Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Routing advice: Regensburg - Prague - Dresden - Berlin - Amsterdam - Luxemburg

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 05:11 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts

Our initial plans were to ride EV6 east until Vidin BG, turning south to Sofia and then east again to Istanbul. The situation in Istanbul being what it is, my wife is not so keen anymore on riding "'til the end of Europe" so we are considering alternatives. (We travel with our daughters, the little one being 5).

One possibility is to take things at a more leisurely pace and fly out of Sofia.

Another would be to loop back into France going through Berlin. The tentative itinerary would therefore branch out of EV6 at Regensburg, headed towards Prague, etc.

As there are no obvious EV routes to do this, we'll probably use a cycling router (gMaps, mapQuest, etc.) as a first approximation of a route going through the cities enumerated in the title. (As we camp, we'll adjust based on camping locations)

If you are familiar with this region, please let me know if there are places not to be missed or others best avoided. There could also be terrain features that would suggest one route over another. My understanding is that Berlin and Amsterdam enjoy a strong fan base in our family (the rest belonging to the unknown-but-could-be-cool category)
Old 06-02-16, 10:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Definitely not in that order unless you use the Train.. you got a Paper Map?
Old 06-03-16, 06:50 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My first "tour" was from Regensburg to Garmisch, waaay back in the day. Very fond memories and hooked me on bike riding in general.
Old 06-03-16, 09:35 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Definitely not in that order unless you use the Train.. you got a Paper Map?
Why?
Old 06-03-16, 10:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just get them in itinerary sequence of The next nearest place .. rather than a lot of overnight trains.jumping from one side of the EU to the other

# 1... you can lay a paper map on the table and Look at the routes..

[many Americans suck at basic geography , knowing where countries , cities, landscapes (before invading and bombing them)] around the world are.

(except for looking it up right, then, on their Phone)

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-03-16 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-04-16, 01:40 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Just get them in itinerary sequence of The next nearest place .. rather than a lot of overnight trains.jumping from one side of the EU to the other

# 1... you can lay a paper map on the table and Look at the routes..

[many Americans suck at basic geography , knowing where countries , cities, landscapes (before invading and bombing them)] around the world are.

(except for looking it up right, then, on their Phone)
Don't see what you mean. My wife and I start from Saint Nazaire. Kids are dropped by grandparents in Chagny. Once in Regensburg we stay on EV6 and ride until Sofia, or we loop counter clockwise through the cities listed above.

See here
Old 06-04-16, 03:00 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Don't see what you mean. My wife and I start from Saint Nazaire. Kids are dropped by grandparents in Chagny. Once in Regensburg we stay on EV6 and ride until Sofia, or we loop counter clockwise through the cities listed above.

See here
Keep in mind that currently there's severe flooding in large parts of Germany and France. A few states have declared a state of emergency and the Bundeswehr has been mobilized. The large rivers such as Donau and Elbe are apparently worst affected so the river EV routes are likely out of the question. Touring in crisis areas may prove challenging as services and accomodations may be largely affected.

We're taking a ferry to germany today and this whole flood thing has just changed all our route plans. It may well be that we'll need to do our original loop backwards so start in Belgium and France and end up in prague
Old 06-04-16, 03:09 AM
gauvins

I didn't know about Germany (I am currently in southern France and familiar with the situation in Paris and Loiret).

We are supposed to start later this month. Hopefully all of summer's rain has fallen... But thanks for alerting me to this situation.

[Edit]

Googled news eurovelo but found no related story. Hopefully waters will recede and the paths will not have been damaged.

Last edited by gauvins; 06-04-16 at 03:19 AM.