Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Keeping Varia TL515 Synced

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 04:38 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts

I use a Varia 515 with a Karoo 2 and it’s been paired for over a year. It, light and radar, comes on when I start a ride on my K2 and off when I stop the ride. So, I bought one foer my wife to use with her Garmin 830 and it pairs ok and works for maybe three rides tops before I have to reset the unit and pair again. Like today, it’s been working fine for a few rides, blue standby light is on, she starts her Garmin and nothing. Meanwhile, mine has worked flawlessly with my brand X unit for over a year.

For the life of me, I have no idea why her 830 and her Varia don’t want to play well together. Anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Old 05-29-23, 04:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
what i'd give a try is unpairing everything, then start fresh with a reset to the headunit, then pair the TL515, then pair everything else after that.
Old 05-29-23, 07:41 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Troul
what i'd give a try is unpairing everything, then start fresh with a reset to the headunit, then pair the TL515, then pair everything else after that.
That’s a thought. In fact, she probably has a sensor or two left from an old bike. I’ll give that a try.

Old 05-29-23, 07:43 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
if she uses the Garmin without the radar thats what's happening. Garmin does not like lights t one not connected. I found you need to make sure it always has them on a regular basis. or go into settings and turn off the radar. plus make sure you power off the Garmin each tine and not just put it to sleep.
Old 05-30-23, 01:13 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I removed all of the sensors on my wife's 830 and dis-enabled the lights. You can't delete them, only disable them. I re-paired which was immediate. A quick test showed everything working great. Light and radar started when ride started and went off when ride recording stopped. We went to a local ride and the 830/radar combo worked fine.

I'll keep an eye on it but i think the unit was treating the light as a separate sensor. Now, the radar sensor shows including the light controls and there is no sensor for the light. I'm thinking 'success' at this point.

Old 05-30-23, 01:46 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I removed all of the sensors on my wife's 830 and dis-enabled the lights. You can't delete them, only disable them. I re-paired which was immediate. A quick test showed everything working great. Light and radar started when ride started and went off when ride recording stopped. We went to a local ride and the 830/radar combo worked fine.

I'll keep an eye on it but i think the unit was treating the light as a separate sensor. Now, the radar sensor shows including the light controls and there is no sensor for the light. I'm thinking 'success' at this point.
Lights and ANT+ cause the most issues I have found. they really need to always be together. I have had several lights and they are all the same when it comes to not having them connected at all times. not sure ifs more of a garmin thing or in general. I think its because the lights are a two way communication that causes it.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 06-01-23, 09:08 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

It’s worked properly a couple rides in a row so I’m starting to get optimistic.

Likes For Trsnrtr: