Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cheap Alternative To Brooks Saddles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cheap Alternative To Brooks Saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 08:45 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Generally speaking, if your Brooks broke in asymmetrically, the seat was most likely too high, causing you to sit to one side to compensate. I had the same issue. Once I realized it, I dropped the saddle, and that fixed the issue. Many miles later the saddle is broken in symmetrically. The drop in saddle height also greatly increased the comfort of the saddle.
I've had other Brooks apologists tell me it was me and not the saddle, but none of the other tensioned leather saddles I've had (from Brooks, Persons, Gyes, Selle Anatomica...) did that.
Old 10-06-23, 08:45 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by teacherman62
I find it hard to believe that these old leather bike seats are considered comfortable. When I started riding, that's all there was. Brooks leather on chromed steel rails. When I got my racing beer can aluminum bike in 2002, after years with no bike, the foam CODA seat seemed OK, but I ended up with a Selle Italia cutout built on titanium rails, which I stuck on a carbon fiber seat post. Now I put a big fat Zacros (from Scamazon) gel pad on top of it, and I use padded bike shorts as well.

I remember buying a new Brooks for my 1973 Follis 531 main tubes bike, and it was as hard as a rock for quite some time.

I guess my question is, should I have another look at Brooks? Are they built of lighter metal now, and how long would it take to break in?
Thanks.
If you didn't like it then you probably won't like it now, but there's one way to find out.
Nothing is more personal on a bike than the saddle. It doesn't matter what it costs, how many ultra-cyclists swear by it, or how many people on-line love it. If it doesn't work for your anatomy you won't be comfortable.

In my experience (2 road clubs with hundreds of members, 40 years of road riding) Brooks saddles are rare among those I have ridden with. There are those who use and seem to love them, though.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-06-23, 09:16 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I've had other Brooks apologists tell me it was me and not the saddle, but none of the other tensioned leather saddles I've had (from Brooks, Persons, Gyes, Selle Anatomica...) did that.
I bought a Brooks B17 around 10 years ago from a seller in Montana or North Dakota or somewhere. Price was lower than the usual or expected suppliers (large east-coast dealer, for example.) I had horrible hip pain on one side on long rides, until I realized the frame was asymmetrical. I learned to point the nose off to the right, so the sit part was properly aligned. Then it became very comfortable.

Originally Posted by WT160
I bought Cardiff saddle a little while ago. Haven't tried it yet. Saddles - Cardiff Ltd. - Bicycle Accessories
I also bought a Cardiff that looks similar to a B17. Compared to the B17, it's smaller, haven't measured it but I'd guess it's around 3/4 the size. Haven't taken long rides on it. The rivet peening looks a little weak, like it may not last forever.

Last edited by duffer1960; 10-06-23 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-06-23, 02:58 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I'm not saying that as a "Brooks apologist," I'm saying it as a basic statement of bike fit fact. If your sit bones make dimples on a leather seat, off center, you are dropping to one side on the saddle. This occurs when your saddle is slightly too high, which forces you to drop to one side to compensate. I am not saying the Brooks will feel better that the other saddles you mention, they are great saddles, I am simply pointing out what causes offset dimple formation on a Brooks.
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-07-23, 11:28 AM
teacherman62

Bikes: Cannondale R4000, F3000, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I'm not saying that as a "Brooks apologist," I'm saying it as a basic statement of bike fit fact. If your sit bones make dimples on a leather seat, off center, you are dropping to one side on the saddle. This occurs when your saddle is slightly too high, which forces you to drop to one side to compensate. I am not saying the Brooks will feel better that the other saddles you mention, they are great saddles, I am simply pointing out what causes offset dimple formation on a Brooks.
I have one leg slightly longer than the other, which I balance by mounting one shoe cleat a notch forward of the other.

In days of yore, the gentry would hire serfs to wear their new boots for them till they softened up. Might there be a market here, for the particularly hard-a$$ed rider to make some side dough? 🤣
Likes For teacherman62:
Old 10-07-23, 08:43 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by teacherman62
I have one leg slightly longer than the other, which I balance by mounting one shoe cleat a notch forward of the other.

In days of yore, the gentry would hire serfs to wear their new boots for them till they softened up. Might there be a market here, for the particularly hard-a$$ed rider to make some side dough? 🤣
...it didn't used to be that hard to find used, already broken in somewhat, Brooks Pro saddles. This was especially true back when a lot of people were making the switch to lighter saddles, like Unicanitor and Sella Italia. I haven't looked for one for years, because I have a box of saddles that I fish around in, when I need one. Some of them are Brooks, some of them are SI Flite. There are even a few Sella Italia Turbo, which for some reason I've always liked.

I'm not sure I've ever bought a Brooks Pro new, but I did fall for one of those Berthoud saddles once. That was pretty comfortable right out of the box. I don't know why.

By far the most comfortable leather saddles (for me) used to be the French Ideale branded ones. But they went belly up trying to compete with all the newer, lighter saddles. I heard someone has resurrected the company, but I know nothing about current production.