Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

More Pakit Updates?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

More Pakit Updates?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 05:34 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
More Pakit Updates?

I'm interested to know, especially, how a single speed (which is most affordable) would work. I would use it in traveling/exploring.
Old 01-30-17, 10:12 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the countries you are going to visit are pretty flat and no hills, then go for it. but if there's alot of hills at your destinations you better be a strong rider to take on those hills with one gear else you'll probably want to keep it at the mid 60's gear inches which I can go up 6-7% grades pretty well with my single speed, but not all day long if you are touring cause you'll wear out eventually and wished you had a lower gear to spin up at the end of the day.
Old 01-30-17, 01:15 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You have lots of bikes, so you already understand the pluses and minus of a single speed ... simple, robust, light, but no gears ... so what exactly are you asking?
Old 02-03-17, 08:34 AM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
You have lots of bikes, so you already understand the pluses and minus of a single speed ... simple, robust, light, but no gears ... so what exactly are you asking?
I have never ridden a single speed. I suppose I just want to know how it would be to get a SS Pakit for travel. Not that I should....
Old 02-03-17, 08:54 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by profjmb
I have never ridden a single speed. I suppose I just want to know how it would be to get a SS Pakit for travel. Not that I should....
You might want to test out the single speed part. Just ride around a moderately hilly place leaving your bike in a single gear.

As for a travel bike ... simple, light, and robust are all big pluses since the bike can get beat up a bit via travel and sometimes resources elsewhere are quite different than at home.
Old 02-03-17, 08:02 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I like SS riding a lot and have several single speed bikes with about 65 to 72 gear inches on them. I think I like single speed more so because of the simplicity when riding. Nothing to do but pedal hard going up hill and coast and smell the flowers when going down hill. I can ride confortably in the 8 to 15 MPH range. Would I use this for loaded touring or racing no but for a nice 10 mile evenig ride it is great. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 02-05-17 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-05-17, 12:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Low Step over frame tube makes getting off and pushing the bike up hills pretty easy..

putting much serious climbing torque will scrub rubber off those little tires pretty quckly .

So, on your trip, pack extra Tires..