Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Domo Farm Frites Merckx Corsa 01 -Another Winter Photoshoot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 10:45 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts

I finally got around to taking a few detailed shots of this one out in the cold. May even put a mile or two on it today to see how it feels. This was identified at a 1996 Corsa 01 Frame with the 2002/2001 Domo Farm Frites paint scheme. Has Wendy De Vos name on it and I did get ahold of her to ask about it. She never road for the female team but did ask here ex-husband (team rider and now Belgium National Team Coach) if there was one made with her name on it and no was the answer. So not sure how the name wound up on it. Not a big deal as I bought it because it was a great buy for a Merckx and I've never had one.

I've still got a few things to sort out on this one but here's how it sits now. A respectable 18 lbs 14 ozs as in the pics helped by a pretty light tubular wheelset on it. May run it with different wheels.

Still need to put on the proper blue bar tape which I have.

May swap the bars too.

Number's tab appears to have never been used.

Old 04-09-23, 10:47 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

One of my favorite saddles

Nice White Industries hubs

Nice White Industries hubs

Worse paint damage on the bike.

The mystery, LOL!

Notice how the tubes are flattened a bit going into the BB.
Old 04-09-23, 10:59 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Very nice frameIs the tubing MX Leader ? You seem to like on riding tubulars
Old 04-09-23, 11:50 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by georges1
Very nice frameIs the tubing MX Leader ? You seem to like on riding tubulars
Deda Zero Uno tubing on these. I have no issues riding tubulars, they feel great.
Old 04-09-23, 01:02 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Deda Zero Uno tubing on these. I have no issues riding tubulars, they feel great.
Deda Zero Uno is what I have in my Vetta

On the contrary of you, I dislike tubulars but prefer clinchers or tubeless
Old 04-09-23, 01:12 PM
Fivethumbs

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
That's the only 1996 Merckx I've seen threadless. It came threadless from the factory?
Old 04-09-23, 02:52 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Fivethumbs
That's the only 1996 Merckx I've seen threadless. It came threadless from the factory?
I honestly don't know much of the history of this was. Guy I got it from was told that it was a team bike of Wendy De Vos for the year that Domo Farm Frites had a female team. The frame is dated earlier than the paint scheme came out. So maybe it was repainted and the fork added later? There was no label on the steerer of the fork when I had it out. I found Wendy and was able to determine it was not her bike. I could only find one or two references to a female Domo Farm Frites team and only one female rider associated with it. No info on what bikes they used or how they were built up. The men's team were not using a steel bike then. So this is a nice bike that doesn't add up, LOL!
Old 04-09-23, 05:20 PM
Fivethumbs

I think it's kind of cool to have a mystery bike. Whatever it is, it's a steel Merckx and it looks like a great bike. I have a Della Santa made with Zero Uno and it's a great tube set.
Likes For Fivethumbs:
Old 04-10-23, 09:17 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
I think it's kind of cool to have a mystery bike. Whatever it is, it's a steel Merckx and it looks like a great bike. I have a Della Santa made with Zero Uno and it's a great tube set.
Both of my Peter Mooneys are mainly Zero Uno, and I'll concur here.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 04-10-23, 08:02 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts

Haven't heard Roland's name in a while. I grew up in Reno/Sparks and rode with the Reno Wheelmen for 3 or 4 years. Roland Della Santa was still racing then and running a bike shop. Roland was always helpful and kind and very approachable and always had time to talk. He had a great sense of humor that you came to love. When Greg LeMond came along as a junior racer Roland sponsored his first year which he told me was utterly amazing. After his riding career ended he opened a frame fabrication shop in west Reno right on the Truckee River bank and started making frames and forks more prolifically. Roland was a steel is real guy and I don't think he ever used any other frame material. Roland was a great guy and could really tell a story or two. His bikes were superb. He was a perfectionist in the bicycle frame building craft. He passed away a few years ago and still missed. You have a great bike.
Old 04-10-23, 11:58 PM
Fivethumbs

I agree wholeheartedly! Roland was one of a kind. He made me two framesets and I had just placed an order for a third when he passed away. He never finished it. The two bikes he made for me were flawless. It was so nice to build them up with absolutely no issues whatsoever. Nothing had to be faced, chased or aligned. It was perfect out of the box. On the road they both were reasonably light, handled great, and road straight with no hands. Anyone who's ever ordered a frame from Roland knew that you did not call him about the frame unless you had at least an hour to spare. I would sit there for hours on end and and listen to all the great stories of Lemond and pro racing and frame building. In case anyone did not know, Roland would build you a bike without a penny down and then ship you the bike when finished. You only paid him after you received the bike and approved of it. One other thing I can say about Roland. He was a perfectionist about his frame building but he did not like the idea of a frame of his sitting around as a show bike. He wanted the owners to ride and race the sh_t out of his frames, which I try to do. If it's Belgian weather, I take out the Della Santa.