Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Cannondales

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Cannondales

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 04:51 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Old Cannondales

I'm interested in a mid 80's ST 400 Cannondale bicycle. Can anyone tell me the history of that model?
Old 08-17-23, 06:41 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
https://vintagecannondale.com/
Old 08-17-23, 06:42 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I don't know if there is a backstory to the 80s Cannondale ST 400s but I do know my 1985 Cannondale ST 400 is one of the finest bikes I have ever ridden. The catalog says "Maybe the finest all around bicycle ever made." Not exactly as it is not an all roads bike but it is a terrific, all around road bike. It is a long wheelbase bike at 42 inches with stable handling characteristics but because it is overbuilt, it also transmits energy like a good racing bike. It can take a 32c tire and the 3 water bottle braze ons are a plus.

The rack, seatpost, brake calipers, and headset are original to the bike.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-17-23 at 07:23 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-17-23, 06:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Excellent bikes. Some were 27" but an easy conversion to 700c.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-17-23, 07:00 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Somewhere on this site there's a reproduction of a Bicycling! magazine review of the ST-400. In it, they raved about the bike and said that they considered it a game-changer. Which is exactly what it turned out to be, since all the major bike manufacturers soon began introducing their own aluminum-framed models, to compete with Cannondale.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-17-23, 07:23 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Somewhere on this site there's a reproduction of a Bicycling! magazine review of the ST-400. In it, they raved about the bike and said that they considered it a game-changer. Which is exactly what it turned out to be, since all the major bike manufacturers soon began introducing their own aluminum-framed models, to compete with Cannondale.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ale-st400.html
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-17-23, 10:46 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
@ Colorado Kid
These bikes are indeed special.
There are many threads on the subject in the C&V forum, and a wealth of information.

Regarding the old ones, I have a 25" ST 600 from 1987 and there is a build thread. I mention it not because it's mine, but because in that thread, I received a lot of information and support from folks who know more than I do. Since you're interested in these bikes, it should be worth a look.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ld-thread.html

Don't be stuck on the ST400 -- there are differences in how they are equipped, including different forks in some years, but the basic frame is the same for all the STs until the 1992 (?) redo.

For touring as in "biking & camping", the STs will work but you'll want to keep the load light. The T*00 models of later years are better suited to that, but they lack the quick handling and have ugly unicrown forks. I have both and prefer to ride the ST so long as I can keep the load light, though the handling of my T400 is not sluggish, it's just a little more deliberate.

For some reason, I believe it's because of the changes in bike fit, the 25" ST models are readily available and often inexpensive. The 23-inchers aren't exactly rare but seem to sell a lot quicker. At 6' with an average build I can happily ride either size; my T400 is a 23 and it's probably the bicycle I would keep if I could only have one. It fits 36 mm (actual) tires with fenders easily. My ST was built for 27" wheels and runs 700x32 mm with little room to spare at the chain stays. With the right rear calipers, fenders should be possible.

cheers -mathias