Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mafac Competition brakeset worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-22, 04:09 PM
KeepPedaling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Mafac Competition brakeset worth?

Been looking on ebay and some people want astronomical prices and I doubt they ever sell any and another guy is asking for $169 including brake levers which I don't have. I can't really find any info on worth. Any ideas?

Old 04-29-22, 05:57 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Look at completed items for real pricing. Maybe based on that referencing, make offers? if pbbikes... forget it, prices to meet and exceed NYC prices.
They are becoming scarce.
the set imaged in my view would need the reneherse upgrade kit, not cheap but the rusted parts would exchange for titanium, (I think a version with stainless steel also?)
would need new brake blocks... those straddle wires fetch an awful price alone.
sexyracingbicycles had a reproduction of those.
In short, the low point of cheap Mafacs has passed.
Old 04-29-22, 06:49 PM
KeepPedaling

So..... Any number you think they're worth as they sit? What if I get rid of the rust and polish them up a little?
Old 04-29-22, 08:19 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Couple of thoughts on the pair of Competitions that you are looking at:

1. They look to be the short reach version so you may want to measure your fork and wheel sets to ensure that the brakes will reach your rims. Would hate to plunk down good money to be disappointed later.
2. If you need to replace the straddle cables, a seller appeared on eBay recently that is selling repros for around $20/pair.
3. If you don’t mind installing Mafac Racers, they are quite common, less expensive and easily found on Craigslist, local bike co-ops, eBay, etc. I have both Competitions and Racers on different bikes and like both sets. To me, they both have more stopping power than their Campy counterparts but don’t tell the Campy enthusiasts that I mentioned that!
4. One can find and pay top dollar for Mafac blocks but the Kool Stop pads are very nice and probably will perform better.

if you want to stick with the Competitions, I think that you can find them at a better price but it may take some time and patience.

Good luck!
Likes For Flying G:
Old 04-29-22, 08:31 PM
KeepPedaling

I'm sorry for not making it clear in the beginning but these are actually mine. I got them off a px10 with a very slightly bent down tube so I just took the parts off and plan on ditching the frame. Anyway I was just checking what they might be worth as I planned to clean them up and sell them. I was surprised when I started researching at some of the prices I was seeing but also confused. Hence why I came here to try to get some clarification from the OG's!
Old 04-29-22, 10:00 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
I bought a set of Competitions in somewhat better condition than yours earlier this year on eBay for $50.

The real issue is that replacing all the rusty hardware will cost more than the brakes are worth, unless you have a stash of Racers to rob from.
Old 04-29-22, 10:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
$20 is fair.

And there's a subforum for this:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...th-appraisals/
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-29-22, 11:17 PM
KeepPedaling

I swear I was looking for that forum and it's literally right below this forum!!! I'm old!
Old 04-30-22, 06:28 AM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
I will agree with the sentiments of some others. Condition is king. The value falls off very sharply from NOS to excellent to good, etc. They quickly fall into the category of “ for parts” and when some of the parts are missing, damaged, or rusted the value is impacted further. Having said that, this set has decent calipers that would polish nicely and has all four pad holders- which are a frequently sought after thing. To return a set to a higher level of aesthetic appeal with the purchase of parts gets expensive quickly. As expensive as the better examples on the market are it is still usually a better prospect to buy the best example that you can find within budget than to restore with replacement parts NOS, Rene Herse, or Grand Bois.
Old 04-30-22, 03:53 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by KeepPedaling
I'm sorry for not making it clear in the beginning but these are actually mine. I got them off a px10 with a very slightly bent down tube so I just took the parts off and plan on ditching the frame. Anyway I was just checking what they might be worth as I planned to clean them up and sell them. I was surprised when I started researching at some of the prices I was seeing but also confused. Hence why I came here to try to get some clarification from the OG's!

You can make a stool out of the frame.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk