Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help Please- Canyon Endurace vs Cannondale Synapse

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 10:42 AM
rogi10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Recently caught the cycling bug and want to upgrade my current hybrid bike. I am 34 and in decent enough shape so would like to have something with a bit of zip. But also am 6 foot 4 and prone to sore backs etc so have settled on the notion of an "endurance" bike for that in between comfort ride with some pace. I also live in New York City, so a bit of bumps and bad roads will be needed to be navigated, again hence the idea of going down the endurance route.

Long story short I've narrowed my selection down to either the Cannodale Synapse or the Canyon Endurace. Models I'm looking at are the endurace cf sl di2 (at 3999 uds) vs the synapse 2 RLE (at 5.5k) or the 2 LE (at 4.5k). Im not sure whats the right comparison to the endurance cf sl di2, is it the 2LE or 2 RLE ? is the extra features on the 2RLE worth the jump in price? and more broadly any thoughts on comparing it to the endurace? Potentially could use the savings on the endurace to upgrade the wheels (if need be)?

Any thoughts or help on the choice would be super appreciated, thanks so much everyone!
Old 04-11-23, 12:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
The extra features are worth the price if you want those extra features. It'll likely cost you more to add those features to a bike that doesn't come with them if in the future you should desire them. But for certain they'll be a waste of money if you don't desire them or need them.

I always just advise those that are new to cycling not to make their first few bike purchases a drain on their wallet. Buy a bike that you can easily afford to replace if after riding a year or so that you realize it really isn't the bike for you.

The Endurace might let you sit a tad more relaxed and upright. Which I'd think beneficial for riding in city traffic that is stop and go. But depending on exactly which size frame you get the Synapse might also allow that. And for sure you can probably find a Synapse to try. The Endurace you probably have to order blindly and just depend on the return policy if it doesn't quite fit you. Or are there dealers in NYC that actually stock Canyon's?
Old 04-11-23, 01:32 PM
rogi10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this. The traffic riding would be quite short just to get out to west side highway bike path or to central park or other roads outside of the city where I can take for 20-30 mile plus type rides. So vast majority of ride outside of city, and on bike paths or proper roads

Unfortunately not, no one stocks the Canyons. There aren't actually many that have the Synapse in 61 or even 58 (to get a sense) so I'm flying a bit blind on both and relying on the research/reading I've been doing. And now running into some analysis paralysis on what to settle on. Ideally happy to pay up a bit, so I don't feel like i need to upgrade again in the foreseeable future (could do parts etc),without going overboard. Of course its all relative, and thats the hard bit. thanks again
Old 04-11-23, 01:50 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Being as you've "just" been bitten by the bug I'd suspect you've never had a bike fit.
It was the best $300 I've ever spent on cycling.

I was returning to cycling after several decades away from the bike.
I was so sure I knew what size I needed that, I did the following

Purchased a used 61cm
Had bike fit & found out it was too big
Purchased a used 58cm
Had a bike fit tune up.
Purchased a new 58cm

I'm glad I didn't start with a new bike!

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 04-11-23 at 02:01 PM.
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-11-23, 03:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
I own a Canyon Endurace and I love it, butsince this would be your FIRST road bike, AND because you're outside the norm at 6'4", I would discourage you from buying one. When I bought mine, I already had 10s of thousands of miles under my belt, and three bikes with fit very well for measurement and comparison. I have worked on my own bikes for years. Both of those things meant I could readily determine which size would fit me, AND I could feel confident in my ability to put it together when it arrived. Canyon's model works pretty well for more experienced cyclists, especially those within the normal range of size.

Others have suggested a bike fit, but my take on that is that until you've ridden a road bike for a few hundred miles at least, your form is not settled.

SO, my suggestion is to get a bike you can ride. That is, a bike that's available for you to ride before purchase. Work with a shop to get the size that should work, have them set it up, and just ride. As your mileage increases, take note of pain/soreness/numbness issues and after a while take the bike in for a more complete fit, with your list of issues.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-12-23, 03:35 AM
andydallas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm new, I have a Canyon Endurace and LOVE IT, i bought al alum cheaper version since it was my first new bike, I only wish I would have bought the Endurace I wanted, now I have to upgrade.

I have a used Giant Propel, no way I am riding that when the Endurace is here, it is a LOT more relaxed
Old 04-12-23, 02:08 PM
rogi10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks all much appreciated and taking it all in.

Will definitely get a proper fitting at some point. Would love to get over the line on the Canyon Endurace as it seems to have many fans going for it and definitely for price point has "great value". Unfortunately a little apprehensive about the sizing, could always order it and try and return it but a bit of a hassle. Unfortunately Im not sold on the only colour they have available , the frozen yellow. Nothing wrong with it at all, just dont love it as silly as that sounds, i do want to enjoy/like the aesthetics of the bike if I'm going to fork this money out (as a secondary consideration but still one).

I have thrown in a new option to the mix (Giant advanced pro 2 di2) as I've been able to get my size in store so I can at least try i out without committing to buying it. Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on that one? Reviews look promising.

Trying to find the cannodale synapse 2 LE in store to try out as well. It seems again there are some great reviews, my main hesitancy is the extra smart sensors that give it the added weight without much benefit it seems. Seems a bit of a waste and on the whole seems slightly heavier to peers? Although Im not sure if thats enough of a reason to rule out , again, has many fans so must be doing something well.
Old 04-12-23, 02:15 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by rogi10
Will definitely get a proper fitting at some point.
Nothing upsets a fitter more, than having to break the news that your nice new bike is the wrong size.

If you get fit (do bring your existing bike), the fitter can help you review the bikes & sizes you have in mind.
Just bring a print of the geometry tables for each bike you have in mind.

Barry
Old 04-12-23, 03:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Great, thanks all much appreciated and taking it all in.

Will definitely get a proper fitting at some point. Would love to get over the line on the Canyon Endurace as it seems to have many fans going for it and definitely for price point has "great value". Unfortunately a little apprehensive about the sizing, could always order it and try and return it but a bit of a hassle. Unfortunately Im not sold on the only colour they have available , the frozen yellow. Nothing wrong with it at all, just dont love it as silly as that sounds, i do want to enjoy/like the aesthetics of the bike if I'm going to fork this money out (as a secondary consideration but still one).
I know. It looks like Hollandaise Sauce.

I was lucky. When I got mine, the available color was matte electric blue.

Old 04-13-23, 05:39 AM
rogi10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I mean each to their own, I know some people really love the colour. Just not for me, and not my primary driver in any case but still when you're spending this much money I do feel you want to enjoy the way it looks as well.
Old 04-18-23, 10:14 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Having a Topstone 2L, I’ll say I’m not super blown away by Smartsense. The battery can be annoying as it drains fairly quickly when mounted, even if your not using the lights. Charging is also slow. Usually, I keep the battery in my saddle bag on the off chance a ride goes into the night. It feels silly, but otherwise you’re losing a fair bit of charge.

I recently got a nice set of lights for free and plan to put those onto the bike, replacing Smartsense. Maybe I’ll hang onto it since Cannondale is leaning into the tech, but I’m in the “fewer batteries” camp for bike equipment.
Old 04-19-23, 08:36 AM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Strong vote for the Canyon - I've got a 2018 SLX with Red eTap and haven't had a moment of regret. I bought it thinking I'd be replacing the cockpit and wheels - haven't - love the whole bike. Had a Roubaix before that. Canyon's a tad more aggressive but totally still in love with it. Do your homework on fit, consider stack/reach (big deal for me as I've got C5-6-7 fused vertebrae).
Old 04-19-23, 04:08 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Some good advice here.
The main downside to Canyon's whole business model is the inability to try it on first. Unless you've been riding for years and know exactly what works in terms of geometry and fit, this is a gamble.

If I were you, I'd find some other comparable bikes at local shops (Synapse, Roubaix) and try them on for size. That way you'll at least have a basis of comparison and can look at geometry differences side-by-side and have a better idea of which frame size will work.

Getting a bike fit in advance of the purchase is a great idea.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-20-23, 05:39 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
The endurace's handlebars/cockpit can't be raised. They can be lowered, but if currently riding a more upright hybrid the set-up may not be comfortable for you.
Old 04-20-23, 07:35 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
In addition to not being able to be raised or lowered, Canyon won't let you order the bike with the proper stem. SO, your option is order the wrong one and then buy the correct one later from them although there are one or two non-proprietary diameters that would work. And, I would argue the endurace is pretty aggressive for newish rider with seat tube angle, stack and reach although great if you know what you want
Old 04-20-23, 10:09 AM
andydallas

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
The endurace's handlebars/cockpit can't be raised. They can be lowered, but if currently riding a more upright hybrid the set-up may not be comfortable for you.
remember I'm a newby, but I simply turned the stem over to have a 6 degree up instead of 6 degree down angle, raised my handlebars about 1-1.5". I"m sure people will think this is not the right way to do it, but honestly it helpled a LOT,

