Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mega cyclist on Blue Zones and longevity

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mega cyclist on Blue Zones and longevity

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 10:35 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
If you do not engage in unhealthy living habits you may live to an old age. But living long is primarily a matter of luck. You are not in control of you genetic makeup, probably the most important factor in living long. There are plenty of people who eat well, get exercise, and are stress free who do not live to very old age. And, by the way, If you die in the end, I'm not sure a few more years of life matter.
Old 09-04-23, 12:44 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
If you do not engage in unhealthy living habits you may live to an old age. But living long is primarily a matter of luck. You are not in control of you genetic makeup, probably the most important factor in living long. There are plenty of people who eat well, get exercise, and are stress free who do not live to very old age. And, by the way, If you die in the end, I'm not sure a few more years of life matter.
Luck and random chance always play a role, but, as Louis Pasteur said, "Chance favors only the prepared mind." You can make your own luck, to some extent.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-04-23, 03:07 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Luck and random chance always play a role, but, as Louis Pasteur said, "Chance favors only the prepared mind." You can make your own luck, to some extent.
I agree. You can put yourself in the way of good luck by adopting a healthy lifestyle, but that's about all you can do. Genetics plays a big role in health and longevity. Besides, a healthy lifestyle brings its only daily rewards, such as feeling pretty good.
Likes For jackb:
Old 09-04-23, 05:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
And avoiding "substance" abuse/use.
Damn. You mean I have to give up my fentinol and heroin habit? Sure kills the pain on long hill climbs.

“Why you think they call it dope?”

Old 09-04-23, 07:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Actually the genetic scientists say that our genetics only play a relatively small part in our longevity - something like 20%. The other 80% is down to our lifestyle and environment.

Interestingly, for those of us who are fortunate to make it beyond the age of around 85, genetics does then apparently start to play a more dominant role in our longevity - ramping up to something like 50%. I guess that makes sense because we would probably be already dead by then if we had a poor lifestyle.

Last edited by PeteHski; 09-04-23 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-05-23, 05:33 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Hermes
I am a follower of Sinclair, like his theory and his research in animals looks promising. Ethically, that is all one can say and he points the same thing out over and over. We are years/decades away from fixing an optic nerve in a human. And his theory, although I like it a lot, is a theory and may be true or lead research in other directions.

I tried MNM and it was BS for me and gave me constipation. And I talked with my cardiologist (who read his book), who uses food as well as exercise as part of her prescriptive arsenal when treating the heart, told me point blank do not use metformin. She said that although metformin may, may work for some people, it will not be good for me since I am an athlete. She was concerned of dropping my blood sugar too low.

As far as calorie restriction, it has been proven to increase the lifespan of rats. We are extremely complicated. Just look at Sinclair. He is skinny with no muscle mass. I believe he walks and does the things that he wants to do and the diet, so far is working for him and his father. I tried intermittent fasting and I lost weight and I rode pretty well. However, it seems that it crashed my hematocrit to a figure appropriate for a female and I got sick (not covid)

So three of Sinclair's ideas did not work for me. I need a lot of food to power my engine and repair muscle damage and etc from riding the bike and working out in the gym.

Having said that, he is the real deal and I would encourage others to follow him and read his book.
I took his book as a layman’s road map of what is to come in the science of aging and major disease prevention and how it will fundamentally impact society. I find it very interesting and I’m fairly optimistic for my kids, at least in terms of the science. The politics not so much!

I don’t take NMN or Metformin and I don’t do any fasting. I do take regular exercise (well above the minimum recommended amounts, which are actually pretty minimal) and I do eat a lot of plant-based food. But I’m not Vegetarian or Vegan. When I get older (still in my mid 50s today) I may well consider trying NMN or whatever more advanced NAD boosters are available by then. At the moment I hope the exercise and good nutrition is keeping my levels from falling. I don’t feel like my energy levels are falling yet.

The only supplement I take is Vit D because we don’t get a lot of sun here in the winter. I have also just signed up for the ZOE Nutrition Program, which I’m quite excited about. I’m hoping that will provide some insight into what is actually going on inside my gut.

