Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cool Bike Friendly Story (I think, anyway)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 08:32 PM
EKO
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are two grocery stores (both Dillons, since they have a monopoly in Wichita) that are about 2 miles away from my apartment. One has a bike rack, and one doesn't. The one that does is a PITA to get to. It's a straight shot up a 4 lane (2 each way) arterial, 45 mph speed limit. The other is a leisurely ride through a nice development. The no bike rack store is smaller and not quite as nice, while the other has more selection and is generally nicer/cleaner. I used to go to the easy to get to store, but had to lock up to the cart return. Potentially perilous for bike integrity. Plus, it's all the way out in the parking lot! (When people ask my why I don't have a car, I tell them I do it for the parking. ) One day, I needed a roll of quarters, so I went to the customer service desk. When I was there, I asked the random guy there at 9PM at night, "Hey, why don't you guys have a bike rack?"

He says, "Well, one time someone was leaning on it, slipped off, and fell. She then threatened to sue the property owner because she thought the bike rack was dangerous. The property owner decided to get rid of it to avoid a lawsuit."

I replied, "You just made that up on the spot didn't you. That story is BS, right?"

He laughed and said, "Nope, I was here when it happened. It's the truth."

I shook my head and said, "Wow, that's asinine. The nerve of some people to try to capitalize on their own stupidity."

He said, "Yea, tell me about it."

I asked, "Well, hey, is there a manager around who knows who the property owner is? I'd like to tell him that us cyclists would me more inclined to use this plaza if there was a bike rack for us."

He said, "No, but one will be at 7AM tomorrow." No good for me, I'll be on my way to work. I thanked him and left, and thought nothing more of it. I decided I would use the other store, even though its a pain to get to since they have a bike rack (even though it's not covered).

So for 2 months or so, I've been hammering my way to the other store and back. Prevailing winds are from the south here, and this store is due north and downhill from my apartment. I have to say, hammering with a full load in traffic, uphill, in the rain in a 20+ mph headwind != fun.

Today, I had to go to the sporting goods store to get some water repellent for my rain cover, since the last three days of downpours have made it readily apparent that the water repelling capabilities of my rain cover are woefully inadequate. I went to the grocery store yesterday, but forgot rolls for dinner tonight. Fack! O well, the easy-to-get-to Dillons is 1/4 mile away from Dicks, so I decided to stop there instead of going 4 more miles to the other store and another 2 home.

While looking around for something to lock up to other than the cart return (sometimes there's this rack with a stack of doormats in it that I can lock up to), I happened to notice a bike rack! It looked brand new (still had a tag on it)! Albeit a tiny wheelbender, there it was, under the awning and everything! Now since Wichita is about as progressive as Pakistan and since I've seen <5 other cyclists (not including guys on bikes) in the city, I'm going to have to assume that bike rack has at least a significant part of it reason for being there because of me. I have yet to meet another person who's only transportation is the bus or their bikes. Most think I'm insane. I HIGHLY doubt anyone else asked about it. That said, I think that's flippin' cool that two months later, a bike rack randomly appears. +10,000 kudos points to Dillons at 21st and Rock Rd. I'm going to go there now unless they don't have what I need and I have to go to the other store. Way to go, guys!
Old 09-12-08, 08:38 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by EKO
Wichita is about as progressive as Pakistan
Having grown up in Wichita, this was my favorite part of the story. And I'll vouch for the OP that this is 100% true.
Old 09-12-08, 08:45 PM
Lizzylou
Dropped myself

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think you could come to Pennsylvania and ask my Barnes & Noble to get a rack? I make mention of it everytime I'm there (about once a week). Usually just to the cashier, but once I actually got a manager who told me bike racks were not "cost effective." *sigh*

My current plan is to make every employee so sick of listening to me tell them how nice it would be if they had a bike rack, they will eventually get one to make me shut up. So far, I haven't been irritating enough.
Old 09-13-08, 09:20 AM
EKO
Noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lizzylou
Do you think you could come to Pennsylvania and ask my Barnes & Noble to get a rack? I make mention of it everytime I'm there (about once a week). Usually just to the cashier, but once I actually got a manager who told me bike racks were not "cost effective." *sigh*

My current plan is to make every employee so sick of listening to me tell them how nice it would be if they had a bike rack, they will eventually get one to make me shut up. So far, I haven't been irritating enough.
That's what blew me away. I asked once, and it wasn't even a manager. That means he had to have told the manager, who in turn brought it up with the property owner.

B&N here doesn't have one either (neither of them). I just use the handicapped parking sign.
Old 09-13-08, 09:49 AM
keiththesnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They need a bike rack at Walmart, so that people don't get into fights with the greeters and get naked to make a point.

No, really, they need a rack at Walmart. I can't believe it. I mean, a bunch of people who shop there rely on bikes for transportation. Why wouldn't they have a rack? I rode there recently to pick up a prescription and I had to lock up to the cart holder among the Bobtail parkers.
Old 09-13-08, 12:53 PM
joshandlauri
Got another new bike

Bikes: pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool, write them a letter letting them know how much its appreciated.
Old 09-13-08, 01:45 PM
The Figment
The Wheel is Turning

Bikes: '05 Novara (REI) Bonanza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Wichita is about as progressive as Pakistan"

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Now I have to clean my the Coffee off my Keyboard and screen!!!!!

Which Dillons are you going to....I lived on Topeka&Indianapolis (Just south of Kellogg) for quite a while and went to the Dillions on Harry&Broadway (Too Ghetto) or the one on Thirteenth&Waco (Somewhat Better)

Welcome to BF.....Hope yer stayin Dry!!

Last edited by The Figment; 09-13-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-13-08, 01:53 PM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keiththesnake
They need a bike rack at Walmart, so that people don't get into fights with the greeters and get naked to make a point.

No, really, they need a rack at Walmart. I can't believe it. I mean, a bunch of people who shop there rely on bikes for transportation. Why wouldn't they have a rack? I rode there recently to pick up a prescription and I had to lock up to the cart holder among the Bobtail parkers.
My Walmart has one, and it always has 2-6 bikes on it. It's really built for about 4 bikes, so maybe they need another one. ...I'm keeping my clothes on, though.

...To the OP, congratulations on requesting a bike rack in a reasonable manner and actually being heard.
Old 09-13-08, 03:16 PM
Danre
Will Pedal For Food

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's cool. Thank someone.
Old 09-13-08, 03:36 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Keep this quiet!

My local grocery store, Woodman's, has me bring mine inside behind the customer service desk, where they watch it for me.

Don't even lock it up, and it's easy to pack, while you are out of the weather and inside.
Old 09-13-08, 03:54 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 857 Posts
There's a nice bike rack at Publix at SR 524+SR 528 in Cocoa, Fl. that you can have for free. Since it is not bolted or chained, it's ok to just take it, right? (heard that one before?) I kindly mentioned this FAIL to an employee today, who promised to talk to the manager.

I locked up to a palm tree in the parking lot. Safe enough for me, but pity some soccer Mom who thinks the rack is safe to lock to.
Old 09-13-08, 05:06 PM
Lizzylou
Dropped myself

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Keep this quiet!

My local grocery store, Woodman's, has me bring mine inside behind the customer service desk, where they watch it for me.

Don't even lock it up, and it's easy to pack, while you are out of the weather and inside.
Actually there are quite a few places that let me do this. 2 out of the 3 public libraries I visit let me put my bike in their back offices. And the Blimpie sandwhich shop lets me bring my bike inside and lean it against the wall next to my table.

I've also walked my bike around K-mart with me once... nobody tried to stop me, I think they had no idea what to do since there was no precedent.
Old 09-13-08, 05:45 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is a nice story!

I'm not car free but the couple times I rode to my dentist I brought the bike up the elevator and parked in his office. He apparently walks and takes Metro.
Old 09-13-08, 06:46 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I live on Kadena Air Base in Okinawa and there aren't many bike racks to speak of. The commissary doesn't have one at all. In fact, off base there aren't too many either. I usually find a light pole, drain pole, or tree to lock to. Sorry to get off point, but can anybody recommend a good kick stand for a mtb with 700c that doesn't weigh more than the bike?
Old 09-13-08, 06:50 PM
poopisnotfood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually miss Wichita sometimes. It is where I grew up.
Old 09-13-08, 07:20 PM
tekknoschtev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool story! Fortunately most everywhere I go on my bike has a rack, but Target doesn't seem to have gotten the memo. The one at Meijer is at the back entrance, so I either have to go before 10pm, or walk around the store (going before 10pm is the more logical answer since its dark out, though I did just get a fancy new light). Usually there are benches around at places that don't have racks, and that's where I wind up locking my bike, or to a lamp post. Not ideal (and I scratched the bike once this way) but a rack would be so nice!

I've also walked my bike around K-mart with me once... nobody tried to stop me, I think they had no idea what to do since there was no precedent.
I used to work at Meijer, and I have to say that unless a manager saw it (and even then) very likely they just aren't paid enough to care - that is if there is a policy in place that says you can do it. In the absence of a policy, well then, you're just giving the employees something to talk about. The stories my brother tells me from working at Kroger are very similar. Something out of the ordinary is more likely to generate excitement and chit-chat amongst the employees than it is to get the attention of someone who cares enough to do something about it, policy or not.
Old 09-14-08, 02:42 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
That is a nice story!

I'm not car free but the couple times I rode to my dentist I brought the bike up the elevator and parked in his office. He apparently walks and takes Metro.
My dentist rides bicycle. So does her hygienist.
Old 09-14-08, 02:52 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tekknoschtev
Very cool story! Fortunately most everywhere I go on my bike has a rack, but Target doesn't seem to have gotten the memo.
The Targets I've gone to have racks or there are racks in the general area if the Target is in a big mall area.

Originally Posted by tekknoschtev
I used to work at Meijer, and I have to say that unless a manager saw it (and even then) very likely they just aren't paid enough to care - that is if there is a policy in place that says you can do it. In the absence of a policy, well then, you're just giving the employees something to talk about. The stories my brother tells me from working at Kroger are very similar.
My Fry's (part of Kroger) has a bike rack. So did the one near to the last place I lived. The local farmers' market has a bike rack, too.

The buffet restaurant I went to tonight has a bike rack. Most of the restaurants I've been to have bike racks. One used to even give me a discount with a little coupon book from work, since I commuted. I've gone to bars with bike racks, too. The libraries I've been to have bike racks. I work in a school district, and all the schools have tons of bike racks. Some even have them within a fenced area that can be locked during the day.

Home Depot doesn't have one, but they let me bring the bike in.

...I'm really starting to think that this is a regional thing.
Old 09-14-08, 02:11 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

what is interesting about this that the local sam's club does have a bike rack...
Old 09-14-08, 02:29 PM
xSmurf

Bikes: Norco Monterey with a road conversion kit used in the summer and stock parts for the winter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about you convince (err advocate?) the employes to ride bikes to work, thus putting real monetary pressure on the owner! Then you can go to him with a positive comment such as "it's really nice to see so many of your employes being socially aware and riding bikes - oh and nice selection of Bio™ food btw!". I can hardly believe he won't be compelled into starting to do the advocacy himself! Hellz, maybe even start riding a bike.
Old 09-14-08, 02:45 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Walmart by me does have a bike rack; I used it the one and only time I rode there. Since then, I've driven, as it's much safer.
Old 09-14-08, 02:57 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chewybrian
I locked up to a palm tree in the parking lot. Safe enough for me, but pity some soccer Mom who thinks the rack is safe to lock to.
My god, I wish there was palm trees around here! It is almost freezing at night here by now!
Old 09-14-08, 06:43 PM
eelriver
Steelhead bum

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Sports Basement store in the San Francisco presidio encourages people to bring their bikes inside. Unfortunately it's because bikes have been boosted from there before.

It does make it easy to match accessories to the bike though.
Old 09-14-08, 07:08 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Walmart in town used to have a rack. Disappeared this summer, and the people at the CS desk just shrug.

Brand new Target in town without one also.

But, the city itself is about to install public racks in a couple of places downtown. Baby steps.

jim
Old 09-14-08, 08:36 PM
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The greeter at our local Wal-Mart let me leave my bike inside by her, and watched it for me while I ran in for a few items last week.
At a local restaurant/pub, I left my bike outside the door while I went in to drink a cold adult beverage and talk to the owner about band bookings. The bartender went outside, pulled my bike inside and leaned it against the wall and informed me that he liked nice bikes and didn't want to worry about it getting pinched! Nice folks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.