Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Taipei

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 12:31 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Taipei

I'm off to Taipei for a few days and just wondered if anyone could advise on what are the best shops / areas for someone interested in folding bikes to check out ?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 02-07-17, 02:25 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you could always contact the Tern folks and see if they have a minute for you :-)
Old 02-08-17, 09:07 AM
bike.gang.uk

Bikes: Brompton H3L, RAF, M3L, Dahon, Giant NRS, GT

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
I'm off to Taipei for a few days and just wondered if anyone could advise on what are the best shops / areas for someone interested in folding bikes to check out ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jesler Bicycles have one shop near Taipei Central Station, they offer Birdy and Brompton and other bikes.

While bikegang hut has quite a few modification parts for brompton and birdy. let me know if you need further info.

If you have time, can always visit Pacific cycle museum, but that will be closer to airport than Taipei city.
Old 02-08-17, 09:46 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
don't forget pictures and lots of it for us forumers , if you can visit those major offices (Pacific and Tern) and they let you in that'll be a wicked bonus!

I had a 20 hr layover but with the family so only thing we can do was sleep and then jump on the bullet train to Ximending to walk around and eat and look at stuff. It was basically a snatch and grab taste of Taiwan unfortunately for me! especially Taiwan being such a bicycle manufacturing capital! If I stayed longer i'd be afraid of picking up a bike there but I already grabbed one and stashed in the luggage already before getting there .
Old 02-08-17, 07:00 PM
bikexpert

Bikes: BIRDY, CARRYME

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bike.gang.uk
Jesler Bicycles

Jesler Bicycles have one shop near Taipei Central Station, they offer Birdy and Brompton and other bikes.

While bikegang hut has quite a few modification parts for brompton and birdy. let me know if you need further info.

If you have time, can always visit Pacific cycle museum, but that will be closer to airport than Taipei city.
Totally agree!

Jesler (**********?? jesler bicycles) is probably the biggest folding bike bike shop in northern Taiwan, definitely worth a visit.

Pacific Cycles museum (**********????) is also the place you must go if you have enough time. I know they offer English tour, but you need to make an appointment first. The museum is only 30min away from the airport, you'll be amazed by their weird & wonderful bikes collection!
Old 02-13-17, 05:12 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I've made it as far as Hong Kong, not a bicycle, folder or otherwise to be seen anywhere, plenty of those big Teslas though.
Old 02-13-17, 05:55 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
To be fair, cycling in Hong Kong proper is a life defying experience. Have you made your way out to the hinterlands (like where the airport and beaches are), perhaps more of a chance to see a bike or two.

Have fun traveling. It's been so long since I've been in Asia...
Old 02-13-17, 09:51 PM
Dropbear

Bikes: Biomega Amsterdam, Biomega Boston, 2003 Birdy, Dynamic Tempo 8, XDS DD8

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode100
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I've made it as far as Hong Kong, not a bicycle, folder or otherwise to be seen anywhere, plenty of those big Teslas though.
There are plenty of places to cycle in Hong Kong. I've done the Sha Tin to Tai Po route and around Cheung Chau Island on rented bikes.