Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another Dent Thread. Safe or Not?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 09:03 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts

A friend of mine has a beloved old road bike he uses as a commuter. Locks it up and leaves it all over Chicago and Manhattan. Recently, somebody put a lot of effort into stealing the bike and bent and dented the frame in the process. He says the front wheel rubs the frame now. I advised him to make wind chimes out of the frame and we'll find another commuter for him. He loves the bike and wants to hammer it back into shape and continue commuting on it. He studied as a mechanical engineer, so he's got some knowledge related to what he wants to do. Still, this sounds like a terrible idea to me. What do you say? I'll pass on your comments to him. Here's some photos of the bike.

Last edited by Sedgemop; 08-08-23 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-08-23, 09:24 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
If the front wheel is rubbing the frame, it's so outta whack that it might take a framebuilder to fix it. If the rest of the components are in good shape, I'd tell your friend he should just find a new to him used frame.
Old 08-08-23, 09:32 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
As I learned from another mechanical engineer (whose initials are @gugie), “Safety third!”
Old 08-08-23, 09:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Since he is studying mechanical engineering have him investigate what happens to a tube when it is not longer in a “tube“ shape as well as the forces on a bicycle downtube. A tube with a kink in it like this one won’t stay straight too long. Given that the front tire is rubbing on the frame, there is severe bending of the frame as well. Time to find a new frame.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-08-23, 09:45 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Originally Posted by gugie
If the front wheel is rubbing the frame, it's so outta whack that it might take a framebuilder to fix it. If the rest of the components are in good shape, I'd tell your friend he should just find a new to him used frame.
Yeah, the frame bend concerns me at least as much as the dent. Had already mentioned the framebuilder possibility and that might be the happy compromise since he really doesn't want to give up the frame.
Old 08-08-23, 09:52 AM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by nlerner
As I learned from another mechanical engineer (whose initials are @gugie), “Safety third!”
I can relate. I'm trying to reform my safety fifth ways a bit, though.

https://www.dischord.com/release/ec703/safety-fifth

Old 08-08-23, 09:55 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
I can relate. I'm trying to reform my safety fifth ways a bit, though.
I needa update my game.

Old 08-08-23, 09:58 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
It sounds like your friend enjoys a challenge.

What is the make and model of the damaged?

Your friend can, if he desires, rollout much of the denting with a removable stem-matching diameter. The bend can be addressed as well with a heavy clamp a half moon block and some wood. If he really wants to bring that one back. Some would probably say that tube needs to be replaced.

Even with a higher value frame sentimentally it's probably not worth the efforts.
Old 08-08-23, 10:05 AM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
It sounds like your friend enjoys a challenge.

What is the make and model of the damaged?

Your friend can, if he desires, rollout much of the denting with a removable stem-matching diameter. The bend can be addressed as well with a heavy clamp a half moon block and some wood. If he really wants to bring that one back. Some would probably say that tube needs to be replaced.

Even with a higher value frame sentimentally it's probably not worth the efforts.
I don't think he even knows what make the frame is anymore. Been with him a long time. Dent rolling has been recommended to him. Wasn't aware of the bend fix, though. He'll probably be intrigued by that. Thanks.
Old 08-08-23, 10:17 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
This is not a dent in an otherwise straight tube, like when a handlebar comes around and dents a top tube. This tube is kinked, bent and deformed. The tube has also been gouged such that there are places where the tube wall is now thinner than it used to be. Considering that the tubing wall is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1mm thick. that strikes me as a Very Bad Thing. Your friend should not ride this frame again. Ever.

The two best options have been mentioned. The easy way is to buy another frame. The more difficult way is to have a frame builder/repairer replace the damaged (read: "destroyed") tube, which will also entail a repaint or powder coat.

It makes me sad and angry that some anus cookie destroyed a perfectly good frame solely to feed their greed and malice, but destroy it they have.
Old 08-08-23, 10:30 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Safe or Not?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-08-23, 10:41 AM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
This is not a dent in an otherwise straight tube, like when a handlebar comes around and dents a top tube. This tube is kinked, bent and deformed. The tube has also been gouged such that there are places where the tube wall is now thinner than it used to be. Considering that the tubing wall is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1mm thick. that strikes me as a Very Bad Thing. Your friend should not ride this frame again. Ever.

The two best options have been mentioned. The easy way is to buy another frame. The more difficult way is to have a frame builder/repairer replace the damaged (read: "destroyed") tube, which will also entail a repaint or powder coat.

It makes me sad and angry that some anus cookie destroyed a perfectly good frame solely to feed their greed and malice, but destroy it they have.
From what I heard the frame was bent by the would-be thief trying to pry off my friend's U-lock. Maybe not the brightest thief.

Yeah, bent and dented is a bad combo. He doesn't know it yet, but the frame ain't making a comeback. Hoping he'll try a couple possible solutions that fail and then let me find him a frame.
Old 08-08-23, 10:41 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
So, good story. And we're still in the early phase of this fiasco, where the accident is just a theoretical, if likely, future event. So we can offer suggestions and say, maybe it'll be OK.

By the time the accident is in the past, I'll give it three weeks, your friend will be upgraded to "obvious numbskull," if not by us, then by the rest of the internet. "What was he thinking" the refrain will be, and really: what is he thinking? Where's the upside?

You could do him a service and suggest he get with a good dentist and an orthopedic surgeon now, and work out a discount and payment schedule. He'll need it, and he'll have other things on his mind after the wreck, so that's a win. Thinking that through might help him make the right decision.

I'm all for stupid ideas, don't get me wrong, but this one is above and beyond.
Junk it.

cheers -mathias
Likes For steine13:
Old 08-08-23, 10:52 AM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by steine13
So, good story. And we're still in the early phase of this fiasco, where the accident is just a theoretical, if likely, future event. So we can offer suggestions and say, maybe it'll be OK.

By the time the accident is in the past, I'll give it three weeks, your friend will be upgraded to "obvious numbskull," if not by us, then by the rest of the internet. "What was he thinking" the refrain will be, and really: what is he thinking? Where's the upside?

You could do him a service and suggest he get with a good dentist and an orthopedic surgeon now, and work out a discount and payment schedule. He'll need it, and he'll have other things on his mind after the wreck, so that's a win. Thinking that through might help him make the right decision.

I'm all for stupid ideas, don't get me wrong, but this one is above and beyond.
Junk it.

cheers -mathias
Yeah, my next comment to him is to tell him to make sure he has good dental insurance before riding.
Old 08-08-23, 11:15 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
...He loves the bike and wants to hammer it back into shape and continue commuting on it. He studied as a mechanical engineer, so he's got some knowledge related to what he wants to do...
BRAVO! That's the ticket... It's just an engineering problem!

Remember it is a steel bike.
That makes it fixable.

There can be so much fun resurrecting a beloved bike. Also, there is a great deal of pride in continuing to get good service out of a bike someone tried to take away from you...
Old 08-08-23, 01:15 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Yeah, the frame bend concerns me at least as much as the dent. Had already mentioned the framebuilder possibility and that might be the happy compromise since he really doesn't want to give up the frame.
In that case it's simple. De-braze all the tubes from the lugs, dropouts, etc. Replace the old tubes and lugs with new tubes and lugs. Re-assemble. Paint.
Old 08-08-23, 01:34 PM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by Andy_K
In that case it's simple. De-braze all the tubes from the lugs, dropouts, etc. Replace the old tubes and lugs with new tubes and lugs. Re-assemble. Paint.
Yes, this is the axe we all have at home.
Old 08-09-23, 04:00 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Assuming the bike is made from gas-pipe or 4130 non heat treated steels, it may be possible to graft a new section into the down-tube. Your friend would need to locate someone skilled with a welder. The frame would remain bent until straightened.

As others have already stated, it's probably not worth the effort. I have a similar situation with an old Maruishi RX-5 frame that I used to enjoy riding around Florida. It's probably best turned into wind chimes or wall art, though, so I know the feel.
Likes For kunsunoke:
Old 08-09-23, 05:57 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
Since he is studied in mechanical engineering he is ready to perform 'percussive maintenance' on the damaged frame tube...after all what could go wrong...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 08-09-23, 11:00 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Since he is studied in mechanical engineering he is ready to perform 'percussive maintenance' on the damaged frame tube...after all what could go wrong...
Oh, I dunno, maybe the "percussive maintenance" that will be applied to his teeth, bones and/or skin? Just spitballin' here . . . .
Old 08-09-23, 12:44 PM
jingy2

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
It's fixable, but not in a "bend it back" way.
It's fixable in a replace the downtube, possibly the head tube and top tube, maybe even the fork. The fork and other tubes aren't pictured, so we don't know their condition.
The cost of repair and repainting would most likely far exceed the value of the frame, but sometimes love makes us do crazy things!
Even if he is willing to pay what it would cost, he may not end up with the same bike. Different tube thicknesses, butt lengths and even material may change the feel of the ride. The more tubes that are replaced, the higher the likelihood of something feeling different-maybe better, maybe worse.
Old 08-09-23, 01:57 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Looking at how croooked and damaged is the down tube, I wouldn't even ride it. Even the shifters bosses are rusted and crooked. Your friend shouldn't ride the bike
Likes For georges1:
Old 08-10-23, 06:33 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Oh, I dunno, maybe the "percussive maintenance" that will be applied to his teeth, bones and/or skin? Just spitballin' here . . . .
meh...not my monkey, not my circus
Old 08-10-23, 07:04 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
I did some work years ago on Mechanical Engineering curriculumand we found an overwhelming emphasis on a deep understanding of physics, mathematics and materials for design, not the practical/real-world application of these in maintenance situations. A framebuilder could repair but why? Don't let him ride that bike as it is now.
Old 08-10-23, 08:26 AM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I did some work years ago on Mechanical Engineering curriculumand we found an overwhelming emphasis on a deep understanding of physics, mathematics and materials for design, not the practical/real-world application of these in maintenance situations. A framebuilder could repair but why? Don't let him ride that bike as it is now.
Can't really stop him from doing what he wants, but I am passing on these comments to him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.