shorten that initial stretch by pulling the cable up tight and shifting the system without pedaling. I shift 3 to 4 gears a few times and check the cable tautness. It is usually quite slack and I readjust. This significantly decrease the amount of adjustment I need to do.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-31-23, 11:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by mara777
Was just trying to make conversation/share my excitement over figuring something out that was very frustrating.

I had no idea there was more than one adjuster for the same cable, and I guess most sources (even for "beginners") just assume you already know that?
Pay little attention to people who tell you that you have to list specifics about your bike. I’ve worked on 15,000 to 20,000 bikes over the last 10 to 15 years at my local co-op. In that time, I’ve seen just about every mechanical derailer made in the last 50 years The vast majority have shifting problems that can be fixed with a simple cable adjustment. I don’t need to know anything about the derailer or drivetrain or miles or model of bike to properly assess and correct the problem…nor do you nor anyone else. They all work the same and any minor nuances are just that…minor. Once you realize that and that the cable is almost always the problem, fixing the problem become easy.

Feel good about figuring out the problem on your own. You did well and any thing I’ve said above is only minor quibbles that aren’t necessary but might make you life easier in the future.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: