Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Burnt Out? pro wrench questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 07:17 PM
justinschulz9

Bikes: diamondback century 1, cannondale synapse, giant talon, fuji absolute

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

what is the main drive to keep you moving forward in the cycling industry? what keeps you motivated to keep turning that wrench?
I thoroughly enjoy the conversation and the feeling of helping those who need their bikes for commuting, exercise, and the thrill. to me Bicycles make people happier, only some choose not to see that. i want to see others perspective on why they choose to turn a wrench more than any other job.
Old 12-31-19, 07:29 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Justin,
For me it is the finished product. A good working set up and one that is very ride-able. And then there is the satisfied customers. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-31-19, 08:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
All the usual reasons to do any job. Money (but not too much), personal and social satisfaction, the "family" of the shop, ego (knowing more about something that others who are smart don't). Then there's the less common reasons like not being able to fit into the typical work place/corporate world, being financially independent and needing involvement with the world and you love riding. Andy (of course there's many reasons)

To continue I suspect the not asked question is how does one continue to do this stuff with real world pressures to be self sufficient/successful.
Old 12-31-19, 08:24 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I'm mostly in this for the "Burnt Out" angle.

I'm a "pro mechanic", but in another industry. From '87 to '95 I was a machine operator that did my own repairs whenever possible. That led me to get a job being paid to do those repairs that I've held from 1995 to the present.

I do the job for the money, the freedom of my schedule being set with my customers directly, and not punching a time clock. The good days are when I'm installing or training customers on brand spanking new equipment with new technology built in. The bad days are when I do a dirty, greasy, hard on the body job for the thousandth time, or dealing with a bad customer.

Always, always on my mind is the monthly billing goal we are expected to meet. Which can be stressful one month, and then have a bounty of billing the next month.

The best thing that helps me fight burnout is having several days off in a row where I don't have to see customers, machines, or fight traffic to get to those machines.
Old 12-31-19, 08:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
56's comments remind me of what my late wife said to me when we first were courting. "You're a much nicer person if you ride your bike home from work:" So getting physical relief is important to leave stuff at work.

When I was young I looked forward to learning from the older guys at the shops I stinted in. Then as I took over the management duties I looked forward to teaching the newbies. Now as I am only a few years from the usual retirement I find I'm learning from the young Andy (who is teaching a younger but still old coworker how to braze, currently)
Old 12-31-19, 09:06 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
56's comments remind me of what my late wife said to me when we first were courting. "You're a much nicer person if you ride your bike home from work:" So getting physical relief is important to leave stuff at work.

When I was young I looked forward to learning from the older guys at the shops I stinted in. Then as I took over the management duties I looked forward to teaching the newbies. Now as I am only a few years from the usual retirement I find I'm learning from the young Andy (who is teaching a younger but still old coworker how to braze, currently)
My wife definitely likes my mood upswing when I get to ride one of my bikes. I even notice it myself.
Old 12-31-19, 09:16 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Another thing to fight burnout is to always get better at what you do. Learn how to do the higher skilled things because doing the mundane things can drive you crazy if that's all you do. Unless maybe you're one of those "Zen" mechanics, of which I am not.
Old 01-01-20, 08:11 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I've always been mechanically inclined, and enjoy learning new things. I'm not the youngest guy on this forum, so with all of the changes in the bike industry, I have the chance to learn and wrench at the same time. Double the pleasure, double the fun! The forum is a big help, I'll read about different fixes, even tho they might not apply to my bikes. So, keep up the good advice folks, it's appreciated.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 01-02-20, 04:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Whether it's work or just to volunteer; It's the genuine appreciation from those that are not bashful to seek legit help for a problem/situation that I can resolve or at least assist with.
Old 01-03-20, 02:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
interesting career question, as if any of us really have choices/options
Old 01-03-20, 06:19 PM
d_dutchison
Classic, Vintage Mechanic

Bikes: '65 Legnano Gran Primeo || '76 Holdsworth Mistral || '82 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Every single repair (with the possible exception of punctured tires) presents a unique problem in some way, that and the satisfaction of doing something complicated and well.
Old 01-03-20, 07:09 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
An interesting idea from rumrunn6 about choices, and a comment from myself.
As a former D-1 assistant coach I sent a note to one recent graduate asking how it was entering the working world. He responded: "coach when you are doing what you love it is not work". And I think that sums it up. When wrenching becomes work it is the point of burn out. Most of us here on the forum still "love what we do". Whether it is problem solving, or helping another cyclist, it is what we love to do. When it becomes routine going to work and coming home, it is no longer a work of love, but just another job. And that is burn out. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk: