Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Steel frames: lugged vs. TIG welded

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Steel frames: lugged vs. TIG welded

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 06:47 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Over the years I’ve heard now and then various reasons offered as to why lugged frames might be stronger or more durable than welded ones. Coincidentally, usually from people who happened to prefer the aesthetics of lugs over welding . In practice, it’s a wash and a competently built frame will last for many years whether lugged or not.

Originally Posted by JochenRindt
I have a LeMond with 853 tubing that is more than twenty years old and has at least 15k miles on it. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm worried that one day when I'm cleaning it, I'll see a crack in one of the welds.
The one putative advantage of lugged construction over welding that might have a grain of truth is that the higher temperature required to make a weld makes it more likely for an inexperienced or unskilled builder to overheat the steel and render it brittle. And that would lead to cracks forming at the welds. But it’s also possible to do a poor job of brazing a lugged joint in various ways, so really you just want someone who knows what they’re doing to build your frame and we’re back to it just not really mattering. The good news is 15k miles ought to be enough to cause cracks from brittle steel to start appearing, so you should be OK.
Old 06-21-23, 07:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I doubt it would really make a huge difference but it would be interesting to have a builder who is extremely proficient in lugged, brazed and TIG build three as identical frames as possible and then do some testing on all three. Or maybe a couple builders who are as close in style as possible or at least building the same geometry with as similar tubes as is possible.

In the end I think for me a really nice lugged frame with some unique lugs would be the top of the list but brazed and TIG would follow. My ultimate dream is a lugged titanium bike which I recognize is basically not practical or realistic as brazing titanium is really hard and and super sterile process and I don't want fake welded lugs or a different material.
Old 06-21-23, 08:21 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Like all of these discussions it devolves into the romantics transposing fond memories of days of yore. Tig is superior in numerous way’s. The frame can be lighter because no lugs. The frame can be lighter because the butts can be much shorter. It is easy to see the quality of the joint unlike brazing where it’s just a guess. It takes greater prep to ensure the mitres are perfect. Lastly it takes greater skill as all errors are exposed, you can’t cover up once a error occurs.

Lugged construction is much easier and requires less equipment which makes it popular with the small builders and hobbyists.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 06-21-23, 08:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Like all of these discussions it devolves into the romantics transposing fond memories of days of yore. Tig is superior in numerous way’s. The frame can be lighter because no lugs. The frame can be lighter because the butts can be much shorter. It is easy to see the quality of the joint unlike brazing where it’s just a guess. It takes greater prep to ensure the mitres are perfect. Lastly it takes greater skill as all errors are exposed, you can’t cover up once a error occurs.

Lugged construction is much easier and requires less equipment which makes it popular with the small builders and hobbyists.
And other things equal, tig welded frames are less expensive.

When I bought a custom steel frame, I went with Waterford Precision Cycles. They offered lugged frames (under the Waterford name) and tig welded frames (under the Gunnar name). Aside from the joining method, the frames only differed in the fanciness of the paint and decals and in the prices -- the lugged Waterford frame would've been about $700 more expensive. Otherwise, same tubesets, same builders, same painters and paints, etc. Since I was planning to ride the bike rather than gaze lovingly on it, I chose the tig welded Gunnar. After four years and about 17k miles, I have no regrets. And as for the OP's concerns: that frame has been absolutely thrashed (it's a gravel rig), as has my 20+ year old LeMond that has been ridden well over 40k miles.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-22-23, 09:59 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
FYI...Brazed and braised are not the same thing.
Well, but Larry did ask about "egg considerations" so maybe he's talking about poached rather than braised?

Originally Posted by grolby
The one putative advantage of lugged construction over welding that might have a grain of truth is that the higher temperature required to make a weld makes it more likely for an inexperienced or unskilled builder to overheat the steel and render it brittle.
It's also worth noting that another supposed advantage [sic] of lugged construction that seems to get a lot of traction on the internet is in fact a myth:
Folks will often talk about how easy it is to repair a damaged lugged frame, because you can just heat up the lugs, remove the damaged tube, and ...

...and what exactly? You can't replace a top tube or down tube or seat tube on an already-built lugged frame without disturbing the alignment*
Plus, just try to find a competant and experienced framebuilder to take on that sort of repair work! I don't doubt there are hacks who might accept the challenge, but real artisans? Naw. It's a red herring.

*ironically, you can replace a top tube or down tube or seat tube on an already-built TIG-welded frame without disturbing the alignment...so long as it's only one of those tubes. More than one though and you're SOL.
Old 06-22-23, 03:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
It's also worth noting that another supposed advantage [sic] of lugged construction that seems to get a lot of traction on the internet is in fact a myth:
Folks will often talk about how easy it is to repair a damaged lugged frame, because you can just heat up the lugs, remove the damaged tube, and ...

...and what exactly? You can't replace a top tube or down tube or seat tube on an already-built lugged frame without disturbing the alignment*
Plus, just try to find a competant and experienced framebuilder to take on that sort of repair work! I don't doubt there are hacks who might accept the challenge, but real artisans? Naw. It's a red herring.

*ironically, you can replace a top tube or down tube or seat tube on an already-built TIG-welded frame without disturbing the alignment...so long as it's only one of those tubes. More than one though and you're SOL.
Jeff Bock has done exactly what you are saying only a hack would handle. I saw frames in his shop needing tube replacement. Further, there is more to the frame than just a main tube. Seat stays, chain stays, dropouts- these are all replaceable on a lugged frame(not saying they arent replaceable on a tig frame). None are easy to replace, but I really dont think anyone with any knowledge or understanding would claim the process is easy.
And yes, realignment needs to be considered. It needs to be considered for any frame that is blasted with a bunch of heat at a joint, so it is hardly unique to lugged frames. I would expect any frame that has any tube, lug, or dropout replaced to be checked for alignment.

...Bock isnt a hack- he is a long time well respected builder, fabricator, and refinisher.
Old 06-22-23, 04:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
My friend was riding no hands on his Landshark (that I sold him) and he crashed into a large concrete potted plant, bending the top and down tubes. He sent the frame back to John Slawta at Landshark and John replaced those tubes and repainted it.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-22-23, 11:36 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Just for the sake of curiosity, which one is stronger and/or will last longer?
Yes, definitely.
Old 06-23-23, 12:26 AM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I would expect any frame that has any tube, lug, or dropout replaced to be checked for alignment.

...Bock isnt a hack- he is a long time well respected builder, fabricator, and refinisher.
Brian Baylis was far from a hack. He replaced top and down tubes and repainted my wife’s Tesch Model 100.
Old 06-23-23, 06:13 PM
socalife

Bikes: Colnago ACR, Viner record corse, Benotto 3000, Torelli super strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
If you look at chromoly (4130) tube construction in aircraft and older racing car frames, it was TIG welded. TIG welding will give the strongest connection between tubes because the parent metal is melted and combined with filler metal (of a similar material) and joined together at the molecular level. TIG welding can be more costly because the equipment and electric power required is expensive. Weldors certified in electric arc processes have their test joints X-Ray tested to confirm complete fusion all the way through. The weak area of these joints is the area of each tube right next to the actual weld (called the heat affected zone) and the design of the item (frame) needs to take that into account. TIG welding introduces a higher temperature to the metal in the heat affected zone. I believe this is one of the reasons TIG welded frames use larger diameter tubes.

Brazing requires cheaper equipment and no electric power and the joint is a mechanical bond similar to copper waterpipe soldering.

In general, brazing (OAW-oxy aceteline welding) is easier to learn than TIG (tungstun inert gas) welding

In the industrial world, most everything is usually electric arc welded and TIG welded when working with thin wall tubes

Last edited by socalife; 06-23-23 at 06:15 PM. Reason: word change
Old 06-23-23, 08:00 PM
Koyote

Well, but Larry did ask about "egg considerations" so maybe he's talking about poached rather than braised?

Incorrect. I was once at my LBS while they were stripping down a Waterford with a buckled top tube, which happened in some sort of wreck. They were sending it back to Waterford for repair, which was cheaper than a new frame.

Are you calling Waterford "hacks"?
Old 06-23-23, 08:04 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

Aesthetically lugs are better but that’s just me.
And me

Old 06-23-23, 08:13 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
I always wonder about those lifetime frame guarantees. I still have the receipt for my StumpJumper, so would Specialized honor it some day if the frame failed? (I can't even imagine what that would mean ...) I bought it in 1993, and they don't even make steel frames anymore. Huh.
You never know.

I bought a Raleigh Competition in Reynolds 531 tubing when I was 16 and starting out in racing. It was the most bike I could afford, and I thought it was glorious -- Shimano 600 and FiR wheels.

Anyway, many years later -- almost 20, I believe -- the seat tube cracked below the lug and I took it to the shop I bought it, and they replaced the frame and swapped over all the components as much as they could (downtube shifters weren't an option).
Old 06-23-23, 08:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Just for the sake of curiosity, which one is stronger and/or will last longer?
Properly built, they are essentially equivalent. TIG welding lends itself more readily to automated production and non-standard frame geometries and tube shapes.
Old 06-24-23, 07:46 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bock isnt a hack
Originally Posted by stoneageyosh
Brian Baylis was far from a hack.
Originally Posted by Koyote
Are you calling Waterford "hacks"?
I'm saying that while lots of folks can probably name one or two framebuilders who have done this sort of work, the likelihood of your being able to find one of those framebuilders who is available and willing to take on the project in a timely manner when you find yourself in sudden need of a frame repair is vanishingly small. And that's based on the same anecdotal empiricism that ^^^those three names above came from: I know at least four other cyclists -- plus myself, btw -- who, over the past ~12 years tried to find a reputable framebuilder who would do this sort of repair project and ultimately gave up because we couldn't find anyone willing to take on the job.

iow, the issue isn't really that no one can do the work; it's that the number of places that can do the work is vastly smaller than the number of folks on the internet claiming that "it's an easy fix, there are plenty of places that can do it!"
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 06-24-23, 08:01 AM
Koyote

I'm saying that while lots of folks can probably name one or two framebuilders who have done this sort of work, the likelihood of your being able to find one of those framebuilders who is available and willing to take on the project in a timely manner when you find yourself in sudden need of a frame repair is vanishingly small.
Except that's not what you wrote; you wrote this claim, which you now seem to have abandoned after reading several responses which proved you to be incorrect:

You could just admit that you were wrong...But people never do that on the internet.
Old 06-24-23, 09:26 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by Koyote
You could just admit that you were wrong...But people never do that on the internet.
LOL! Dude, it's Bike Forums.net, you were expecting anything else?

I now command you to reply to this post! Good doggie!
Old 06-24-23, 09:26 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
FYI...Brazed and braised are not the same thing.
Besides, filet is already really tender and braising would turn it into mush.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 06-24-23 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-24-23, 09:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
I have a TIG-welded Ritchey Road Logic. The welds are fairly small, especially compared to the ones on my Cannondale (big, filed/sanded down smooth) or Litespeed (stack of dimes), and don't draw attention to themselves like lugs or fillet brazing. It's a simpler look, and given that the bike is 26 years old and has tens of thousands of miles on it, ridden by a big fat bastard, and is still in great condition, I conclude that TIG welding done right is plenty strong. Obviously, so is lugged or filet brazed, also if done right.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-24-23, 10:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I'm saying that while lots of folks can probably name one or two framebuilders who have done this sort of work, the likelihood of your being able to find one of those framebuilders who is available and willing to take on the project in a timely manner when you find yourself in sudden need of a frame repair is vanishingly small. And that's based on the same anecdotal empiricism that ^^^those three names above came from: I know at least four other cyclists -- plus myself, btw -- who, over the past ~12 years tried to find a reputable framebuilder who would do this sort of repair project and ultimately gave up because we couldn't find anyone willing to take on the job.

iow, the issue isn't really that no one can do the work; it's that the number of places that can do the work is vastly smaller than the number of folks on the internet claiming that "it's an easy fix, there are plenty of places that can do it!"

Below is what you posted earlier and what I responded to.
I, and others, have cited multiple well respected builders to counter your claim.

You then move the goal posts and claim it will be difficult to find someone who can repair thee frame quickly.
Um...OK, that is a totally different point than what you said earlier. Like not even close to the same point.

Tldr- you posted a baseless comment, got clowned, and you are now trying to pivot rather than take the L.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-24-23, 01:29 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

you posted a baseless comment, got clowned, and you are now trying to pivot rather than take the L.
Gosh, "clowned" on BikeForums.net, how will I ever live with myself?!?! Next thing you know We're Going To Yell At You.

:::dancingbanana:::
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 06-24-23, 03:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Gosh, "clowned" on BikeForums.net, how will I ever live with myself?!?! Next thing you know We're Going To Yell At You.

:::dancingbanana:::
Some people can accept they are fundamentally wrong about something, say so, and learn from it.
Others lash out, deflect, and dismiss.
Old 06-24-23, 03:28 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Ostensible goalpost-moving and bickering aside, if you own a high-quality (Reynolds, Columbus, etc.) steel bike and you're looking for a frame builder willing to repair the frame, you're probably in luck if near a high-population area. If not, probably not.

You can always ship a frame to a frame builder and ride your spare bike, assuming that you're not out on tour somewhere. If you are on tour in a remote area, you have to hope you find, e.g., a service station with a welder who knows how to repair thin-walled steel tubes without burning through or otherwise severely damaging the tubes.
Old 06-24-23, 09:17 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
The longevity of a fabricated mechanical device depends on how it is engineered. Any frame manufacturer can make mistakes. If the person making the bicycle frame does not make any mistakes then it will not matter how they join the tubes together, the life of the frame will be infinite for all practical purposes. There are literally hundreds of thousands of old steel bike frames out there which have outlived their original owners and their original front sprockets and other components, and enough of them which have outlived multiple owners and sets of components.
Old 06-25-23, 06:30 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Some people can accept they are fundamentally wrong about something, say so, and learn from it.
On BikeForums.net?!?! Have you looked around?

Geez, this place is getting soft...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.