Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Fitting a bike that may be too large?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-23, 05:07 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

All my bikes are 52cm, recommended by pro bike fitter and Trek’s in-store bike fitting camera/device.

I am looking for a bike to permanently mount to my indoor smart trainer and have found a 54cm that otherwise meets all my criteria.

I if lower the seat to a proper height and install a shorter stem, would the larger frame be an ergonomic fit? Peddle crank length may be “off” but I don’t know what else would compromise a proper fit.

Thoughts?
Old 05-15-23, 06:53 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
That's pretty much it. Fit is saddle height, saddle set back, saddle to bar distance, saddle to bar drop. Generally the only important things different between two sizes is the length of the top tube (about 1cm between a 52 and 54) and 2cm of head tube height. So the 54 will get a shorter stem mounted lower on the steerer tube than your 52.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-15-23, 10:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Check the geometries between the two bikes. Seat tube angle changes between some sizes depending on brand and model. So your butt might be in a different position over the BB when your reach from saddle to bars/hoods and everything else is the same.

Though it might not be significant enough to even be an issue for you depending on how fussy you are about your fit.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-15-23, 10:55 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
For a dedicated trainer bike? Don't sweat it.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 05-15-23, 08:43 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Check the geometries between the two bikes. Seat tube angle changes between some sizes depending on brand and model. So your butt might be in a different position over the BB when your reach from saddle to bars/hoods and everything else is the same.

Though it might not be significant enough to even be an issue for you depending on how fussy you are about your fit.
If you measure and set the setback, your butt will be over the BB in the same spot, regardless of frame angles.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-16-23, 08:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Kontact
If you measure and set the setback, your butt will be over the BB in the same spot, regardless of frame angles.
Well of course one can get it in the proper position. However the typical way that many measure their contact points on the bike won't give the correct saddle position in relation to the BB. Many tend to only think of the distances between the saddle and the bars or hoods.

The caution I made was just to start them thinking about it. With my leg length the difference between 1 degree of seat tube angle is only about a half inch. But that might make a difference for some that are already have their saddles far back in the clamp or far forward. But then again 1 degree of seat tube angle will be unusual for just a change in size of the same model.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-16-23, 09:05 PM
Kontact 

Well of course one can get it in the proper position. However the typical way that many measure their contact points on the bike won't give the correct saddle position in relation to the BB. Many tend to only think of the distances between the saddle and the bars or hoods.

The caution I made was just to start them thinking about it. With my leg length the difference between 1 degree of seat tube angle is only about a half inch. But that might make a difference for some that are already have their saddles far back in the clamp or far forward. But then again 1 degree of seat tube angle will be unusual for just a change in size of the same model.
I don't know of any other method to locate the saddle properly except to copy an existing set back or go through whatever fit procedure you prefer to establish a new one. There is no "contact point" method that you can do without using the same methods as copying a setback. There isn't anything about a bike frame that suggests where to put the seat.

And many frames go right from 74 to 73 degrees around size 52.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-17-23, 07:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Kontact I still feel safer saying that because the seat tube angle changes that the saddle might not be at the same distance from the vertical axis off of the BB. I'm not going to assume that because the head tube angle and other things change too that simply measuring from the bars to the saddle will give the same setback.

But I can only assume from you wishing to say I'm wrong that you must think it will always be at the proper setback no matter what bike or model or size. Or do you actually measure to put the saddle the same distance back from the vertical axis of the BB?
Old 05-17-23, 08:42 PM
Kontact 

Kontact I still feel safer saying that because the seat tube angle changes that the saddle might not be at the same distance from the vertical axis off of the BB. I'm not going to assume that because the head tube angle and other things change too that simply measuring from the bars to the saddle will give the same setback.

But I can only assume from you wishing to say I'm wrong that you must think it will always be at the proper setback no matter what bike or model or size. Or do you actually measure to put the saddle the same distance back from the vertical axis of the BB?
I don't know if I'm following you. Why would you try to get setback from the stem?

I use the vertical axis off the BB to set setback every time. With a ruler and a plumb line it is quick and easy to do.
After saddle height and setback are done it is much easier to get the bars in place.

The reason I don't follow the stuff you mention about the frame angles is that there aren't any real reference points on the frame that are useful. Even seatpost clamps vary too much in design to use as good references.