I have a medium alum endurace, but ordered from the outlet sale a CF SL 8 in small (which sounds like it is what I should have gotten), I should have it tomorrow and will report what fits a 5'10" inseam 30" man better
Old 04-20-23, 10:35 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
As a newbie buying a bike, with potentially the need to subsequently be making fit modifications, I would not be buying mail order. Canyon is mail order only, they do not sell from brick and mortar stores. As result, changing things like h-bar (is the supplied width OK ?), stem rise and length, etc.... is better done at a shop that sells you the bike. Since you are NYC located, I would be heading to the REI Soho store. The website says they have some XL Topstones in stock and that would be a great NYC bike. Allows a wider tire than a Synapse, useful for crappy NY streets.
Old 04-20-23, 07:22 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by andydallas
remember I'm a newby, but I simply turned the stem over to have a 6 degree up instead of 6 degree down angle, raised my handlebars about 1-1.5". I"m sure people will think this is not the right way to do it, but honestly it helpled a LOT,

I have a medium alum endurace, but ordered from the outlet sale a CF SL 8 in small (which sounds like it is what I should have gotten), I should have it tomorrow and will report what fits a 5'10" inseam 30" man better
Often mistaken but never in doubt...I didn't know different versions of Endurace have different cockpits.
Old 04-21-23, 05:43 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Often mistaken but never in doubt...I didn't know different versions of Endurace have different cockpits.
They certainly do. Higher-end models have integrated carbon bars/stem (so obviously stem length is critical on those). I actually love the shape and feel of the integrated bar on my Endurace SL, but the stock stem length is fine for me. They come with plenty of stack spacers, so you can lower the bar about 30 mm if required.
Old 04-21-23, 05:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts

I have thrown in a new option to the mix (Giant advanced pro 2 di2) as I've been able to get my size in store so I can at least try i out without committing to buying it. Not sure if anyone has any thoughts on that one? Reviews look promising.
I presume you mean the Giant Defy above. I have both a Defy Advanced Pro and an Endurace SL. They are both great bikes and have almost identical fit (reach/stack) in my size (L).
Overall I prefer the Canyon as I think it looks a little better (subjective) and I prefer the cockpit - although my 2019 Defy has much cheaper alloy bars. The component spec of my Canyon is higher too (both wheels and groupset) so that sways my preference a fair bit too. One thing I prefer with the Giant is the longer wheelbase and slightly slacker head angle. It's just that little bit more stable on fast descents, but otherwise they feel much the same to ride. Given an equal component spec, there would be nothing in it between these 2 bikes.
Old 04-21-23, 06:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Some good advice here.
The main downside to Canyon's whole business model is the inability to try it on first. Unless you've been riding for years and know exactly what works in terms of geometry and fit, this is a gamble.

If I were you, I'd find some other comparable bikes at local shops (Synapse, Roubaix) and try them on for size. That way you'll at least have a basis of comparison and can look at geometry differences side-by-side and have a better idea of which frame size will work.

Getting a bike fit in advance of the purchase is a great idea.
Though as a counter-argument, Canyon supposedly allows you 30 days in which you can return the bike if it's not working out. I'm sure it's a pain to go thru the return process, but maybe not too big of a gamble. That's something you can't likely get from the LBS.
Old 04-21-23, 04:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Splitting the difference in those costs, used to be a Canyon SL8 "Aero" model which I had my eye on.. came with some better wheels plus a power meter. Too bad this seems to be missing from their lineup now.
Old 04-22-23, 12:52 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I like the Canyon bikes but I much prefer buying a bike from a local shop. Any warranty problems I can take the bike to the shop and not have to crate it and ship it to Canyon. The trade-off is not worth it to me and I like to support small local business people as much as possible and keep the money circulating in the local community.
Old 04-26-23, 11:54 AM
andydallas

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I now have the Endurance AL 7 which has a 'regular' stem, so you can make adjustments by changing the stem, but I just bought the CF SL 8, which has a one piece cockpit, which is pretty much you have what you have unless you want to lower the the cockpic

I am glad i bought the CF in a Small, instead of the medium I got in the AL, the Canyon website said I would use a Small, but for some reason when I ordered the AL I was thinking of Giant sizing, which I prefer in a medium....but with the stem I can adjust to make it work

Last edited by andydallas; 04-26-23 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-26-23, 12:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
They certainly do. Higher-end models have integrated carbon bars/stem (so obviously stem length is critical on those). I actually love the shape and feel of the integrated bar on my Endurace SL, but the stock stem length is fine for me. They come with plenty of stack spacers, so you can lower the bar about 30 mm if required.
My SL 7 Disk had something like 35mm of spacers as shipped. After my first ride, I lowered the stem 25mm, and eventually had the leftover steerer cut off. I just checked and Canyon states the possible spacer stack under "Geometry/Component Geometry/Spacer in mm".