Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Interbike Time

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Interbike Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 11:15 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interbike Time

getting ready to go to Interbike
I will be super busy at the Sapim spoke booth, but maybe I can steal a minute or two and check out things besides the obvious Dahon and Tern stuff of course.
Anybody has a specific question I could ask the manufacturer ? Or anything I should make a picture off ?

Let me know and I will try

probably best to follow me on my facebook page as I will be more likely able to post there ...or at least easier, Las Vegas doesn't have wifi usually, its a pain.

Thor
Old 09-16-16, 11:30 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Long, detailed, hands-on reports on new bikes/models--preferably with photos and videos.

Not asking for much.
Old 09-16-16, 12:15 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you see any new interesting e-bike add on kits, I would love to hear about them.
Old 09-16-16, 12:24 PM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Linberl, BF added e-kit option to the PakiT. Plus a 20lb chain/derailleur 8 speed model of the bike. Lightweight and e-assist--that's what you're looking for, right?
Old 09-16-16, 01:52 PM
badmother

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
If you see any new interesting e-bike add on kits, I would love to hear about them.
Easy install..

Old 09-16-16, 02:46 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by tdonline
Linberl, BF added e-kit option to the PakiT. Plus a 20lb chain/derailleur 8 speed model of the bike. Lightweight and e-assist--that's what you're looking for, right?

If those had 20" wheels instead of 16" I would be all over it! I'm still mightily tempted but would need to actually ride one on the crappy roads here first. Since I just this morning sent my BF to Eugene for a major overhaul and repainting, I will wait. At 20 lbs for a 16 inch wheel against my small frame BF at 24.3 lbs, it's not an obvious call.

Same thing with the e-kit. I'm thinking about a shareroller (around 6 lbs) which again keeps the weights pretty similar.

I wonder if you can put 20" wheels on the PakiT**********??
Old 09-16-16, 10:13 PM
sibkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. why Dahon didn't use disc brakes? there's 74 mm hubs for disc brakes
2. why Dahon didn't produce bikes for tall riders (6"1'+), it's not big segment of folding bikes market or something else?
3. what about minivelos from Dahon for EU and US markets?

Last edited by sibkey; 09-17-16 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-17-16, 09:32 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by badmother
I don't know if they even make those anymore but the industry has moved way beyond that. For me, shareroller is looking like the best option right now. Easy on/off, very lightweight. I want something that I can carry in my shoulder bag while I carry the bike up to Bart with my right hand. Ridekick would never work for Bart. Even the PakiT at 31.8 lbs is a bit much for me to carry, so a separable unit is preferable. But maybe someone is gonna come out with something even better than shareroller....??
Old 09-17-16, 12:24 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would think that the shareroller is a good solution, at least for shorter trips.

My guess is that BART is train or buss? I do not often use them with the bike, and I tend to take the Brompton when I do. We are lucky that we can roll the unfolded bike (I always detatch pedals) all the way up to the buss/trains.

My reason for looking at a assisted trailer is that I own a 20" e-bike and it is heavy... plus I am sometimes thinking I want e-assist on one of the other bikes- but not enough to buy and install becouse I may not want it there all the time. Therefor I have recently been thinking of an e-assist trailer instead. Not sure what I`ll end up doing.

The bike i have installed the e-kit on is not really good for rolling folded, and I only want to lift it in and out of the car.

I am looking forwards to bikes that easely charge when riding plus solar cells also effective enough to charge while riding so we do not need the heavy batterys. Maybe solar cell clothing?
Old 09-17-16, 12:28 PM
linberl

Someone needs to marry the Burley Travoy with a detachable e-assist kit!!! Then you could use the trailer without the e- assist when desired, bike without either, or snap the e-assist on the travoy. Wish I was an engineer...
Old 09-17-16, 12:36 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Someone needs to marry the Burley Travoy with a detachable e-assist kit!!! Then you could use the trailer without the e- assist when desired, bike without either, or snap the e-assist on the travoy. Wish I was an engineer...
that is actually a wery good idea! Not sure how to do it, need to do some thinking..

the good thing about the travoy is that most peopel do not think "biketrailer" when they see it so you could take it to places where the sun does not shine..

Personally I have decided that I want a Andersen trolley instead becouse I do not want stuff atatched high up on a looong seatpost.

Peopel would just think"old lady with a shopping cart" if I take it into buildings

https://www.google.no/search?q=ander...HVcdC-IQsAQIJw
Old 09-17-16, 01:08 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by badmother
that is actually a wery good idea! Not sure how to do it, need to do some thinking..

the good thing about the travoy is that most peopel do not think "biketrailer" when they see it so you could take it to places where the sun does not shine..

Personally I have decided that I want a Andersen trolley instead becouse I do not want stuff atatched high up on a looong seatpost.

Peopel would just think"old lady with a shopping cart" if I take it into buildings

https://www.google.no/search?q=ander...HVcdC-IQsAQIJw
Those are cool; never saw them before. I really like their bag design, too. Doesn't seem like they fold up for storage? Should be a way to have two bags...one holding the e-assist, and one for cargo. And the rack should fold up and fit inside the cargo bag, the e-assist stays in its own bag, and both bags should have pannier hooks, too!!! I don't want much, ha ha
Old 09-17-16, 04:41 PM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are cool; never saw them before. I really like their bag design, too. Doesn't seem like they fold up for storage? Should be a way to have two bags...one holding the e-assist, and one for cargo. And the rack should fold up and fit inside the cargo bag, the e-assist stays in its own bag, and both bags should have pannier hooks, too!!! I don't want much, ha ha
German made so maybe easyer to find in europe but can be bought online I think.

Some folding is going on but not as good as the Travoy. You can detatch the wheels but then the axels are sticking out as a weak point. Do not think I would send it like luggage on a plane. There are some big pockets in some of them that can be used for batteryes or similar. Some are water tight, some are insulated for transporting food. the strong ones can carry 50 kg.

Übersicht Showtime - Andersen Shopper® Manufaktur

Maybe we should stop poluting Thors thread..
Old 09-18-16, 03:43 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
love the Anderson trailer, especially the sailcloth ones....
BUT last time i checked they were VERY expensive.... than they need a carrier which is hard to find for a 20 inch bike ...
reminds me that i have to re order pletscher carrier in 20 inch ...

also if 20 inch they lay much lower in front, i wonder how that changes their behavior
Old 09-19-16, 12:56 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
love the Anderson trailer, especially the sailcloth ones....
BUT last time i checked they were VERY expensive.... than they need a carrier which is hard to find for a 20 inch bike ...
reminds me that i have to re order pletscher carrier in 20 inch ...

also if 20 inch they lay much lower in front, i wonder how that changes their behavior
There are smaller gadget to atatch to the rack. Also i would look into making something or just atatch directely to the rack or low down on the seatpost.

Using a tall rack is also an option, maybe one of the ones Andersen sell for full size bikes?

I bought one for a friend some years ago so I have one near by to look at and I would not worry about handeling when towed on a low bike. I would on the other hand not load it with 50 kg and tow it after a low bike, at least not far. That would put more strain on the frame (and less on the wheels) than the manufacturer intended. There is a alu and a steel frame option. That would play a role too.

The entry level ones are not hard to ind around here but the ones I am looking for you have to mail order. RThat is getting easyer now, a few years agi I could not find anybody to order from. There are a few on Ebay now.
Old 09-27-16, 04:15 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interbike was a little underwhelming .... it seems the fat bike craze is over as I hardly saw one at all. Couple of big players weren't there at all. Outdoor Demo was half what it was last year. Dahon wasn't there at all. I said hello at the Brommy booth.
Tern was there with their container booth and a slew of new and exiting bikes. The dealer evening at their rented house gave us the opportunity to actually ride the bikes and get some really good food as well.
I posted some pics on my facebook page ...
In short .. they had the Japanese full size ( small that is ) designer bikes there. They are nice but really designed for the Japanese market. No Mini bikes which I thought was disappointing ( Ill still try to get a handful down the road )
The big news was the ebikes. The Bosch bike is pretty awesome indeed. I like my Bionix but the center motor feels better, very stable and exiting. Even if the 3400 dlr pricetag is hard to swallow for the US market as we are not used to E bike pricing over here. Also there was a linkd7 with center e drive, not quite as nice as the Bosch version but "only" 2000 dlr ....
For me the real big one were the 3 Verge models starting at 900 with 451 wheels, a huge rear sprocket will make for a very wide range of gears, all frames are disc brake ready, and they are a little longer and have slightly different angles. These are riding awesome. Not sure what colors will be coming but I cant wait for those... the middle one has disc brakes too ....

Other than that we were super busy selling spokes and rims and didn't have time to look into all the small little nicks and crannies to find anything of interest.

thor
Old 09-27-16, 04:29 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
I see there's a new Tern Joe coming out,... And I saw they had that cRazY bike I'm interested in - Kwiggle.

As for the pictures on your Facebook page, very nice stuff. The folding demo of the new Tern ebike was cool.
Old 09-28-16, 08:36 AM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks for the update Thor, good pics.

Also i'm guessing fatbikes are dying down now since department stores are now selling them for like $200USD. it's their jump the shark moment .

My local bike store last year sells a ton of them. this year they are mostly stocking mtn bikes, road bikes a hybrids. only a few fat bikes.
Old 09-28-16, 10:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One big issue , It was Never thought of to have a rigid coupling.. Which is absolutely required when it is expected to Push..

Item # 5 the coupling uses a metal universal joint, Burly uses Elastomers for Connecting their Towed trailers.

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-28-16 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-03-16, 08:18 PM
xraytech

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tern Elektron