Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Over the bars!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 05:00 PM
McCthulhu
Now with 65% less sanity!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to run the full gamut of idiotic meat pylons there is no substitute for the Venice Beach oceanside pathway. I have had fists swung at me by people on meth trips and beered out frat boys on spring break, I have been spit on by people that had something against 'f***ing whitey!', I have been veered into by those wonderful spandex wearing, Ipod listening bimbos who think the universe is theirs and theirs alone, been cut off by those bastions of pet-ownership that think the dog lead should be extended out to its maximum tether despite the full on traffic of bladers and bikers alike, and had the always present flotilla of DOOOOODS on surfboards go charging full speed across the pavement without even the remotest sideways glance for traffic (on that one I hit the brakes hard enough to actually do damage to my bike).

As mentioned here, the only real defense is to slow way down and put up with the people that live in their tiny, apparently bikeless universe. I haven't lived up there for a while but there is a similar type of situation on the pathway in OC running from Seal Beach to Crystal Cove. If you don't slow down, you WILL hit a member of the contingent of the clueless, guaranteed. Thus, I gave up on such routes unless I only intended to leisure ride anyway. When I need to ride at speed for exercise and cheap thrills there are always other options. Doesn't SRAM or one of those add-on companies make a scything-action meat pylon remover for the front of bikes?
Old 10-11-07, 03:56 AM
ang1sgt

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My two main bikes I use bells and a verbal "On your Left!" I purposely try and figure out who I am passing. Older folks and children are the worst to pass due to their lack of skill or balance issues. If "I" need to slow down, I will to match their pace, riding, jogging or walking. If I hit them, that is all MY fault and not theirs. I also try and exchange some sort of pleasantry with those that I pass either on over taking or as they come by me. For the most part, the cyclists are the worst for not returning it.

Chris
Old 10-11-07, 09:38 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Ridgeback Voyage (for touring and commuting), unknown beach cruiser (for smiling)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
"I THINK I'M HURT, SOMEBODY GET ME A LAWYER".
Brilliant, I'll try and remember this.
Old 10-11-07, 10:07 AM
Denny Koll

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a choice I think it's better to just keep going and let the guy on the wrong side of the MUP cushion your fall.
Old 09-13-08, 10:52 AM
xSmurf

Bikes: Norco Monterey with a road conversion kit used in the summer and stock parts for the winter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
1) Nothing works all the time.
2) Just about anything will work part of the time.
3) See item 1)
4) 20% of the time, it works every time.
Old 09-13-08, 03:03 PM
kevbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Winter76
I got scared off my bike by a big canadian goose ...
Originally Posted by PATH
. Apparently Canadian Geese don't give a fiddlers damn about getting hit by bicycles!
nit:Those large black and white waterfowl are Canada Geese.
Old 09-13-08, 04:08 PM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Ouch, my sympathies on your crash and insult to injury. I'd have been fit to be tied, so to speak. Especially when hurting, I would have a tendency toward being, erm, irrational, to put it nicely.
On the MUP in Monterey, especially on Cannery Row and by the aquarium, I don't expect to bike very fast at all. Tourists on rental bikes, especially those four wheeled covered pedal things take over. Weekends are to be avoided whenever possible. The biciclistes (those that look like they should be racing in Le Tour) tend to ride on the streets, anyway.
Old 09-13-08, 04:44 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by xSmurf
4) 20% of the time, it works every time.