Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Coca-Cola Zero/Diet Soda

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 07:07 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coca-Cola Zero/Diet Soda

I cut out soda's completely two months ago, but after a while I started drinking a diet soda every now and then. Today I had my first Coke Zero and it tasted EXACTLY like regular coke. This is awesome, but it's bad at the same time. I have an addictive personality, so I need to make sure I don't over do the diet coke. My other favorite is diet Dr. Pepper.

Post your favorite drinks, or your experience with Coke Zero.
Old 09-03-12, 07:18 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I liked the taste of coke zero too, but diet drinks are now off of my diet. There's convincing evidence that they affect weight loss negatively in several ways:

1) People who drink them rationalize eating more since the drinks are 'free'
2) artificial sweeteners can mess with your metabolism, because your body expects to see some simple carbs once you've tasted them, then assumes something is wrong when they don't arrive, and your body slows your metabolism in response because it doesn't know how much energy it will need to conserve if your body is in fact having issues digesting carbs.
3) similar to the above, your body commands you to go out and eat more as well, in case your body is only partially digesting carbs, thinking you'll need more food.

Basically, they screw with you and can be counter productive. I stopped drinking them altogether 3 weeks ago and have noticed a slight acceleration of my weight loss. I will need more time and more experimentation to be sure, but it seems promising so far.
Old 09-03-12, 07:55 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I gave up soda 2 years ago and frankly don't feel the lack. I used to power through diet coke like nobody's business but as Mithrandir noted, there is some discussion about the deleterious effects of the stuff on your metabolism. I'll still periodically have one but it tastes nasty to me now. I really like water... I have a reverse osmosis system and keep a pitcher in the fridge and that stuff is glorious I tell you.

I tried coke zero when it first came out and it tasted nasty to me - NOTHING like regular coke. I think they've improved it but still, I steer clear.
Old 09-03-12, 08:33 PM
WillCorrington

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still drink some soda here and there. Diet Root Beer is #1, then Diet Dew, then Diet Cherry 7up. I don't drink it all the time, but my girlfriend drinks it and has it in the house so I indulge now and then.
Old 09-03-12, 08:44 PM
ILClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
I liked the taste of coke zero too, but diet drinks are now off of my diet. There's convincing evidence that they affect weight loss negatively in several ways:

2) artificial sweeteners can mess with your metabolism, because your body expects to see some simple carbs once you've tasted them, then assumes something is wrong when they don't arrive, and your body slows your metabolism in response because it doesn't know how much energy it will need to conserve if your body is in fact having issues digesting carbs.
3) similar to the above, your body commands you to go out and eat more as well, in case your body is only partially digesting carbs, thinking you'll need more food.

Basically, they screw with you and can be counter productive. I stopped drinking them altogether 3 weeks ago and have noticed a slight acceleration of my weight loss. I will need more time and more experimentation to be sure, but it seems promising so far.
^This x1000. Water. Just drink water. If you need it flavored put some fresh lemon in it.

Also, at the pizza place I worked at in college, the distributor guy who came to reload us every week on soda (carbonation tanks and syrup boxes) told me the he had to replace the hoses on the DIET LINES ONLY every year. The diet pop ate through the hoses.
Old 09-03-12, 10:19 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Come on guys! Leave me at least one vice. I don't smoke, drink, or cuss. As a non-coffee and tea drinker, I have to get my caffeine somehow.

But ... I have discovered that if I have a diet soda after lunchtime, I'm wired until 10:30 or 11:00. That makes it tough when the alarm goes off at 4:30 the next morning.
Old 09-03-12, 10:24 PM
magohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
Come on guys! Leave me at least one vice. I don't smoke, drink, or cuss. As a non-coffee and tea drinker, I have to get my caffeine somehow.

But ... I have discovered that if I have a diet soda after lunchtime, I'm wired until 10:30 or 11:00. That makes it tough when the alarm goes off at 4:30 the next morning.
+1 This. I drink diet and the odd regular soda. We are only human
Old 09-03-12, 10:26 PM
redvespablur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drink perrier instead of diet soda. No sugar or sweetener so no insulin response. The fizzy water still feels like a treat
Old 09-03-12, 10:43 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately I'm a diet-soft drink addict (Zero and Light as Diet Coke is called in Europe), and even though I do drink plenty of water, I find myself craving for the stuff.

Like Volosong, I don't smoke, drink or cuss, but I am a regular coffee drinker, having 1-2 espressos per day and have started to worry that consuming all this stuff is going to have a serious affect on my health.
Old 09-03-12, 11:50 PM
OiS

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.9 Project One Livestrong, Single Speed "Tokyo Bike", BH 29'er, Trek California Cruiser Classic Springer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redvespablur
I drink perrier instead of diet soda. No sugar or sweetener so no insulin response. The fizzy water still feels like a treat
+1, although the bottles are a bit on the small size, and I do go through a lot of them!

I also still drink the occasional Coke Zero, I am trying to phase it out altogether.
Old 09-04-12, 12:06 AM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mithrandir

The key word is can. Dr. Atkins limits you to three per day, and if three a day stalls your weight loss, cut back. They personally have no adverse effect on my metabolism, appetite, or cravings. Sure, they still aren't good, but they are okay in moderation, just like most things. If you exercise, drink lots of water and watch what you eat you should have no problem.
Old 09-04-12, 12:10 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Just be careful - I found out a few months ago that I am one of those people that gets cramps from Aspertame - Its only one in 20 thousand but if you start getting nightly leg cramps you may have to layoff the diet stuff...
Old 09-04-12, 04:55 AM
BionicChris

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tarmac Comp, 2015 Merida Reacto 5000, 2015 Giant Trinity Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to drink about a litre of coke a day, I stopped when I got ill though and only had it semi regularly. When I started dieting I lost 1lb a week purely from not drinking fizzy drinks.
Old 09-04-12, 06:29 AM
EL LUCHADOR

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one 20oz diet mtn dew for me, almost every day.

i gave up coffee completely in 2009 but i still need some caffeine.

im hoping to give this up this year though
Old 09-04-12, 06:37 AM
The_DK

Bikes: 2003 Trek 7300, 2012 CAAD 10 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love diet soda! Coke Zero is great, I like it more than regular coke (it's weird from the fountain, though.)
Dr. Pepper from a fountain is my second favorite.
Diet Mtn Dew... I drink about half a gallon of it every day.

(Well, I get 44oz Dr. Pepper in the morning, three cans of coke zero during the day, and I go for an hour walk at lunch with a 64oz Diet Mtn Dew.)

The best part is if I'm feeling hungry, but can't eat (digestive issues, I have to carefully time meals) the diet soda really helps suppress my appetite.

I am definitely over caffeinated though... =)
Old 09-04-12, 07:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
I don't smoke, drink, or cuss.
Niether do I. Oh crap! I left my cigarettes at the bar last night!

So don't drink a diet soda in the afternoon.
Old 09-04-12, 08:57 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Axiom
I had my first Coke Zero and it tasted EXACTLY like regular coke.
To you it might, to me it doesn't. It's way better than Diet Coke, but still a far cry from the fully-leaded version.
Old 09-04-12, 09:45 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Give up the caffeine

You'll love it, trust me. I gave up caffeine a few years back and I sleep and feel much better as a result. The first few weeks will be rough, of course, but worth it in the end.
Old 09-04-12, 09:45 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I really like the taste of diet coke and diet dr. pepper...... but for me i find that I react to them. Oddly jittery. and it is not the caffeine, as the same thing doesn't happen with black coffee. So I stay away (maybe 1 can a month if that). I have to say that the best is an 8oz can of ice cold reall Coke over shave ice......that is about a once quarter thing.

YMMV

Old 09-04-12, 02:41 PM
JDNM

Bikes: Schwinn Impact Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILClyde
^This x1000. Water. Just drink water. If you need it flavored put some fresh lemon in it.
Ditto! Drink green tea if you have to have something.
Old 09-04-12, 03:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Axiom
Post your favorite drinks
  1. Water
  2. Iced tea
  3. Water with some lime
  4. Espresso (with cream but no sugar)
Old 09-04-12, 03:48 PM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_DK
I love diet soda! Coke Zero is great, I like it more than regular coke (it's weird from the fountain, though.)
Dr. Pepper from a fountain is my second favorite.
Diet Mtn Dew... I drink about half a gallon of it every day.

(Well, I get 44oz Dr. Pepper in the morning, three cans of coke zero during the day, and I go for an hour walk at lunch with a 64oz Diet Mtn Dew.)

The best part is if I'm feeling hungry, but can't eat (digestive issues, I have to carefully time meals) the diet soda really helps suppress my appetite.

I am definitely over caffeinated though... =)
Not for nothin, but any chance the digestive issues could be coming partially from the 144 oz of diet soda each day? (and don't get me wrong, I drink diet soda but that is in technical terms a metric crap-ton of soda.)
Old 09-04-12, 04:01 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by magohn
+1 This. I drink diet and the odd regular soda. We are only human
+2. Diet Coke is my vice of choice. I love it. If I am tempted by food I have a pop instead. If it is afternoon, I go caffeine free.
Old 09-04-12, 04:09 PM
Wait For Me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't drink diet soda any more, then again I don't drink it any less either
Old 09-04-12, 04:29 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love diet coke & diet pepsi. Probably the last vice I will be able to kick, if ever.

I switched from regular sugared soda to diet coke sometime in the mid-late 80's. Can't stand sugary sodas anymore. I love diet colas, though.

I gave up beer and fruit juices as part of my lifestyle change this spring. Diet coke is non-negotiable, though. I have cut back a little bit by drinking tea and guayusa mid-afternoon. Gotta have some diet cola, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.