Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Expresso gym bikes

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Expresso gym bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 11:42 AM
StephenK

Bikes: Lemond Arrivée 03, Nishiki Colorado MTB '18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Expresso gym bikes

My gym has some computer screen exercise bikes made by Expresso. They are somewhat fun and include a full bunch of metrics including watts. But i's my impression that the effort is much more than a real "road" bike requires. I think Expresso give me 14 mph for effort a road bike would go about 5mph faster. The efforts are recorded in your account and you can even set it to upload to Strava although the heart rate info doesn't export.

Anyone use one of these yet? What did you thinK?
Old 10-07-18, 01:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Hmmm....

If it outputs watts, then you should be able to compare the Espresso watts to an actual power meter, or calculated watts using other devices.

From the photos I'm seeing (home versions?), it is hard to say whether the bike was modeled after road bikes, or MTBs, although if you have videos, the stills I'm seeing do indicate road like entertainment. However, one might calibrates watts and speed to an average MTB rather than to a road bike.

Also, keep in mind your average road bike performance. It is easy to glance down at one's computer when one is pushing 20 MPH, and forget all the other variations in the ride leading to an average speed of 15 MPH.
Old 10-07-18, 02:00 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I spend a lot of time on Expresso bikes several seasons ago. The good is that the 'virtual reality' is entertaining enough to make the time go by. Also I really liked the pacer function for doing long intervals. But I don't think the speed and power numbers are accurate or precise, so they are useful for Expresso world but not transferable outside.
Old 10-09-18, 04:34 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
My local gym had Expresso bikes for a couple of years - I much preferred them to the standard Lifecycle kind of stationary bikes, much less boring. But, they were constantly breaking down so the gym dropped them.

I didn't find the power numbers on the Expresso bikes to be any closer to reality than any other stationary bikes but the speed as a function of perceived difficulty seemed closer to reality than the other bikes - ie, the Lifecycle kind of bikes are way over-stating "speed" and the Expresso seemed more realistic.
Old 03-18-24, 07:14 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Zombie thread closed.