Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lever vs allen bolt thru axles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lever vs allen bolt thru axles

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-23, 07:04 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
My new bike is the only one I've ever had with TA.

The TAs have handles that pull out from inside the TAs so they look clean with no protruding handles while not requiring any tools to remove/install.

Can't say I have a preference as these are the only ones I've ever had and haven't even used them yet. lol

One weird thing is that my forks have a "blind hole" on the drive side - from the drive side there is no visible axle component.
Old 05-19-23, 07:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It would be funny if it weren't so sad: for decades bikes have had q/r front and rear, and tire removal/re-installation was a no brainer. You are seriously telling me that in the 21st Century, cyclists once again need a (allen) wrench to remove wheels, like in the (bad) old days of threaded axles? Just say it ain't so!
You seem to have missed the entire point of the thread, which is contained in its title: "Lever vs allen bolt thru axles."

Last edited by Koyote; 05-19-23 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-19-23, 08:05 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
agree - reflector (20 g) was also removed

dork disc survived and remains - even thought cassette was replaced (with 1195 X Dome cassette)

dork disc remains primarily to aggravate a riding friend ... long live the dork disc lol
Sounds like the TA still provided the bigger weight savings.
Old 05-19-23, 08:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I thought I'd miss the old quick release skewer's we had before thru-axles. My last new bike came with just a plain thru-axle that you have to use a allen key. Prior to purchasing it I thought for certain I wanted to get one of the thru-axles with the lever. However 3 years later I just simply have not ever been inconvenienced by not having QR's or a thru-axle with a lever. It's too quick and easy to to get the hex key from my bike bag under the seat or out of the tool box drawer when in the shop(garage).

And aesthetically the looks are more pleasing without the lever.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-19-23, 12:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
I want to find a different solution for the lever TAs on my gravel bike. On the opposite end of the lever, there is a knob for adjusting the clamping tension. It works great, and I like having the lever for efficient removal and reinstallation. However, the internal mechanical parts rattle, and it's annoying.

On this bike, I would prefer to stick with a lever on the front. Maybe at both ends. Recommendations?
Old 05-19-23, 12:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I want to find a different solution for the lever TAs on my gravel bike. On the opposite end of the lever, there is a knob for adjusting the clamping tension. It works great, and I like having the lever for efficient removal and reinstallation. However, the internal mechanical parts rattle, and it's annoying.

On this bike, I would prefer to stick with a lever on the front. Maybe at both ends. Recommendations?
These are dead simple, and very fast. Just choose your size(s). https://www.dtswiss.com/en/component...-rws/rws/15-mm
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-19-23, 12:14 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Recommendations?

DT RWS thru axle ?

more an option than recommendation - because I have not used the RWS axle for thru axles ... (I have used the DT RWS skewers however)
Likes For t2p:
Old 05-19-23, 12:39 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
There are (were?) issues with QR and discs, where, as I understand it, the contact point of the braking on the disc could cause the axle to loosen or even eject from the dropout. Partially from the forces from the brakes near the axle as opposed to the rim, and partially from the QRs not being strong enough or applied strong enough. That's just what I've read; no personal experience except with more current disc/QR designs ...
Originally Posted by noimagination
Hmmm, seems more like user error, to me. We (my wife and I) have been riding a tandem with disks and QR axles for about 10 years, and I have the front wheel on and off frequently to get it on the rack. I've never had a problem with the axle loosening under braking. The dropouts are standard vertical, not the forward facing ones (front).

However, I am looking forward to my new (single) bike, which will have disk brakes and a through axle, because I have noticed a little bit of fork flex/chatter during braking on the tandem. (It's noticeable, but not annoying and certainly not dangerous.) Suppo're sedly one of the advantages of the through axle set-up is that it reduces/eliminates fork flex under braking.
You're probably correct about user error - as I wrote, both weak QRs (possibly external vs. internal cam) and users applying insufficient force on the QR. However, I have a very experienced friend who rides an older QR/disc fat tire bike, and he had issues with his wheel loosening up. So I think it's also a design issue to a certain extent. I do feel that from what I've read about the physics of the force wanting to eject the QR axle under disc braking, the slanted design that is on our bikes is better engineering, without any difference in materials or cost. I'm a fan of thru axles for discs though and bought the QR bikes I described simply because that's what was offered at the lowest price point of the source I wanted to use by at least a couple hundred dollars. They work fine.
Old 05-19-23, 01:06 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I bought my first new bike since 1987 5 years ago. My first one with QR axles and seat post. My first thought was that makes too easy to steal the wheels (especially the front) and the seat. Since I don't take off my seat or adjust it often the dealer installed a bolt clamp.

Once I understood how to tighten these QR axles I'm quite content with them. And I do lock the bike and front wheel sometimes. But i do wonder how strong they are. 5 mm isn't much steel .
Old 05-19-23, 01:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
I bought my first new bike since 1987 5 years ago. My first one with QR axles and seat post. My first thought was that makes too easy to steal the wheels (especially the front) and the seat. Since I don't take off my seat or adjust it often the dealer installed a bolt clamp.

Once I understood how to tighten these QR axles I'm quite content with them. And I do lock the bike and front wheel sometimes. But i do wonder how strong they are. 5 mm isn't much steel .
QR skewers are strong enough to have been ridden and raced on for decades, under loads and conditions that most riders never experience. As long as they are used properly, there is not reason to expect an issue.
Old 05-19-23, 03:54 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

QR skewers don't support the weight of the bike/rider. Axles do that. The QR just holds the tight to the dropouts. Very little stress.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-19-23, 04:37 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I thought I'd miss the old quick release skewer's we had before thru-axles. My last new bike came with just a plain thru-axle that you have to use a allen key. Prior to purchasing it I thought for certain I wanted to get one of the thru-axles with the lever. However 3 years later I just simply have not ever been inconvenienced by not having QR's or a thru-axle with a lever. It's too quick and easy to to get the hex key from my bike bag under the seat or out of the tool box drawer when in the shop(garage).
That's pretty much how I feel. It just wasn't enough of an issue to go out and buy new ones.

Originally Posted by Iride01
And aesthetically the looks are more pleasing without the lever.
And that's the one thins making me consider replacing the lever ones instead, although I can't tell exactly what size I need (I know I have 12x100 and 12x142, but they seem to vary in overall length and thread length). I could probably just measure mine, but that would require, you know, effort.
Old 05-19-23, 05:49 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts

Just to be clear, the QR skewers (not axels) aren't supporting your weight or the stress of bumps (etc). They just need to be strong enough to keep the wheel in the dropouts.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-19-23, 07:16 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I thought the QR skewers where under a lot of stress. I never paid much attention to them, But just Googled them for a more detailed look. I understand more about them now and feel more comfortable with them. Thanks.

Also most the stress on the axle is on the outside, So with a sufficient wall thickness little strength is lost if we bore a small hole in the center for the skewer.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-20-23 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-19-23, 07:41 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It’s still a no-brainer … at least, for most of us.
there are brains, and then there are ... brains.
Old 05-20-23, 07:34 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Ooops, yea that makes it sound a whole lot different. No, I only got one.

I have to admit I have two for my Domane. I screwed up the threads on the the rear thru-axle the first week. The axle still worked but I could feel the messed up threads. I panicked and bought a new thru-axle from Trek which came with a handle/lever.

I just noticed I don't see the icon to insert emojis in the computer browser like on the phone browser.
Old 05-20-23, 10:16 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
That's pretty much how I feel. It just wasn't enough of an issue to go out and buy new ones.

And that's the one thins making me consider replacing the lever ones instead, although I can't tell exactly what size I need (I know I have 12x100 and 12x142, but they seem to vary in overall length and thread length). I could probably just measure mine, but that would require, you know, effort.
The RAP (Robert Axle Project) site has an easy to follow process to determine a particular bike’s thru axle - length, thread / pitch etc

of course - always a good idea to pull the axle and determine if the specs are printed on the axle

(gotta be diligent - some bikes use different thread / pitch on front and rear ... i.e. 1.5 thread on front, 1.0 thread on rear)

Last edited by t2p; 05-20-23 at 10:21 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 05-20-23, 12:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Clean looks good imo. I would like to have a TA, seat post hardware, stem cap bolt, & stem bracket bolts to use the same size allen key.
that's asking too much.
Old 05-20-23, 12:59 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Clean looks good imo. I would like to have a TA, seat post hardware, stem cap bolt, & stem bracket bolts to use the same size allen key.
that's asking too much.
They are different sized threads and therefore different fastening torque. A 4 mm Allen key for a TA is too small and would risk rounding off at the correct torque.
Old 05-20-23, 01:04 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
They are different sized threads and therefore different fastening torque. A 4 mm Allen key for a TA is too small and would risk rounding off at the correct torque.
I get the availability of why, but it would require an engineer to hybrid hardware thread designs to match a single head key size.
it wouldn't "round" out if the depth was far enough for the key to go into the head for the aforementioned hardware. Also, the torque values are not thar extreme in the grand scheme of things.
Old 05-20-23, 02:02 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have LAD's ("Leverage Application Devices") on my Surly Disc Trucker. I like them because I can do an easy quick-check on tightness before each ride.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 05-20-23 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-20-23, 04:11 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Put me in the "doesn't matter" category.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 05-20-23, 05:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
All the TA bikes I have with QR-style cams are really awkward to actuate. There is always some trick required to unthread them. I fail to fully understand why making it more difficult makes it safer, I think the opposite is true. It seems like on production bike TA's with a hex head are winning. I always carry a multi-tool in the same bag as the tube, so it's no big deal. And with tubeless, flats are a lot less frequent.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-20-23, 05:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I get the availability of why, but it would require an engineer to hybrid hardware thread designs to match a single head key size.
it wouldn't "round" out if the depth was far enough for the key to go into the head for the aforementioned hardware. Also, the torque values are not thar extreme in the grand scheme of things.
Being a mechanical engineer myself I wouldn’t be up for designing a TA torqued up by a 4 mm Allen key, just to match the stem and seatpost fasteners. There’s a reason why they are 6 or 8 mm hex. How often do you remove your wheels and bars at the same time anyway?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-20-23, 05:34 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Being a mechanical engineer myself I wouldn’t be up for designing a TA torqued up by a 4 mm Allen key, just to match the stem and seatpost fasteners. There’s a reason why they are 6 or 8 mm hex. How often do you remove your wheels and bars at the same time anyway?
it's for the simp tool stowed in the tool bag or to an event.
make it all 6mm then, it doesn't matter as long as they're accepting the same key head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.