Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How much does your local bikeshop charge to put bike together from parts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 10:30 AM
CenturionIM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wanted to build a bike myself and bought the frame, wheels and the group set. Basically I have all the parts and it's taking me a while to build it up since it's my first time. I kind of need the bike to be in ridable condition quick and am thinking about if I should just bring the parts into a shop. How much would your local shop charge to do a job like this?
Old 08-11-15, 10:33 AM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which parts are giving you the most difficulty setting up? For the most part, the derailleurs, stem, and handlebars are a 5 min operation maximum each. The crank is usually no problem, so long as you have the correct tool for the bottom bracket. Housings and cables are the most aggravating part of the process, but after everything is put together, it's mostly down to the fine tuning, which we can help with if you tell us whats giving you the issues.If you need to take it to a shop, I'd be expecting over $100 for the build.
Old 08-11-15, 10:34 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
$150
Old 08-11-15, 10:36 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine. But, if I had a bare frame & all new parts ........... I could get that done very easily in 1/2 day or, 4 hours. I could probably do it in 2 hours.
Old 08-11-15, 10:50 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Your guess is as good as mine. But, if I had a bare frame & all new parts ........... I could get that done very easily in 1/2 day or, 4 hours. I could probably do it in 2 hours.
It takes me most of a day but I'm working on my own bike and am not "on the clock". I'm a lot more painstaking than someone working on a bike that's not theirs. Then too, this would be just an assembly job with no need to overhaul the hubs and headset, etc.
Old 08-11-15, 11:55 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is is not what they charge it is also who is doing the work. Some pimpled face 15 or 16 year old who has no experence except OJT by another pimple face kid. That is not who I want build my bike. Yes I am prejudice against youth unless they have some formal training, and show some degree comitted to the job they are being paid to do.
Old 08-11-15, 12:01 PM
Jamminatrix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Labor varies significantly by shops. Also, how do you define "complete" parts? Will the shop be supplying loose ends like cables, handlebar tape, headset spacers, etc?

Perhaps the more important issue is sizing while building. If you build it, you can place the brake hoods where you want before the bars get taped, figure out stem height before cutting steerer, etc.

Originally Posted by TheManShow
Is is not what they charge it is also who is doing the work. Some pimpled face 15 or 16 year old who has no experence except OJT by another pimple face kid. That is not who I want build my bike. Yes I am prejudice against youth unless they have some formal training, and show some degree comitted to the job they are being paid to do.
I agree with you, except for one difference: A pimple-faced 16 year old with the right tools can be better than a 45-year old engineer with the wrong/no tools and first time attempt.
Old 08-11-15, 12:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Since you are not going to ship it out here to be assembled , my local costs really are not applicable.

get the cost quote from the shop that will be doing the job.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-14-15 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-11-15, 08:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,910 Times in 2,332 Posts
Our flat rate amounts are a starting point for our estimates. Sometimes the actual cost is less, sometimes more. Until we see the situation in front of us we are only guessing at any number of multiple choice possibilities. (can't count on the number of times that we find out the provided parts are the wrong spec). (In my cynical moments I wish I could say "if everything is right and fits I'll charge X amount but if not then I get 2X).

A related example is when we are asked about assembling a boxed and shipped bike. The customer usually doesn't initially volunteer the additional accessories like fenders, lighting systems or that they just got back from a 3000 mile tour and the bike has many worn out parts. When we say our usual assembly is X amount they won't want to hear that it's actually going to be 2X given what's really delivered to the shop by FedEx.

So take the bike in a bag down to the LBS and show them everything. Only then will you have a best idea of the assembly cost. Andy.
Old 08-11-15, 08:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I forgot to add that most shops don't include wheel building in their version of a bike assembly. Andy.
Old 08-11-15, 09:06 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I agree with these last few posts - the local shop needs to quote the price, but still, if I had to guess a range I'd say $150 - 300.
Old 08-12-15, 05:58 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KBentley57
Which parts are giving you the most difficulty setting up?
+1 Your post does not make much sense to me. Having not done a complete build before is irrelevant, as there is not a single thing on a new build that is different than replacing those same parts, except that it's easier. The first parts to go together are the bottom bracket and headset/fork (unless the frame came with a fork). Those are also the ones that must be done correctly and may require specialized tools. Once that is complete the hardest part is not "building" (assembly/bolt-on) but rather correct adjustment of the parts. If you don't have experience doing all the adjustments then building a bike was not the best decision.

To others reading this considering building a bike up from scratch: If you want the "satisfaction" of doing so I can tell you that it will rarely match the frustration, and as noted above, there's nothing it will teach you beyond just working on your existing bike or a new one. If you need to do a build because of specific frame needs, or because you have specific, non-group component needs, then have at it. My advice for most people is to find a bike that is the closest to your needs and then swap out what you want to change, resell the replace parts. You will be far, far ahead in time and money.
Old 08-12-15, 06:42 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CenturionIM
I wanted to build a bike myself and bought the frame, wheels and the group set. ... and am thinking about if I should just bring the parts into a shop. How much would your local shop charge to do a job like this?
Is this the Soma Saga you bought back in 2013?

Figure on at least three hours of labor. Maybe more if you've already begun the job.

Is there a shop you deal with on a regular basis? Having the work done by a shop you have a relationship with is probably a good idea that will pay off even if it costs a bit more.
Old 08-12-15, 06:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Figure on at least three hours of labor. Maybe more if you've already begun the job.
Reminds me of a sign in a local auto mechanics shop:

Labor Rates:

$40/hour
$50/hour if you watch.
$70/hour if you help.
Old 08-12-15, 07:20 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by HillRider
Reminds me of a sign in a local auto mechanics shop:

Labor Rates:

$40/hour
$50/hour if you watch.
$70/hour if you help.
LOL. Yeah. Those signs.

I wasn't trying to be snarky. It honestly is more difficult to pick up a partially done job and sort out what's been done so far and how well it's been done and whether the pile of parts is compatible, and so forth. So I'd allow extra time for a mechanic to wrap his head around the project and even redo the already-done work. Sometimes it really is necessary to redo in order to be sure of correctness.
Old 08-12-15, 07:26 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Build from frame up, with loose components supplied by customer: $125
Build from frame up, with frameset and loose components purchased through shop: free
Build boxed bike, shipped or online purchase: $75
Old 08-12-15, 07:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
LOL. Yeah. Those signs.

I wasn't trying to be snarky. It honestly is more difficult to pick up a partially done job and sort out what's been done so far and how well it's been done and whether the pile of parts is compatible, and so forth. So I'd allow extra time for a mechanic to wrap his head around the project and even redo the already-done work. Sometimes it really is necessary to redo in order to be sure of correctness.
+1. When I worked for a small Chicago frame building shop back when (Cyclery North) I had to finish a couple of frames that a prior employee (I won't call him a builder) had started. God what a hassle those two frames were. They and the handful of frame repairs taught me a lot about what I never wanted to do as a builder. They took every bit as long as a build from scratch and weren't as nice as my (low then) standards were. Andy.
Old 08-12-15, 07:53 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jamminatrix

I agree with you, except for one difference: A pimple-faced 16 year old with the right tools can be better than a 45-year old engineer with the wrong/no tools and first time attempt.

The problem with hiring people be they 15, or 30 is getting people willing to work for a check, not just wanting to get a check. Not spening their day on their cell phone, posting to facebook, or texting.

I was in a bike shop recently where they had a wonderful selection of Diadora shoes, I was waiting to talk to the owner about order some od ball parts. This pimped face who work there is doing nothing. I hand him a shoe I took of the display I was interested in, asking do you have a 45 I can try on? What is the price because there was no price on any of the shoes on display.

Finally 15 minutes later I talked to the owner, and he can not help with special order, as he need a minimum to place my order. I get in the car drive away think about the kids and the shoe I handed him with two questions.

Wondering if he still had the shoe in his hand, apprently he forgot me & my questions. Will never go back to the "LBS" to buy anything.
Old 08-12-15, 08:01 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman

To others reading this considering building a bike up from scratch: If you want the "satisfaction" of doing so I can tell you that it will rarely match the frustration, and as noted above, there's nothing it will teach you beyond just working on your existing bike or a new one.
I'm not sure I agree.

The fact that I can get the cable housing cut to the exact length and routing I want is a big plus. I rarely see a stock bike where the cable are not way too long.

Also I can make minor adjustments to the brake/shifter lever positions and handlebars before taping the bars it up.
Old 08-12-15, 07:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by TheManShow
The problem with hiring people be they 15, or 30 is getting people willing to work for a check, not just wanting to get a check. Not spening their day on their cell phone, posting to facebook, or texting.

I was in a bike shop recently where they had a wonderful selection of Diadora shoes, I was waiting to talk to the owner about order some od ball parts. This pimped face who work there is doing nothing. I hand him a shoe I took of the display I was interested in, asking do you have a 45 I can try on? What is the price because there was no price on any of the shoes on display.

Finally 15 minutes later I talked to the owner, and he can not help with special order, as he need a minimum to place my order. I get in the car drive away think about the kids and the shoe I handed him with two questions.

Wondering if he still had the shoe in his hand, apprently he forgot me & my questions. Will never go back to the "LBS" to buy anything.
Sounds like a poorly organized shop, or a shop with a really bad personal scheduling on the day you were there. As a former owner I couldn't expect my part timers to know the subtle differences between less commonly dealt with products, like shoes. But I did expect them to be able to find prices and back stock. why? Because they were part of the stocking and pricing process at times. They knew that each item had a home and a price label.

I fully believe that the problem with workers early in their paycheck worlds is much the same as with school students. The feedback loop and lead by example is often lacking at home and this lacking is reinforced by both entertainment and social media. But this is a topic for another forum. Andy.
Old 08-12-15, 07:22 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Sounds like a poorly organized shop, or a shop with a really bad personal scheduling on the day you were there. As a former owner I couldn't expect my part timers to know the subtle differences between less commonly dealt with products, like shoes. But I did expect them to be able to find prices and back stock. why? Because they were part of the stocking and pricing process at times. They knew that each item had a home and a price label.

I fully believe that the problem with workers early in their paycheck worlds is much the same as with school students. The feedback loop and lead by example is often lacking at home and this lacking is reinforced by both entertainment and social media. But this is a topic for another forum. Andy.
One of my first real jobs was working in my relatives drug store. This relative told me early on treat ever person coming throught the front door like your boss. Be nice to everyone, and cuss the bad ones, mean one under your breat after they leave. The customers purcheses things, fill prescriptions, and are the people in the neighborhood also expected me to make deliveries of prescription by bicycle.

My mothers cousin who was the drug stores owner said part of the money customers spent is profit, and my relative said that is how you get paid from profits.
Old 08-13-15, 05:56 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
I'm not sure I agree.

The fact that I can get the cable housing cut to the exact length and routing I want is a big plus. I rarely see a stock bike where the cable are not way too long.

Also I can make minor adjustments to the brake/shifter lever positions and handlebars before taping the bars it up.
I know those are just examples, but neither argues for a scratch build, as both are easily done on a stock bike without incurring the expense and inconvenience of a build. I ordered a stock bike and then changed the bars, stem. saddle and pedals, then sold the swapped out parts. Result was a customized stock bike with low time and money invested.
Old 08-13-15, 07:05 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
About 60-70$ to put a bike together.
Old 08-14-15, 07:05 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
I know those are just examples, but neither argues for a scratch build, as both are easily done on a stock bike without incurring the expense and inconvenience of a build. I ordered a stock bike and then changed the bars, stem. saddle and pedals, then sold the swapped out parts. Result was a customized stock bike with low time and money invested.
I've been pondering how to respond to the issue of building and whether it's justified. It sure helps to have an eye for detail and a temperament for thoughtful troubleshooting. Some riders don't care about building and just want to ride. Others find satisfaction in choosing and assembling their own parts. One can legitimately feel a sense of accomplishment and pride at having built up a frame. That's worth something, to some of us.

In the bigger picture it may help to look at bike mechanics as a hobby that is distinct from the sport of riding. Then the interplay between hobby and sport can multiply the enjoyment of each. The first build is intimidating, but a world of fun opens up after just a little bit of experience.

Is there money to be saved? Probably not in a one-off build. But there are savings to be had here and there once you reach a certain point. I'm pretty sure I saved by doing frame swaps each year during my son's growing years. Less expensive to buy a used frame on eBay than to buy a new complete bike each year. And then most of my bikes are built with closeout parts that I accumulate. Not sure I really save money on those builds. Maybe. Maybe not. Doesn't matter. I have fun building and enjoy what I ride.

All that said, I'm pretty cautious about recommending to others that they build or even do their own maintenance. Wrenching seems to work out best when one finds enjoyment in bike mechanics as an activity in itself.
Old 08-14-15, 09:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 1,956 Times in 1,226 Posts
I had a frame replaced under warranty. I agreed to pay $80 for the labor to swap parts over. Since the manufacturer only warranteed the frame and not the labor, and that local shop wasn't the mail-order place I'd bought the original, I agreed that was fair. Of course, it was also February and their slack season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.