Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Squeaky rear bike shock/spring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-23, 05:14 PM
Cayden47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The suspension spring on the back of my bike is making a squeak every time it compresses. It’s quite loud and I’m not sure if it’s the actual shock or points for it to compress its not being lubricated, or if one of the bolts in the point for it to compress is loose. If anyone can help me with my issue it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-23, 06:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Cayden47
The suspension spring on the back of my bike is making a squeak every time it compresses. It’s quite loud and I’m not sure if it’s the actual shock or points for it to compress its not being lubricated, or if one of the bolts in the point for it to compress is loose. If anyone can help me with my issue it would be greatly appreciated.
When coil springs compress, they twist slightly. It's possible that weather had washed everything to bare metal, so that twist is causing a squeak.

Consider a drop of oil at the spring end caps, and both mounting/pivot bolts.

If you're curious, you might lube one place at a time and test ride. If not, do it all at once.

BTW don't forget about the swing arm pivot. Even if it's on a ball bearing, the bracket faces need an oil film.

Come back for the advanced course if you still have the same issue.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-14-23 at 10:11 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-14-23, 09:29 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Specifically you should find teflon oil like TriFlow. TriFlow is a superior multi use lube, you can use it anywhere on a bike for anything that needs lube, even the chain, but there is better chain lube, but TriFlow is better for everything else on a bike.
Old 04-14-23, 11:20 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
sounds like it's time for some much over-due maintenance... and none of us can do that for you.

Squeaks are Metal on metal chatter... the parts repeatedly stick and release... you hear your bike screaming for help.

Last edited by maddog34; 04-14-23 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-14-23, 11:25 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
there are any number of videos that have tips on avoiding suspension failure.
here's an article on the subject.
https://bikerumor.com/suspension-tec...ting-smoothly/
Likes For maddog34: