Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What rollerbrakes' replacement parts should I have in disposal

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 03:17 AM
user1617

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am thinking of buying a bicycle with a drum brake mechanism.
This design is known to have less wear-and-tear and maintenance time from the cyclist, but I am trying to visualize a morning where I realize I have a problem with it.
What replacement parts should I have in my toolbox so I can solve an issue with it by myself and not to go the retailer?
I am not talking about 15mm and 17mm wrenches and a few Hex keys.
I am asking what brakes parts should I have to be able to fix a common use case with this brake?
Old 06-28-23, 12:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
You might want to post what brakes you are going with like the exact ones currently you have Roller Brakes in the title and then say Drum Brake in the post which is already confusing and then you don't list which brake. You could look at a breakdown of the specific brake you are looking at and see what parts are available to you and get those parts as needed.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-28-23, 03:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...drum brakes vary, but on bicycles, the ones I've used are pretty durable. Those were mostly rear coaster brake hubs, of 1, 2, or 3 speeds. I've never actually bought any bike drum brakes or repair parts new, so I couldn't tell you a good list. I've never had the shoes or any of the internals actually wear out, but they do require new grease regularly, if you ride them hard. that's why they called the Repack race the repack race.

Everything I've ever had to repair was fixed with parts taken off another hub, salvaged from some busted wheel.

So if you're looking for repair parts, the cheapest and easiest way (IME) would be to set yourself up with a couple of scrapped hubs of the same make and model.
Old 06-28-23, 08:46 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Dispose the roller brakes is right. LOL. They are the stupidest thing ever put on a bike.
There is ONLY one drum brake. For sure on the front hub get an actual XL Sturmey Archer drum brake, better yet with a dyno.
Fit and forget for 30,000+ miles. I finally had to make a longer arm on it to extend the life.
My new roadster came with roller brakes and a Nexus 7i. Boat anchors is what they are. And they are NOT lighter either. They are in my closet now.
My 2012 SA wheels are now on the Simcoe. Rode it 92 miles yesterday.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-29-23 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 07:51 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I am running bikes with 50 year old rims and centerpull brakes, and all they have ever needed is new pads occasionally, so I don't see how any bicycle brake is taking up anyone's time or resources to maintain.