Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the EcoHelmet?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 05:47 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
The article says that the helmet is wax covered to make it waterproof, but in many cases these wax coverings make the paper/cardboard useless for recycling; my area will not recycle cardboard milk cartons.

I'm curious where they will get the paper to mass produce the helmets. How many trees are we talking here...?
Old 09-20-16, 07:31 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I'm curious where they will get the paper to mass produce the helmets. How many trees are we talking here...?
One or two should cover the likely production run of this product.
Old 09-20-16, 08:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Whole shipping containers of cardboard is what goes back to China , re pulped, made into a new box.

Though there are shiploads of timber coming out of PNW ports going there too.
Old 09-20-16, 08:53 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Zukoda
I'd be curious about the longevity of it - I sweat a LOT and would be worried whether this could hold up for an entire ride or not.
I do too, and after a couple rides I think it would be time to toss it in the trash, sorry, recycle bin.
Old 09-20-16, 09:35 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
A lot of "recycled" material unfortunately also goes to India and other exceedingly poor places, where starving kids pick through the piles for the one -in-one hundred usable piece and the rest is landfilled.

U.S. municipalia have realized that the law says they have to collect a certain percentage of the waste stream as recyclables and send them to be processed ... but it doesn't say and cannot control whether the recipient simply landfills the lot ... and including shipping that can sometimes be done more cheaply in India or Sri Lanka or Bangladesh than it can in in New Jersey or Ohio.

Nowadays people throw almost everything plastic, paper, or cardboard into the recycling bins ... but only a fraction of it gets recycled. Sorry.
Old 09-20-16, 12:57 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A lot of "recycled" material unfortunately also goes to India and other exceedingly poor places, where starving kids pick through the piles for the one -in-one hundred usable piece and the rest is landfilled.

U.S. municipalia have realized that the law says they have to collect a certain percentage of the waste stream as recyclables and send them to be processed ... but it doesn't say and cannot control whether the recipient simply landfills the lot ... and including shipping that can sometimes be done more cheaply in India or Sri Lanka or Bangladesh than it can in in New Jersey or Ohio.

Nowadays people throw almost everything plastic, paper, or cardboard into the recycling bins ... but only a fraction of it gets recycled. Sorry.
I had no idea. Thanks for the input. We empty our recycling bin here about three times a week while the trash only about once a week. Unfortunate to hear that most of it isn't even being recycled.
Old 09-20-16, 01:01 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The article says that the helmet is wax covered to make it waterproof, but in many cases these wax coverings make the paper/cardboard useless for recycling; my area will not recycle cardboard milk cartons.

Milk/juice containers don't contain wax fyi if you were suggesting that. It's a thin coating of plastic. My area accepts them for recycling but most areas don't. Haven't come across waxed cardboard since I worked at a grocery store a few years back. At the time we had to throw it away.
Old 09-20-16, 01:43 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I'd much rather see some kind of adjustable helmet available at bike share stands. Maybe people could purchase their own internal liner to deal with the hygiene issues. Just rent a shell with one of the rear wheel adjustments and pop in your own liner (which is padded to fit you). Maybe use a snap system like the Bern helmets have. The liner would easily pack up into a purse or briefcase or other bag.
Old 09-20-16, 01:53 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I was just thinking... this helmet made of paper, will it skid on the pavement like plastic covered styrofoam helmets in order to prevent neck injury, or will it (assuming it doesn't just fall apart when you hit your head on the pavement) catch and drag on concrete yanking your neck back? I'd think this flimsy paper wouldn't skid on concrete very well.
Old 09-20-16, 02:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I will not buy one, unless they are for sale in say Italy when I travel there. But a helmet that can be obtained for close to nothing, folds up and fits in a purse or bag and that can be worn for week then recycled with no guilt about either money spent or landfill pollution; sounds like a winner for both the tourist and the host city, especially the smaller businesses that cannot afford parking.

This helmet doesn't look much worse than a lot of the helmets I see out there which are presumably CPSC approved.

And in response to I-Like-To-Bike, $5 for a one time use is a lot, unless you have to pay $35 to get that "real" helmet to rent that bike.

Ben
Old 09-20-16, 05:02 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
100% recyclable paper according to the website. No plastic.

So the straps are paper too? That's comforting.
Old 09-20-16, 05:56 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
So the straps are paper too? That's comforting.
Cardboard. I can't tell how it connects below the neck though.

Upon further reading the helmet is coated in a biodegradable coating that is rain proof for up to 3 hours.

Videos of the helmet going through impact test are available online. I'm impressed.
Old 09-21-16, 07:05 AM
work4bike

Milk/juice containers don't contain wax fyi if you were suggesting that. It's a thin coating of plastic. My area accepts them for recycling but most areas don't. Haven't come across waxed cardboard since I worked at a grocery store a few years back. At the time we had to throw it away.
You are correct, I stand corrected. I was going off very old information that I remember reading from my local recycling program from years ago.

However, my point is still valid that these wax-covered helmets are not recyclable. Ask the Editor: Recycling Wax Paper - Earth911.com
Old 09-21-16, 09:11 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
with the amount of times you ride and dispose of the helmet after like 24-40 rides you can easily own one of these which folds into a manageable form.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...t-technology#/

Closca | Fuga: urban and foldable bike helmets ? safety certified

both are fully certified CPSC (US)/Canada.
Old 09-21-16, 01:31 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are correct, I stand corrected. I was going off very old information that I remember reading from my local recycling program from years ago.

However, my point is still valid that these wax-covered helmets are not recyclable. Ask the Editor: Recycling Wax Paper - Earth911.com
Read post #62 though... The coating is biodegradable not permanent.
Old 09-21-16, 02:55 PM
work4bike

Read post #62 though... The coating is biodegradable not permanent.
Yes, I know it's coated with a corn-based biodegradable wax, which makes it a great candidate for composting, but not so much for recycling, at least for now....

From what I gathered, there are some that are looking into how to recycle these products, but as of now they are best for the compost pile. What NOT to Put in the Bin - Earth911.com
Old 09-21-16, 02:59 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to put this up in my condo complex. The crap that makes its way into the recycle bin is incredible. Couches, trash etc.
Old 09-21-16, 09:26 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It reminds me that I need to buy new decorations this Halloween.

I can see how it's supposed to protect, but I think that plastic would be a better material -- unless you can guarantee never having to ride on a wet day. If it DOES protect, and the price is reasonable, it should find a ready market with commuters. I wish her every success.
Old 09-22-16, 07:01 AM
work4bike

I need to put this up in my condo complex. The crap that makes its way into the recycle bin is incredible. Couches, trash etc.
It's a problem across the country. Here are two very interesting articles that address this problem. What's really bad is that you can contaminate a whole batch of recyclables with something like a greasy pizza box...

Plastic Bags, Mailing Envelopes, and Food Containers Aren't Worth Recycling - CityLab

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...00c_story.html
Old 09-22-16, 07:13 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Statistically speaking, pedestrians and motorists need this helmet more than cyclists. They have so much more fatalities than cyclists do.
Old 09-22-16, 02:25 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a problem across the country. Here are two very interesting articles that address this problem. What's really bad is that you can contaminate a whole batch of recyclables with something like a greasy pizza box...

Plastic Bags, Mailing Envelopes, and Food Containers Aren't Worth Recycling - CityLab

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...00c_story.html
Thanks for the link. I think a big issue in my complex is the lack of English speakers here. A majority of my neighbors are from the Middle East due to the companies we have around here.
Old 09-23-16, 11:43 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5999 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Statistically speaking, pedestrians and motorists need this helmet more than cyclists. They have so much more fatalities than cyclists do.
In the autumn it can get quite windy here, so might get hit by branch when cycling.
Old 09-23-16, 12:31 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Much more "eco" to buy a helmet than to produce and recycle paper helmets. Why do people renting bikes need paper helmets instead of plastic ones?
That was my thought, too. If it's paper, it's going to soak up sweat and wear out. If its plastic impregnated paper, why not just use an expanded polystryene helmet? More durable. No need to replace frequently. You're using plastic anyway.

The eco helmet also looks like it has limited cranial coverage. "Eco" is small consolation if the limited coverage of the helmet leads to traumatic brain injury.
Old 09-23-16, 01:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
If I were you I would lay off the "statistical speaking" about risk since you seem to have no clue on how how to accurately measure or evaluate it.
Old 11-29-16, 08:53 AM
work4bike

I came across this article from bicycling magazine and it has a video in the link. Not a good message showing the rider throwing away the hat after a very brief ride. Would You Wear a Paper Helmet? | Bicycling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.