Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Carry-on folder?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Carry-on folder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-17, 02:38 AM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Carry-on folder?

So my wife, MJ, took this picture this week at PDX, Portland OR. The passenger was in a hurry so she only got limited information. What she did get was the man wheels the bike down the jet-way and leaves it where child seats and strollers are collected before boarding. When arriving the bike is waiting for him as he exits the jet-way into the terminal. The bike is neither boxed or bagged – just folded as shown. We don’t know what airlines he was on and if this service is universally available or not? Are there weight or size limits (compactness)?

Does anyone know more about flying with a folder as non-checked baggage? I would think it would have to fit through the security scanners.
Attached Images

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 03-12-17, 03:58 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Check the FAQ, this is an exact example of what is described there.
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/662536-new-folding-bikes-can-t-choose-read-first.html
Old 03-12-17, 04:53 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
It would be interesting to know how that person "negotiates" with the flight staff to get it gate checked to prevent them from "chucking a wobbly"..lol
Old 03-12-17, 07:47 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I am wondering how he is transporting his luggage-trolley when he is using the bike. The bike is a Brompton L-version w/o rack plus he seems to have an additional laptop bag or alike along with the trolley.

Regarding Bromptons as carry-on: This seems to be possible at least sometimes in the US, the easier if you fly business or first:

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/bromptononboard/

I do not think that this is possible inside Europe and would not like to try.
Old 03-12-17, 10:01 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I spoke to a young guy who had retired. He travells with partner and 2 birdies. Touring afline versions. For years al he does I buy local clingfilm and wrap the bikes. He says airport staff can see I I folded bike. He say never had any issues.
Has once had a mudguard stay bent.
Old 03-12-17, 10:26 AM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on the look of his rolling suitcase and attire, he may be a pilot. I would guess it would be easier for him gate check any item in question.
Old 03-12-17, 01:54 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fourknees
Based on the look of his rolling suitcase and attire, he may be a pilot. I would guess it would be easier for him gate check any item in question.

lol yup
Old 03-12-17, 05:09 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
The Brompton Mafia guys carry-on in the overheads regularly. SW Airlines sounds most lenient, but they've had luck elsewhere. Here're their recommendations.

https://m.facebook.com/BromptonMafia...51591201599714
Old 03-13-17, 09:59 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
overhead luggage is 20 lbs max. I have been in a flight which went into turbulent air and almost all overheads opened and the stuff was flying around. several people injured, flight attendant had a broken arm. I can only imagine what a bike will do hitting somebody in the head.
In other words. first of all its illegal, secondly its dangerous and morally totally wrong.

having the bike gate checked works on some flights, but you always run the risk that it gets rejected and you are loosing the bike.
Whats wrong putting it into an airline legal suitcase and check it like regular baggage ?
Old 03-13-17, 10:45 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
overhead luggage is 20 lbs max. I have been in a flight which went into turbulent air and almost all overheads opened and the stuff was flying around. several people injured, flight attendant had a broken arm. I can only imagine what a bike will do hitting somebody in the head.
In other words. first of all its illegal, secondly its dangerous and morally totally wrong.

having the bike gate checked works on some flights, but you always run the risk that it gets rejected and you are loosing the bike.
Whats wrong putting it into an airline legal suitcase and check it like regular baggage ?
Delta has no weight limit except for 4 airports. I don't know about other airlines, bc I almost exclusively fly Delta
Carry-On Luggage Size, Weight & Dimension Restrictions : Delta Air Lines

CARRY-ON WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS
No maximum weight applies to carry-on baggage except in the below stations:
Singapore, Singapore - Changi International Airport (SIN) carry on should not exceed 15 lbs. (7kgs)
South Korea - Incheon International Airport (ICN) carry on should not exceed 22 lbs. (10kgs)
Beijing, China - Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) requires that domestic hand carry bags should not exceed 10kgs. Individual carrier rules apply for international flights.
Shanghai, China - Pudong International Airport (PVG) carry on should not exceed 22lbs. (10kgs)
Old 03-13-17, 03:24 PM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thorusa
overhead luggage is 20 lbs max. I have been in a flight which went into turbulent air and almost all overheads opened and the stuff was flying around. Several people injured, flight attendant had a broken arm. I can only imagine what a bike will do hitting somebody in the head.

In other words. First of all its illegal, secondly its dangerous and morally totally wrong.
+1
Old 03-13-17, 05:38 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
overhead luggage is 20 lbs max.
Can you foot note this requirement?

I have been putting my Brompton into a case at the gate anyway .
Old 03-13-17, 08:19 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
I fly domestically ~50-60 miles/yr. Mostly United, but also Alaska. I can't find any weight maximum for carry-ons for either on their sites.
Old 03-13-17, 08:29 PM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta

I have been putting my Brompton into a case at the gate anyway .

little bit of googling from my local airline and there you go:

https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/trav...y-on-allowance

also a few times they would make you slide the package through a metal frame, if you can't get it in there you are not bringing it on board. And those frames are pretty small.

also if I knew there was a bicycle above my head I would promptly remove it from the overhead bin and give it to a stewardess unless the owner wants to keep it above their head if they are a few seats away from me. I rather not risk a situation as minimal as some would suggest. All I need is that one time and you are done for, just for the sake of someone's convenience.

Last edited by Azreal911; 03-13-17 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-20-17, 05:31 PM
maxwiggan

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Viscount Aerospace 400

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They have always made me check mine