Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Making Gains after 50?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Making Gains after 50?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-23, 05:38 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
While one certainly isn't going to be able to put on more muscle as easily at 50+ than he did in his 20s, I've found ways to improve my riding at 50 so that I'm actually faster and can ride longer distances than younger me did. My focus now that I'm older is on nutrition, riding position, and strength and flexibility... all things I was pretty ignorant of when I was younger. I used to hate stretching and doing upper body exercises when I was younger, but now that I'm doing these things at 50, I'm finding my riding has improved noticeably. I can hold a low, aero position much longer without discomfort which helps increase my speed without really getting stronger. I also never thought much about what I was eating or drinking on the bike and in hindsight, that was a big mistake. I can now go for rides well in excess of 50 miles and feel just fine afterwards versus being completely wiped-out when I was younger.

In short, it's not likely your power meter numbers are going to keep climbing as you age unless you put in significantly more effort into each ride and weightlifting. However, you may still be able to improve by looking at "marginal gains" that you overlooked when you were younger.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 08-14-23, 07:18 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Non-humble brag by a 68 YO. There is a local 2.5 mile climb, rated by Strava as a category 4. On October 15th 2020, I did the climb in 11:38., today I did it in 10.50. I have been chipping away for almost 3 years to get to today’s time. Yes you can improve with age + training + rest + good nutrition.
AWESOME !!!
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-14-23, 09:32 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Age 74, yesterday was a prescribed endurance ride. Since I am preparing for a track race in September, endurance riding has been reduced. This is my 8th interval session in a row. To get in all the interval sessions, I combined a hill climbing interval set with an endurance ride. 4x40second max power. Sorry San Milan, yes, I am combining max power efforts with endurance and I know that violates your sensibilities and research.

I picked out three climbs on the course where I could do these and it was not exactly as prescribed where I do a climb, rest and then repeat the climb again. This workout is about leg strength training and high power with energy coming primarily from phosphate creatine and glycolytic systems.

I had done three intervals and I was doing the last one on Torrey Pines hill, one of the most iconic (albeit shorter and easier) climbs in San Diego. I cruised up the climb to the middle and hit the gas.

Weight - 166
Time interval 40 seconds
Average Speed 15.5 mph
87 rpm
470 watts average power
140 HR
Grade 5%

I did the same ride and workout last Sunday and I improved my 40 second power by 40 watts. This is probably the best 40 second, seated climbing power I have done over the years. Clearly, not comparing this workout with one I could have done as my younger self but still Phil Gram material although Phil holds that power a lot longer.

Is this surprising to me? No, recently I hired a performance based nutritionist and have been on his prescribed diet for about 5 weeks. It has been transformational - stronger, much better recovery and faster on the bike. And as a kid, I was a 400 meter runner. My nutritionist told me that 400 meter runners are special snowflakes - aren't we all. I have sprint power that lasts longer than most. For my engine to run longer and better, my diet requirements requirements reside in a very narrow range of protein, carbs and fat combination and timing. If I falter on the diet, my capability diminishes quickly. I have experienced this variation over the years as I have a chainless day where everything seems possible and then everything seems hard.

After yesterday's cycling, I went to the gym and did lats and biceps plus some recovery work. Today, is strength training, chest, shoulders and core. I feel great this morning but no cycling today.

My small study, N=1(me), duration 5 weeks - observation for 74 year old. New diet = faster and stronger with more recovery. We will see if this new me holds up over time.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-14-23, 11:59 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Age 74, yesterday was a prescribed endurance ride. Since I am preparing for a track race in September, endurance riding has been reduced. This is my 8th interval session in a row. To get in all the interval sessions, I combined a hill climbing interval set with an endurance ride. 4x40second max power. Sorry San Milan, yes, I am combining max power efforts with endurance and I know that violates your sensibilities and research.

I picked out three climbs on the course where I could do these and it was not exactly as prescribed where I do a climb, rest and then repeat the climb again. This workout is about leg strength training and high power with energy coming primarily from phosphate creatine and glycolytic systems.

I had done three intervals and I was doing the last one on Torrey Pines hill, one of the most iconic (albeit shorter and easier) climbs in San Diego. I cruised up the climb to the middle and hit the gas.

Weight - 166
Time interval 40 seconds
Average Speed 15.5 mph
87 rpm
470 watts average power
140 HR
Grade 5%

I did the same ride and workout last Sunday and I improved my 40 second power by 40 watts. This is probably the best 40 second, seated climbing power I have done over the years. Clearly, not comparing this workout with one I could have done as my younger self but still Phil Gram material although Phil holds that power a lot longer.

Is this surprising to me? No, recently I hired a performance based nutritionist and have been on his prescribed diet for about 5 weeks. It has been transformational - stronger, much better recovery and faster on the bike. And as a kid, I was a 400 meter runner. My nutritionist told me that 400 meter runners are special snowflakes - aren't we all. I have sprint power that lasts longer than most. For my engine to run longer and better, my diet requirements requirements reside in a very narrow range of protein, carbs and fat combination and timing. If I falter on the diet, my capability diminishes quickly. I have experienced this variation over the years as I have a chainless day where everything seems possible and then everything seems hard.

After yesterday's cycling, I went to the gym and did lats and biceps plus some recovery work. Today, is strength training, chest, shoulders and core. I feel great this morning but no cycling today.

My small study, N=1(me), duration 5 weeks - observation for 74 year old. New diet = faster and stronger with more recovery. We will see if this new me holds up over time.
What is your favorite track event?
Old 08-14-23, 12:21 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by big john
What is your favorite track event?
500 meters and team sprint are my favs. Over fast. 2k pursuit and team pursuit are fun, hard and more interesting to train for. I like them all.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-14-23, 02:47 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I didn't start riding for real until I was 48, and it took a few years just to get into shape, so yes, you can make gains after 50.

Now I'm 62 and I don't know that I will improve beyond my current or recent abilities, but like a few others here, I keep up with all but the fastest (the real racers) in my area, though I don't myself race. I ride with some the fastest groups in the Twin Cities, (but not the one fastest group) and when I do, I do a great deal of the pulling. This has been the case since my early 50s so i gained and retained this ability as an older rider. How much longer it lasts, I cannot say.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-14-23, 03:34 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes

Weight - 166
Time interval 40 seconds
Average Speed 15.5 mph
87 rpm
470 watts average power
140 HR
Grade 5%

You've motivated me to look into a nutritionist. That is awesome, you climb. I was probably a special snowflake with a longer lasting sprint, too. I guess it was from ice hockey, the coaches would hit us in the derriere with the stick if we stopped sprinting. I looked up my 40s power from my PD curve, the numerator is pretty good (628) but the denomination is bad (94 kg). I don't want to lose power going on an inappropriate diet. Is there a certain kind on nutritionist that is best? I want to lose some fat and maintain lean mass.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-14-23, 05:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
You've motivated me to look into a nutritionist. That is awesome, you climb. I was probably a special snowflake with a longer lasting sprint, too. I guess it was from ice hockey, the coaches would hit us in the derriere with the stick if we stopped sprinting. I looked up my 40s power from my PD curve, the numerator is pretty good (628) but the denomination is bad (94 kg). I don't want to lose power going on an inappropriate diet. Is there a certain kind on nutritionist that is best? I want to lose some fat and maintain lean mass.
The guy is in LA and was recommended to me by a racing friend who had a good track record of results with him over years. He is performance based so I suggest looking at local nutritionist that has elite/pro athletes that have had success.
Old 08-14-23, 08:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Hernes appears to have found the magic formula. On element I have found out of his experience is allowing for more recovery.

I would go hard most rides and would suffer without recovery. After hard days, I will take a day off and instead work on core, arms and shoulders. I also go for carbs and protein after my cycling which appears to also help.

Today I bagged a polka dot jersey on a UCI course on Zwift after being off the trainer all summer. Evidently all my hill workouts are paying off, virtually. The 98* heat drove me inside.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-16-23 at 12:08 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-21-23, 09:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Classtime
If you haven’t formally trained to ride fast, much longer. Try Fast After Fifty or The Cyclist’s Training Bible by Joe Friel.
Just downloaded Fast After Fifty. We shall see…

Old 08-27-23, 07:26 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I didn't start riding for real until I was 48, and it took a few years just to get into shape, so yes, you can make gains after 50.

Now I'm 62 and I don't know that I will improve beyond my current or recent abilities, but like a few others here, I keep up with all but the fastest (the real racers) in my area, though I don't myself race. I ride with some the fastest groups in the Twin Cities, (but not the one fastest group) and when I do, I do a great deal of the pulling. This has been the case since my early 50s so i gained and retained this ability as an older rider. How much longer it lasts, I cannot say.
Not that anyone will care, but here's an update and a non-humble brag. Saturday, I decided to give that fastest group a try, as I'm in pretty good shape at the moment and I don't know when injury or aging is going to take me down a big notch.

It was a group of about 14, and their normal Saturday ride is 70 miles, but for some reason it was 90 on this day. These guys are super strong. About half of them are Cat 1s or Cat 2s. The steady clip on flat ground is 25-28 mph. When you get over a hill, watch out because they are full gas all of the time, and they will drop you on the descent if you think you can take a quick moment to recover. I can't pull in this group, but I managed to hang on without getting dropped. At one point they sprinted for a Strava segment - half a mile, mostly flat (Strava thinks it's a 0.2% grade) with a modest tail wind. They took the KOM with an average speed of >38 mph and for that time, I couldn't hold their wheels. A couple of other times I also fell back a bit, but I was able to get back on each time.

At one point about 60 miles in, there was a call to ease up b/c somebody had fallen far off the back. I said to the guy next to me - huh, if somebody was going to get dropped, i would have thought it would be me. He said, "You're doing fine. Most of us are probably 15 years younger than you." I asked, "How old are you?" "32". I said, "well actually, it's 30 years younger...".

I was at my limit for this ride, but I survived it and I take it as a victory.

Who konws what next year will bring.
Old 08-27-23, 08:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Not that anyone will care, but here's an update and a non-humble brag. Saturday, I decided to give that fastest group a try, as I'm in pretty good shape at the moment and I don't know when injury or aging is going to take me down a big notch.

It was a group of about 14, and their normal Saturday ride is 70 miles, but for some reason it was 90 on this day. These guys are super strong. About half of them are Cat 1s or Cat 2s. The steady clip on flat ground is 25-28 mph. When you get over a hill, watch out because they are full gas all of the time, and they will drop you on the descent if you think you can take a quick moment to recover. I can't pull in this group, but I managed to hang on without getting dropped. At one point they sprinted for a Strava segment - half a mile, mostly flat (Strava thinks it's a 0.2% grade) with a modest tail wind. They took the KOM with an average speed of >38 mph and for that time, I couldn't hold their wheels. A couple of other times I also fell back a bit, but I was able to get back on each time.

At one point about 60 miles in, there was a call to ease up b/c somebody had fallen far off the back. I said to the guy next to me - huh, if somebody was going to get dropped, i would have thought it would be me. He said, "You're doing fine. Most of us are probably 15 years younger than you." I asked, "How old are you?" "32". I said, "well actually, it's 30 years younger...".

I was at my limit for this ride, but I survived it and I take it as a victory.

Who konws what next year will bring.
Awesome and inspired performance, that I couldn’t have even dreamt of in my 30s. Amazing average speeds. You must have the legs and lungs of a locomotive. Well done.

Old 10-04-23, 11:01 AM
Mike_Z

Bikes: Bianchi Sport SS, Bianchi Tangent, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn Super Le Tour, Schwinn Le Tour, IRO Fixie, Schwinn beach cruisers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
Considering I hadn't ridden seriously in almost ten years, I have improved considerably in the last few months, though at 58, the weight is not coming off as easily as it used to.
Old 10-05-23, 09:14 AM
duanedr 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts

It was a group of about 14, ....
Keep doing that ride. It will get easier. Ride with stronger folks and you'll keep making gains.