Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-11, 07:04 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
If the caliper is rocking it can be tightened up, they do flex some, even the steel ones. I don't see any Armstrong bikes around here, in fact I seldom see ANY British bikes outside of my own personal accumulation.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-17-11, 07:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Aaron, where are you? Not on the road, I take it.

Scott, tighten up the center bolt to the point that the brake doesn't bind. It will have to have a little slop, but not much. And I can attest that Kool Stop Continentals make the bike brake extremely well in dry weather. In wet weather, there's a delay for drying the rim, but after that, it's sort-of OK. Ride more slowly, brake early, plan ahead.

My 3-speed has its original brake cables. They're extra thick, and I hope I never have to replace them. I wish we could still get cables this thick. Talk about quality!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-11, 10:49 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Some of these old steel calipers rock, or flex, even when the center bolts are tightened.
Armstrong put these stay braces on to prevent the arms from submarining under the stays on hard braking. - An unlikely occurrence I think, but I can still appreciate why it seemed like a good idea.

Old 09-18-11, 12:32 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Some of the older Raleighs used the same caliper with the brace and before Kool Stops you could fit Fibrax brake pads which are still available... they do squeal more when they are dry and are designed for wet weather braking with steel rims.

My daughter's R20 has vintage Matthauser "Super Brake" pads installed on it's steel calipers (British 451 equipped models used these) and the braking is very good in all conditions.... she is 1/3 my size but can cruise along at 15-20 kmh and sprints up to 30 kmh and the braking is more than adequate.

With the export version and it's alloy calipers the braking is barely passable with Kool Stops and an alloy front wheel as I have set up on my R20 and will be adding V-brakes in the near future.
Old 09-18-11, 12:33 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Scott... that is a beautiful find.

Although I cannot credit Sheldon Brown for my love of English three speeds it is a love we shared although he really renewed my interest in Raleigh 20's.

My mom's friend had suffered from polio and used canes to walk but also rode a Raleigh 20 and believe the low step over and very stable nature of the bike is what appealed to her and at a very young age of maybe 6 I was always fascinated by her little folding bicycle.

Now I often need a cane to walk and also appreciate the same virtues of the 20 and when I was getting back on the bike my Phillip's 20 was the vehicle that allowed me to ride when I could not swing a leg over or dismount from a standard sized bicycle.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 09-18-11 at 12:37 AM.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 09-18-11, 05:56 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by noglider
Aaron, where are you? Not on the road, I take it.
Tom,
I live near Fort Bragg, NC right between the Coastal Plains (robbietunes) and the Sandhills, that is when I am at home. FWIW all of my British bikes except one have been brought in from other parts of the country, most from either the upper Midwest or New England.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 09-18-11, 06:10 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
So, who's going to the "All British Cycling Event" this weekend?

I'm planning on being there...
If the rain breaks this morning, three of us will ride up from St. Paul.

If I get the Hercules back together, I'll ride her.

Otherwise the Bob Jackson.
Old 09-18-11, 07:27 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Auchen: The Standard Model K my wife rides (1956) also has those braced pads - and they come into play very regularly. The calipers flex enough that the pad will brace itself against the stay for most stops (you can hear a light tick as they move forward). I think designers were worried about a power brake effect: if they start to go under the stay they apply themselves very hard as they are squeezed into a tight space.....the brace keeps things manageable.

I'm going to have to find a local source for the Kool Stop Salmons just to try them.....braking on steel rims is not very good, but then I'm not very fast!

Mark
Old 09-18-11, 03:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Thanks, guys! Even though there is a lot more wear than my crummy iPhone picture shows, this thing has gotten compliments wherever I go.

The saddle is a Wrights, and I'm sure it's original. There's nothing wrong with it, but I don't like the way the edges feel, so I'd like to upgrade. Let's see -- B17 or B72? Hmmm.