This isn't personal and I don't need to prove you wrong.
Old 05-18-23, 09:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Kontact
I don't know if I'm following you. Why would you try to get setback from the stem?

I use the vertical axis off the BB to set setback every time. With a ruler and a plumb line it is quick and easy to do.
After saddle height and setback are done it is much easier to get the bars in place.

The reason I don't follow the stuff you mention about the frame angles is that there aren't any real reference points on the frame that are useful. Even seatpost clamps vary too much in design to use as good references.

This isn't personal and I don't need to prove you wrong.
Then I think where we differ is that I don't assume that people transferring their position from one bike to the other do anything more than measure saddle position from some point on their bars. And most that measure saddle setback will just measure that from the seat tube and not the vertical off the BB. But that's just an assumption I've come to based loosely on things I've read here and seen done in real life.

Maybe I'm wrong to think that way. I just don't assume from the get-go that everyone always does something correctly. But I also don't assume they are doing it wrong if they don't add something that indicates they are doing it wrong. So sometimes like in my first reply to the OP in this thread post was just a bit of info to get the OP thinking about that. They didn't ask any questions about it so I assume they either understood the implications or it wasn't of consequence to them at the moment.
Old 05-18-23, 06:54 PM
Kontact 

Then I think where we differ is that I don't assume that people transferring their position from one bike to the other do anything more than measure saddle position from some point on their bars. And most that measure saddle setback will just measure that from the seat tube and not the vertical off the BB. But that's just an assumption I've come to based loosely on things I've read here and seen done in real life.

Maybe I'm wrong to think that way. I just don't assume from the get-go that everyone always does something correctly. But I also don't assume they are doing it wrong if they don't add something that indicates they are doing it wrong. So sometimes like in my first reply to the OP in this thread post was just a bit of info to get the OP thinking about that. They didn't ask any questions about it so I assume they either understood the implications or it wasn't of consequence to them at the moment.
I am certain that you are right: People do all sorts of dumb things. I just don't get discussing those things as if they are a valid alternative.

Especially when people seem aware of changing stem length and the fact that bikes have different TT lengths. But if you are measuring from the stem, the stem stops being a variable and becomes the reference. Which is not a terrible thing with a tri bike, but crazytown when it comes to a bike that you don't want to lean on your arms.

Anyway, even if you decide to measure from the stem, that still isn't going to reference the seattube angle.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-18-23, 09:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

Yes. But I wouldn't settle for a class B fit. I'd go out and buy the seatpost with offset that allows the proper seat location. That and the stem to get the proper BB to bars reach and height and this bike will serve you very well. (Until your wife scares you with "Dinner's ready", you slip off the pedals and seat, nail that high top tube (higher now that you've got a block under the front wheel), you receive irreversible damage and your marriage is never the same. Might be wise to orient the trainer so you can see her walk in. )
Old 07-28-23, 12:13 PM
dithifer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there any videos or article resources that might help with fitting a bike that's too large?
Old 07-28-23, 01:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by dithifer
Are there any videos or article resources that might help with fitting a bike that's too large?
Same basic rules apply. So just watch any of the videos and read articles about fitting yourself to the bike. With bikes that are too big for you, you might have to just learn to live with not being able to get to your ideal position. Some people don't tolerate but a narrow range of fit. Others can tolerate a wide range of fit. If you are the latter, you'll have less issue with the wrong size bike.

Welcome to BF. If you have an actual fit problem, then start a new thread and tell us about it and your bike. Maybe someone can suggest something.
Old 07-29-23, 11:16 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by dithifer
You could follow my bike fit primer here: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html
Old 08-10-23, 10:42 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
You should be able to try different variations on your 54cm bike of hand and butt positions. You might find that you like the taller frame, or that it isn't quite right and smaller is better. I have found that playing around with frame sizes is a positive experience. I found my favorite bicycle by getting it used for nothing and rebuilding it to suit me. After several changes over the years I've gotten as close to perfect in my fit on this bicycle and have been able to replicate that position on my other bikes. Good luck with this effort.
Old 08-10-23, 11:06 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Brings back fond memories of my old FUJI. Bike was so tall I had to jump on and off of it... Called it my Horse.

Once on it the ride was all mine!