So really I’m just focusing on exercise, nutrition and health monitoring. I think Sinclair’s prediction that real time detailed personal health monitoring will soon become mainstream is getting pretty close to reality. That alone should prevent many premature deaths.
Old 09-05-23, 06:16 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The thing about centererians from blue zone areas is that none of them do anything special and try to live to 100 years old. They just go about living a normal daily life eating a normal diet and they don't obsess themselves about performance, FTP, calorie counting, supplements and rigid structured diet and training plans...Meanwhile over here in western countries people are obsesssed with finding a secret to longetivity or some magical diet plan which doesn't even exist.
I think you nailed it. While diet and exercise have been drummed into us here in the States we still are a mess in so many ways. The love to work mentality, crazy portion sized bad food, overweight, over prescribed, less physical interaction with each other and on and on. My grandparents were from Greece and still have family over there. While no means perfect their approach to life seems a little more sane. They do enjoy life’s simple pleasures and live at a pace that’s a bit more healthy I think. While we have much to be proud of here, sometimes I think it comes at a very high price. YMMV, just my opinion.

Last edited by Jtmav; 09-05-23 at 08:26 AM.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 09-09-23, 03:19 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Actually the genetic scientists say that our genetics only play a relatively small part in our longevity - something like 20%. The other 80% is down to our lifestyle and environment.

Interestingly, for those of us who are fortunate to make it beyond the age of around 85, genetics does then apparently start to play a more dominant role in our longevity - ramping up to something like 50%. I guess that makes sense because we would probably be already dead by then if we had a poor lifestyle.
What is a "centererian"? I can see it being a mis-spelling of "centenarian" (= person who reached 100 years old) but how can EVERYBODY be making the same spelling error?
Old 09-09-23, 06:36 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Road Fan
What is a "centererian"? I can see it being a mis-spelling of "centenarian" (= person who reached 100 years old) but how can EVERYBODY be making the same spelling error?
Why are you quoting me? I never even used the word.

Anyway, apart from Wolfchild, who else even used that word?

Last edited by PeteHski; 09-09-23 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-10-23, 07:45 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,446 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
That's a person of the 'Classic & Vintage' persuasion who obsesses over Centurion bicycles, especially those multi-colored varieties produced during the Dave Scott 'Iron Man' years (1980s?).

Old 09-10-23, 08:06 AM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
One opposing few on the Blue Zones (I live near one in Costa Rica) - it might be that these people don't know their age... I know that is true in Nicoya of Cost Rica. The articles talk about how in Nicoya they don't look like they are older than 100 - well probably they aren't. Old people can start increasing their age. (in Costa Rica, birth records were pretty sketchy back that far) I know I am always trying to remember how old I am...

That being said, one thing in Nicoya is the nearest hospital is 3 hours away. People in Nicoya assume if they have a heart attack, they are going to be dead, so I suspect they live not expecting modern medicine to fix their years of neglect.

A lot of those in Nicoya who have lived so long don't have cars or anything motorized. They walk everywhere, or ride a horse. They don't do planned exercise, they just live an active lifestyle. And they enjoy their life, which contributes greatly to living a long life.
Old 09-11-23, 05:00 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,312 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Okinawa is one of the Blue Zones. I go to Okinawa frequently to enjoy the beaches. But Okinawa is the most impoverished prefecture in Japan. It has a high percentage of smokers, people drink a lot, pork is the most popular dish, and the region has the highest salt intake in the world. Okinawa’s longevity comes from an economically-enforced moderation when it comes to food and vice, and regular physical activity. Okinawa is very much an agricultural and blue-collar economy. People don’t go to gyms, and they aren’t picky about what they eat.
Okinawa was considered a Blue Zone in 1980, but it has since lost that status because of the influx of junk foods, reduction of exercise in the general populace, and resulting fast declining longevity.

Originally Posted by crtreedude
One opposing few on the Blue Zones (I live near one in Costa Rica) - it might be that these people don't know their age... I know that is true in Nicoya of Cost Rica. The articles talk about how in Nicoya they don't look like they are older than 100 - well probably they aren't. Old people can start increasing their age. (in Costa Rica, birth records were pretty sketchy back that far) I know I am always trying to remember how old I am...
Not at all true. When the Blue Zones were first being established, Buettner and National Geographic extensively audited the ages of the proposed populations. They rejected a number of areas where birth records were considered to be questionable.