Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

TA Specialties Handlebar bag

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-24, 01:50 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts

A few years ago I was given a box miscellaneous vintage bike stuffs: Some old freewheels, old chains, bottle cages, cable clamps and such. At the bottom of the box, collapsed and folded up under all of those greasy dirty parts was this handlebar bag. I didn’t previously know TA made bags but since they did, I figure these must have been fairly common at one time. It didn’t come with a decaleur or rack of any sort and I couldn’t see a way to attach it to anything I have, so for the past few years I’ve just been storing it. Recently I went through the contents of that old box again and decided I’d figure out how to get some use from the bag. I spent some time cleaning it up but I’m having difficulty removing all of the grease stains. I do have some Carradice wax from my canvas saddle bags I could apply after a more thorough cleaning. I did a little research and I bought what I believe is the appropriate decaleur rack. Before I used it I thought this setup might be kind of unstable and floppy, not so, I’m happy to say it behaves well, it’s sturdy and I’m finding it’s quite handy. It holds everything I need for a days ride and I’m really enjoying having the flexibility of moving this from one bike to another in just a couple of minutes. Obviously there are better bags than this one and there’s a bike or two in my collection where I’d like to find a more permanent rando style rack/bag setup, but this has been a good gateway into handlebar bags.

Anyone else ever have one of these?

It’s currently attached to my Gitane TdF but I’ve used it on a few bikes now.

Visible grease spots from where an old bike chain was sitting on it.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 03-17-24 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-17-24, 04:09 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
I knew they existed; at least they were in the Cyclo-Pedia catalog that I ordered Euro stuff from. The catalog doesn't mention what sort of support it was meant to work with. I suppose there is an implied suggestion to use the little T.A. "carrier".

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-17-24, 04:23 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
I think you are right, it was assumed that one would use the TA rack. That one was the only one that had any meaningful distribution in the US. It was also assumed that one would attach the top of the bags to the bars with the provided straps, and that allowed the bag to work with a range of bar heights. When I got interested in cycling in the mid 70s, I viewed the canvas TA bag and its mounting system as a bit outmoded compared to the nylon bags by Eclipse, Kirkland and others. Soon enough, I discovered racing and had no use for any of them. It wasn’t until years later that I saw an Alex Singer with a custom carrier, properly sized bag and decaleur and it all made sense to me. I have since seen a number of TA bags mounted with decaleurs and it was a method that was assumed to be common knowledge in France, but I am certain that they were unaware of the complete lack of familiarity with that equipment in foreign markets.
Likes For El Chaba:
Old 03-17-24, 04:23 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
these were nice bags, not as nice as the Sologne / Berthoud, but nice.

A trip to the dry cleaners will make it look like new

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 03-17-24, 04:34 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
A few years back, I made a stiffener for mine so that it would hold its shape nicely without a decaleur. I normally use a smaller bag on the two bikes that I own that are set up for front bag use. It seems a decent compromise, but I really like to keep the bars free of attachments (other than the stem and brake levers).

Old 03-17-24, 04:59 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
I bought one of those a few weeks ago, at a jumble sale. I like that the top opens on the rider's side, as well as its modest size, which is nice for using it on a mini front rack.

My "Ref 272" is a bit newer, I believe. It needs a bit of love and could do with a new set of elastic cords, but is otherwise in decent shape:

Old 03-17-24, 06:41 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
I've had a couple of TAs, have one now. From memory, I think the TA is similar enough to a Lafuma that it might be one, made and branded for TA. Anyone got a Lafuma handlebar bag for comparison?
Old 03-17-24, 07:00 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Berthoud w/ AS decaleur

/markp

Likes For mpetry912:
Old 03-17-24, 07:35 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Have the exact same bag though use a different decalleur. Reinforced the back bottom and only two sides, connected at the top with two spokes. I used reinforcing material of a thin fiber mesh, similar to non-conductive panel in electrical panel box. Light and rigid.
Old 03-18-24, 07:09 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't take it to a drycleaner for renewal. IMO the chemical cleaner is harsh and could cause the leather and canvas to breakdown.

I'd first attempt a mild solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid (with a toothbrush and possibly a green Scotch Pad), and careful use of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I'd let it dry while stuffed with bubble wrap to help hold a better shape. Apply a leather conditioner such as Proofide to the leather bits, and if you plan to use in inclement weather, spray with Scotch guard. Replacement elastic cord can be purchased at Joann Fabrics.

Thanks for posting! Love the front medallion!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 03-18-24, 08:11 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
I have an identical Lafuma bag that is in tatters. I'm keeping it to one day make a pattern for my own homemade bag.
Old 03-18-24, 10:27 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Pcampeau-
I had one of those TA bags on a Peugeot a long time ago. Not a Berthoud but decent quality but it needs a stiffener to hold its shape, Mine didn't the riveted medallion but a TA decal in the same location. The trim was not leather on my bag but vinyl. Also, the twist closures on the pockets are a superior closure method. Get a TA rack for your bag support, they are literally made for it and will fit your Mafac brake pivot bolts perfectly. Also, if you decide to use straps rather than a decaleur or the current red bag support, Rene Herse sells matching leather hanger straps:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-extra-strong/
Old 03-18-24, 10:58 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
TA handlebar bag on my Jo Routens on a Jo Routens rack:

Lafuma bag purchased with handlebars, in use for excess bell storage:
Old 03-18-24, 11:04 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by mpetry912
Berthoud w/ AS decaleur

/markp

Nice way to make a self portrait.

Old 03-18-24, 11:18 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I did one ride with the TA bag last week. On my Koga-Miyata with a VO front rack and a non-fixie™ decaleur:

The bag size is pretty much perfect for me. It'll take everything I could need for a day trip, but no more. The latter being just as important to me as the first.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-18-24, 12:41 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

BTW, for the use on those little TA racks some French companies made even smaller bags. I stumbled onto a couple when in Saumur last year and bought them both.

They slip onto the rack's tombstone and are secured to the rack with a strap and a press stud. Room for a mini tool, a spare tube, a banana and even a lightweight rain jacket:

Just slip them on, close the fastener and off you go:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-18-24, 02:17 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Personally, I wouldn't take it to a drycleaner for renewal. IMO the chemical cleaner is harsh and could cause the leather and canvas to breakdown.

I'd first attempt a mild solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid (with a toothbrush and possibly a green Scotch Pad), and careful use of a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I'd let it dry while stuffed with bubble wrap to help hold a better shape. Apply a leather conditioner such as Proofide to the leather bits, and if you plan to use in inclement weather, spray with Scotch guard. Replacement elastic cord can be purchased at Joann Fabrics.

Thanks for posting! Love the front medallion!
Thanks. Dawn dish soap is what I used in the in initial cleaning. I still have some scrubbing to do though it’s really come a long way already. I like the medallion too!
Old 03-18-24, 02:19 PM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by bertinjim
Pcampeau-
I had one of those TA bags on a Peugeot a long time ago. Not a Berthoud but decent quality but it needs a stiffener to hold its shape, Mine didn't the riveted medallion but a TA decal in the same location. The trim was not leather on my bag but vinyl. Also, the twist closures on the pockets are a superior closure method. Get a TA rack for your bag support, they are literally made for it and will fit your Mafac brake pivot bolts perfectly. Also, if you decide to use straps rather than a decaleur or the current red bag support, Rene Herse sells matching leather hanger straps:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-extra-strong/
Thanks for the advice on the TA rack, you and some others have convinced me. They look fairly inexpensive so I’ll be getting one soon.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 03-18-24, 02:22 PM
Pcampeau

It’s great to see so many others are using using these bags. I really appreciate all the feedback and I love seeing all the pics of different iterations it’s taken over the years.

Many thanks!
Paul
Old 03-18-24, 03:02 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

On my TA, the clear plastic over the map rotted and cracked from UV or ozone or whatever kills that stuff. I bought some plastic of about the same thickness, sorry this is so long ago I can't help with what kind or thickness to buy, but I was able to match the original well. Brought it to the shoe-repair guy in my neighborhood — two blocks from my house, and he's a cyclist, how did I get so lucky? He has the strong sewing machines that make sewing through leather and plastic no problem, came out looking like new.

It's the plastic I would worry about most if you were to try dry-cleaning. And it's not just the map cover, but a lot of these TAs (most or all?) have fake pleather piping at the edges. Maybe my shoe-repair guy could replace that, but that's a lotta labor from a skilled artisan, so I assume it would be more expensive than just buying a Berthoud.
Old 03-18-24, 03:54 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Then there's this one, sure looks like a TA but it has no decal and no holes where a badge might have been.

The only difference I see other than lack of a logo, is the pleather reinforcing band where the decaleur bolts on also wraps around the sides, for no particular reason. TAs I have seen have the reinforcement in back but not on the sides, otherwise identical? So, either made by whoever made them for TA, or a very close knockoff.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-18-24, 04:13 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
They look fairly inexpensive so I’ll be getting one soon.
That would make a great signature line.

Parts like these are typically $5 at a local swap meet when you don't need them, and $50 or more plus shipping from Outer Mongolia when you do.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-18-24, 05:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I've had a couple of TAs, have one now. From memory, I think the TA is similar enough to a Lafuma that it might be one, made and branded for TA. Anyone got a Lafuma handlebar bag for comparison?
Shoot, missed your ask until after I posted. I do have both, and they look like they could be made at the same shop.
Old 03-18-24, 06:06 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by gugie
Shoot, missed your ask until after I posted. I do have both, and they look like they could be made at the same shop.
Does your Lafuma have the leatherette bands on the sides, like the decaleur reinforcement wraps around? I'm thinking my no-name one from post #21 might be a Lafuma.
Old 03-18-24, 07:17 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.