Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I hate working on bikes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

I hate working on bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-23, 08:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am willing to pay a fair price for good enough and to pay more for optimal, because some degree of tinkering is often required to get from good enough to optimal.
Precisely why you want to know who the top mechanic is and make sure they are the one tinkering with your bike.
Old 02-22-23, 11:11 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car
This can be entertaining:
03(?) Honda CB919, bad speed sensor (speedometer doesn't work.) I installed crank sensor from 04 Dodge Neon.
Funny thing, about 1 year later I got Honda VTX1800 with exactly same problem. As soon as I looked at not working speedometer, I just started smiling! Same solution!!!!
I have a video about it, if anybody wants to see it, let me know. Who wants a story about Dodge radiator fan on BMW?
Ignore list?
Old 02-23-23, 05:37 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I helped train a retired auto mechanic to volunteer at a non-profit bike shop. During the first day he said, "You'd think this would be easy." He could rebuild transmissions, engine blocks and valve trains, but adjusting a front derailleur was beyond him (for the moment). It's just a new thing to learn. Some pick it up fast, some just never do.

I hate painting, and drywall work. Those skills helped pay my way through college. But I still do quite a bit of it. The goal now is to save money and remain self-sufficient. I've stopped roofing (and most other ladder work) for safety reasons. 65 year-old men really shouldn't be doing that.
My Dad could fix almost anything. The main thing he imparted to me is to try. Even if you fail, try.
He was climbing roofs into his 80's not for money, but because he loved construction.
Bicycles do that for me.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 02-23-23, 06:46 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus

I've stopped roofing (and most other ladder work) for safety reasons. 65 year-old men really shouldn't be doing that.
My daughter is a physical therapist. She says that older men falling off a ladder and breaking both ankles is a common injury mode. “But I’ve been climbing ladders for fifty years!”

I’ve taken that to heart and gave her the long ladder. I will still climb a 12’ ladder, but not go off the ladder onto the roof. I also place ladder carefully, always have spotter, wear tie shoes with good grip and separate heels. Alway keep at least two limbs on the ladder.
Likes For canalligators:
Old 02-23-23, 08:20 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
flipped bars look great.

I'm not a fan of working on bikes either. I keep off road riding to a minimum because of this. The increased maintenance is a hassle.

When I hit lotto I'm going to be like Jay Leno and convert an old factory to my bicycle collection warehouse with a full-time staff.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 02-23-23, 08:23 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I can't say I enjoy rotating the tires on the Suby, but I enjoy knowing I can and have the necessary equipment. This is how I look at bicycle maintenance. What I cannot perform can be outsourced.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 02-23-23, 11:11 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by canalligators
I’ve taken that to heart and gave her the long ladder. I will still climb a 12’ ladder, ...
12' is a long ladder! I only dare to climb this (Little Giant MegaLite 17 Ladder with Tip & Glide Wheels | Costco) in its A configuration.

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I can't say I enjoy rotating the tires on the Suby, but I enjoy knowing I can and have the necessary equipment. This is how I look at bicycle maintenance. What I cannot perform can be outsourced.
I do my own oil changes and tire rotation not because I like it, but because it is faster than taking it to have it done at the dealer.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 02-23-23, 08:24 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
..I do my own oil changes and tire rotation not because I like it, but because it is faster than taking it to have it done at the dealer.
Same here, and sometimes I see other problems while I'm doing it--brakes, CV boots, engine oil or coolant leaks, uneven tire wear, etc.
Old 02-24-23, 01:56 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
I still enjoy working on GOOD or decent older bikes. Building up my brother's Rivendell Clem Smith Jr. as a 3x9 Shimano Mega-9 indexed bike was fun. It's a long fellow.

Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Tires and chains are still a chore, however.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 02-24-23, 05:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
It's a long fellow.

Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.
... with room for 5 water bottles.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-03-23, 08:54 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I do most of the work myself, been doing it for 40 years. Some stuff I don't do simply because I don't have the tools for it, but the reason I don't have the tools is because the part in question have never failed so why buy a tool I may only use once in my lifetime?

I have 8 bikes, not a lot compared to some people I've heard about, but sometimes I don't have the time to work on a bike to get it ready for spring, and since there is a newish bike shop in town operated by extremely nice and young husband and wife team, I felt the need to help support them so I have taken a couple bikes to them to be tuned, they don't charge much so why not! They have one of my bikes right now doing a complete overhaul because I found it leaning against a trash can and it's in excellent condition for being made in 1977. So between a badly injured pinky (almost lost it) finger, and lack of time, I took it to them to go entirely through it, and to rebuild the wheels which I don't do anyways because the cost of the wheel building tools doesn't make it worth it for me.

For me it just depends. Right now till my finger heals up to some degree, I might have to use the shop more than I like.

That 77 bike I found was a Raleigh Competition GS, it really nice shape, no pitting or rust on the chrome fork and stays, no rust or even scratches on the paint, just one rub mark on the bottom of the top tube probably from hanging for years on hooks. Some of the small bolts had rust, but the shop got it all off. This bike was barely used, the original B17 saddle was still on it and there's no sit bone protrusions?! Then the goofy owner put new Bontrager RL tires before dumping it? I think he dumped it because the headset locked up, the bike shop was able to get it to work very smoothly. I had partial box set of Campy Nuovo Record derailleurs and hubs that I never used when I bought them in 1976! So the shop took off the Campy Nuovo Gran Sport stuff and put my stuff on. I'm hoping to have it back tomorrow. I had them put on Brooks dark brown leather handlebar tape; I'm thinking of twinning it and shellacking it sometime in the near future. The bike had the original pump on it too, but it was all busted up inside, and I ordered a period correct water bottle cage and brackets that has to be strapped onto the frame because these came without the bosses. I also need to get a pair of Conti Classic Grand Prix tires, those have the dark tan sidewalls, they'll look cool it on it.

Normally I would be doing most of the work on that bike, except for the wheels, but the injury is preventing me at this time, not sure if the finger will come back correctly, the doctor had little hope for it, so I have to see how much use I can apply to it once some time has gone by, I was concerned about being able to ride my bikes this summer, due to swelling in the palm area, but that has mostly receded.

The way I see your situation, it's better to ride your bike, then to be working on something you don't like doing and getting burned out from doing that, then you'll have problems enjoying riding because of the dread of having to work on the bike, so keep doing what your doing, don't let someone tell you you're wasting money, it's your money, use it as you see fit!

Last edited by greatscott; 03-03-23 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-04-23, 06:49 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Ignore list.
Is there anybody left here who isn't on your ignore list?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-04-23, 07:00 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Is there anybody left here who isn't on your ignore list?
Kapaun would put you on his ignore list for saying you like hot dogs and Coke, or saying puppies are cute. It doesn’t take much.
Likes For smd4: