Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best type of bike all around?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best type of bike all around?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-23, 03:22 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by majmt
For your consideration, a classic lugged-steel fast-touring bike with only minor mods could cover all of the ground you described
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Get something that doesn’t look that nice. My bike is too bling to use in any utilitarian way, even though it could. Get a Surly Disc Trucker with a completely trashed paint job.
A touring bike is what I thought of first as well. You can used fairly cheap, they will accept tires large enough for riding off road, they are super comfy if sized properly, have mount points to attach ANYTHING. For older bikes a Disc Trucker, Stragler, or Cross Check - all made by Surly. A Trek 520 is a classic that works well off road and the new 520 is excellent off road and can still be fast on pavement. If you think you will be off road for the majority of time why not a hard tail MTB- def not as fast on roads but way more comfortable off road in the rough stuff

Also, could you be more specific of what you meant by "rocks"
Old 06-25-23, 05:49 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Mountainbike hands-down. It can go anywhere, do anything any other bike can, and almost never gets flats compared to bikes with skinnier tires. Also if you get a nice used one from the 1990s with a steel frame it will last a lifetime and used parts for it are dirt-cheap.

Old 06-25-23, 07:33 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Mountainbike hands-down. It can go anywhere, do anything any other bike can, and almost never gets flats compared to bikes with skinnier tires. Also if you get a nice used one from the 1990s with a steel frame it will last a lifetime and used parts for it are dirt-cheap.

A 90’s mountain bike is essentially the same thing as a modern flat bar gravel bike but with smaller wheels. It’s a solid option. The setup pictured is probably unstable at any speed and any surface, due to improper setup.

You did a great job illustrating an incorrect bike fit to the OP. I wish you would have explained more. Looks like that bike is frame is at least 2” too small for the rider. The seat to stem drop seems to be 5-6” inches which is way past the 2” drop a bike like that should have. The stem is too long to compensate for the small frame it’s upside down. It’ll also be difficult to open your lungs in that position.

But yeah, it’s a great start, just use this picture as a reference of what not to do.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 06-25-23, 12:54 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
If on a tight budget, look at fully rigid mountain bikes from the 1990's or a hardtail that was converted at a later date.
Yep that would be my pick as well and they are also very versatile on all kind of terrain
Old 06-25-23, 12:59 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
This what I use when going mountain biking or in not so friendly paved roads or trails, it is 31 years old but solid as a tank, upgraded wheels and drivetrain and it performs flawlessly.
Old 06-26-23, 04:53 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Just remember that whichever bike/frame you choose, you can also have more than one set-up for it. For example, I have a summer and a winter set up for my mtb. In winter, I use 2.1" knobby tires. In summer, I use 1.25" slicks. I also swap out my suspension fork for rigid aluminum every spring. There are other tweaks I make, including saddle, seatpost, pedals, stems and wheels. So, I basically go from "heavy and rugged" in winter to "light and fast" in summer.
If you buy something used, you might have the money left over to give you some variation.
Old 06-26-23, 10:33 PM
Desert63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhoot960
In the communities opinion, what would be the best bike for someone who rides on all types of terrain, road, pavement, grass, gravel, rocks, everything you can think of what would be your choice for comfortablity and sturdiness? I am a 16 year old male and am 5'11, 140 lbs or 63 kilos. You can reccomend me a whole genre of bike or a actual bike with a link. Thanks!
This is the same thing I was looking for, and I believe I found it. But my recommendation is based on how hard you want to ride. REI has the COOP, both a MTB and a Cruiser Hybrid. It is lower on the Shimano components list, but I have thousands of miles on mine in every environment you talked about. I do limited downhill and do it pretty gently, so its not a MTBers hardcore downhill bike, but I have used it for that. Selling used all over Seattle for $300-$500. On my COOP cruiser hybrid, I have put up to 2.1-inch tires, but I keep the default 1.6 ones on normally. That gets me through everything, except really deep gravel or borderline sand. Love mine. I am on the heavier side at 6'2", 200.
Old 06-27-23, 12:58 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
I live in Cambodia and have a home in Pennsylvania.
These are what I ride on the crappy roads here, everything from concrete, crappy tar, dirt, washed out gravel, singletrack or paths.

Get a bike and ride it.
Old 06-27-23, 03:11 AM
Mike sgonre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Personally, I also prefer gravel road bikes, because gravel roads combine the characteristics of mountains and roads and adapt to any complicated road conditions. My friend owns a SAVA gravel 105 22speed carbon fiber bike. I used it once and it feels great. While I'm currently on a hardtail mountain bike, the next one might be gravel road