I've tried tightening down the bolt on the front caliper, but I started worrying about bending something with the effort I was putting into it. I just took it on another test ride around the neighborhood. It's been drizzling a little, so it was the perfect chance to test out the wet-weather braking. The fronts seem to rock and "pulse" a little less, but it could also be that I was using a firmer grip to re-dry those rims. The rears were nearly useless -- I'm changing my order to include a set of Kool-Stops for the rear as well! I'll be losing those cool stay braces though. Has anyone tried fabricating limit stops that can be bolted into the arms? Looks like there's plenty of room.

- Scott
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-18-11, 04:10 PM
Toeslider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just made a thread with one I acquired this weekend, then saw this thread. If anyone knows the year I would appreciate it! AMF? Hercules ladies 3-speed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20110918_162154.jpg (92.1 KB, 150 views)
Old 09-18-11, 05:54 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Toeslider
Just made a thread with one I acquired this weekend, then saw this thread. If anyone knows the year I would appreciate it! AMF? Hercules ladies 3-speed.

Hi Toeslider -
Just look for the 2-place date code on the Sturmey Archer hub. Chances are it's original, and it will pinpoint the date for you.
Old 09-18-11, 06:08 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Thanks, guys! Even though there is a lot more wear than my crummy iPhone picture shows, this thing has gotten compliments wherever I go.

The saddle is a Wrights, and I'm sure it's original. There's nothing wrong with it, but I don't like the way the edges feel, so I'd like to upgrade. Let's see -- B17 or B72? Hmmm.

I've tried tightening down the bolt on the front caliper, but I started worrying about bending something with the effort I was putting into it. I just took it on another test ride around the neighborhood. It's been drizzling a little, so it was the perfect chance to test out the wet-weather braking. The fronts seem to rock and "pulse" a little less, but it could also be that I was using a firmer grip to re-dry those rims. The rears were nearly useless -- I'm changing my order to include a set of Kool-Stops for the rear as well! I'll be losing those cool stay braces though. Has anyone tried fabricating limit stops that can be bolted into the arms? Looks like there's plenty of room.

- Scott
To tighten up the brake you need a wrench and a large screwdriver for that front screw. I will have to do the process again to be able do describe it properly.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 09-18-11, 06:08 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
My handlebars on my Sports started to rotate while I was out riding. When I got home I tightened the stem clamp but they still rotated so under pressure so I tightened some more and stripped the stem bolt. For the time being, I added three washers above the nut so that nut would be on thread. It still rotates under normal force of riding. I have a feeling the problem is with the handlebar serrations or lack their of, but the handlebars are otherwise in great shape, with good chrome. I am purchasing another Raleigh bolt (with the stem, from eBay). I would rather not have to purchase another handlebar too.

Any ideas? Should I try Loctite?
Old 09-18-11, 06:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
To tighten up the brake you need a wrench and a large screwdriver for that front screw. I will have to do the process again to be able do describe it properly.

Aaron
Yeah, I used a thicker-than usual screwdriver in front, and a 7/16" wrench on the nut (might not be original). Rest assured, I'm not just spinning the bolt around.

- Scott
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-18-11, 07:43 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
My handlebars on my Sports started to rotate while I was out riding. When I got home I tightened the stem clamp but they still rotated so under pressure so I tightened some more and stripped the stem bolt. For the time being, I added three washers above the nut so that nut would be on thread. It still rotates under normal force of riding. I have a feeling the problem is with the handlebar serrations or lack their of, but the handlebars are otherwise in great shape, with good chrome. I am purchasing another Raleigh bolt (with the stem, from eBay). I would rather not have to purchase another handlebar too.

Any ideas? Should I try Loctite?
Assuming all parts are original, I suspect the cause for the handlebars rotating is that the bolt was initially under-torqued - and then subsequently over-torqued.

- Apart from threads being stripped, it is also possible that the little anti-rotation nib under the head of the bolt has been compromised, such that you cannot attain adequate clamping load before it begins to rotate.

- Of course w/o physically inspecting the parts, I am speculating, but I am confident that the new stem & bolt will be sufficient to obviate the problem, provided it is manufactured to Raleigh's original specs.
Old 09-18-11, 08:06 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Went for a nice pootle on the 20 this afternoon... pace was easy and the sun was bright and warm... a simply beautiful fall day.

Stopped off and picked up a little hardware to turn an old generator headlamp into an LED marker light and this turned out really well... those modern lights just do not look right on a 40 year old 3 speed.
Old 09-18-11, 08:07 PM
jrecoi

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bobbin Bicycles recently showed off at Interbike its version of the Raleigh Shopper, the non-folding version of the Raleigh Twenty. It comes stock with V-brakes and Sturmey Archer gear. From the photographs, the fenders are a tad wonky but overall it seems like a very faithful revival/reproduction of the Shopper. Its priced around 550 USD. Most importantly it comes in British Green.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovely_...n/photostream/
Old 09-18-11, 08:20 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by jrecoi
Bobbin Bicycles recently showed off at Interbike its version of the Raleigh Shopper, the non-folding version of the Raleigh Twenty. It comes stock with V-brakes and Sturmey Archer gear. From the photographs, the fenders are a tad wonky but overall it seems like a very faithful revival/reproduction of the Shopper. Its priced around 550 USD. Most importantly it comes in British Green.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovely_...n/photostream/
Nice... considering that refitting a 20 with V brakes and better rims is not an inexpensive job.

$120.00 to rebuild the wheels with high quality rims, $80.00 for the brazing, and then you have to refinish the frame... but then you will still have a genuine R20 and not a reproduction.
Old 09-18-11, 08:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

A few pictures...

Temp was about 15C so a little wool was nice...

A thermos of hot tea for those inevitable stops along the way... now that the front light is rocking an LED I can ditch the front knog and will do the same for the rear with an orphan rear housing.

Attached Images
2011fallpootleR20.jpg (97.9 KB, 430 views)
2011fallpootleme.jpg (103.1 KB, 956 views)
Old 09-18-11, 08:40 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by auchencrow
- Apart from threads being stripped, it is also possible that the little anti-rotation nib under the head of the bolt has been compromised, such that you cannot attain adequate clamping load before it begins to rotate.
Thanks for the reply,

I think your first assumption is correct but the one quoted above is not. First if it were I would not have been able to torque the bolt enough to strip the threads. The bolt would have spun. The little nub is fine. I will check the stem against the new (to me) one. As far I can tell only the handlebar has serrations and the stem clamp does not.

-roger
Old 09-18-11, 10:47 PM
jrecoi

Bikes: 1961 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Went for a nice pootle on the 20 this afternoon... pace was easy and the sun was bright and warm... a simply beautiful fall day.

Stopped off and picked up a little hardware to turn an old generator headlamp into an LED marker light and this turned out really well... those modern lights just do not look right on a 40 year old 3 speed.
Are you going to do a step by step on the conversion? I'm thinking of changing an Indian Miller dynamo light set to LED.
Old 09-19-11, 05:52 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Tony Hadland has written a new book that appears to be a "complete history of Raleigh". Available here for pre-order here
https://www.amazon.com/Raleigh-Iconic...6475895&sr=8-1 but for 20% less here
https://www.buy.com/prod/raleigh/221182037.html but still pricey. Release date is 10/15/11.
Old 09-19-11, 06:12 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Had a great time at the "All British" bike event this weekend in New Brighton.

https://www.abcetour.com/

I was able to meet our very own John Thompson, and he brought along a beauty of a Viscount.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I believe he came in first place in the "pastry joust" competition!

Great storytelling, food, people to meet, and of course, the amazing bicycles.

Here's a photo of our bikes at the event.

Old 09-19-11, 06:13 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by jrecoi
Are you going to do a step by step on the conversion? I'm thinking of changing an Indian Miller dynamo light set to LED.
If you want a front LED to provide enough light the conversion requires a little more work than fitting an off the peg high intensity blinking into the old light.

My friend does these conversions and will have to record his procedure for doing this.

In other news, I heard that there will soon be LED bulbs produced that will replace the thread in 6v bulbs used in many older dynamo lights and that conversion will be as simple as screwing in the new bulb which will have all the required circuitry.
Likes For Sixty Fiver:
Old 09-19-11, 06:15 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Had a great time at the "All British" bike event this weekend in New Brighton.
Nice event, were there any brave fools on Moultons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.