Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

phone holder or pocket?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

phone holder or pocket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 09:23 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I got in the habit of carrying the phone with me when doing years of technical solo single track. Many days I would not see a single soul while up in the woods, but was always in cell coverage. I suffered a significant shoulder injury on one outing and thought I may have broken my back but was able to ride out. Had six months of treatment to get me back. I developed the habit then. I rode another five years until my back couldn’t take the jarring without two days recovery and bagged it. Now the mtb mostly hangs in the garage but did get it out for a 50 mile gravel ride with wide knobies which was a real workout.

With all the facility of modern phones, and various apps, I carry one at all times. (My wife recently crashed on her bike and suffered a concussion and shoulder, back issues yet to be completely resolved and carries her phone.) Now have emergency numbers programmed into my phone in concert with my Garmin Connect app, which will call my wife if I am in an accident without me touching the phone. I also listen to music with an ear bud in my right ear, and stop and take pictures which I post here and on Strava. I appreciate the metrics collected on heart rate and level of effort to make sure I am getting a good work out but not overdoing it. I know that is not for everyone. My Garmin bike computer is connected to my phone during rides and I receive on the bike computer weather warnings, text messages, % grade, and the usual stuff as welll as with Varia, number of approaching cars behind me and rate of closure and an ‘all clear’ when the last has past. So tying my phone to my Garmin has taken me from having the amenities of a 73 Pinto to a 2020 electric Mustang.

I used to run with my first smart phone and it would give me my pace, split times, music, texts and ability to take and send pictures all during my run. It was mind boggling.

Old 10-07-23, 11:21 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I always wear a backpack when cycling. I keep my phone in an old Hewlett-Packard padded belt loop case inside the backpack. When walking, I hang the case from my belt. The size of the case is perfect for my Samsung A-11.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-07-23, 11:41 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
So, if you are hit by a car and end up in a deep ditch with a broken pelvis or leg, cannot move and no one can see you, how will you communicate with the outside world? Or is that an unrealistic scenario?
Eventually, someone will notice the circling vultures.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-07-23, 11:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Who said anything about fear?

Going by your logic, those that carry tubes, pumps and tools to fix other roadside emergencies must have a lot of fear.
Would you feel better if the word "concern" was used instead of "fear? Either way the scenario described (concern about becoming injured and incapacitated while riding in a remote area but only unable to get help or rescue because of a failure to carry a smartphone) while a possibility seems highly unlikely. There are a lot more practical reasons and likely scenarios to provide a rationale for those seeking or promoting a reason for carrying a phone while out and about.
Old 10-07-23, 12:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Would you feel better if the word "concern" was used instead of "fear? Either way the scenario described (concern about becoming injured and incapacitated while riding in a remote area but only unable to get help or rescue because of a failure to carry a smartphone) while a possibility seems highly unlikely. There are a lot more practical reasons and likely scenarios to provide a rationale for those seeking or promoting a reason for carrying a phone while out and about.
It might well be a unlikely scenario, but others on BF have had similar circumstances in crashes they were involved in.

And it wasn't even being discussed that one shouldn't ride a bike without a phone. The question of the thread was whether bike or pocket was preferred. So the justifications are for people that already will be carrying a phone. Not to try and convince someone they need a phone when they ride.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-07-23, 01:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mackgoo
I don't take my phone.
So, if you are hit by a car and end up in a deep ditch with a broken pelvis or leg, cannot move and no one can see you, how will you communicate with the outside world? Or is that an unrealistic scenario?
And it wasn't even being discussed that one shouldn't ride a bike without a phone. The question of the thread was whether bike or pocket was preferred. So the justifications are for people that already will be carrying a phone. Not to try and convince someone they need a phone when they ride.
Really, is that how you interpret rsbob's response to mackgoo?
Old 10-07-23, 01:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Despite what MUPpets might think, something similar happened to a now deceased friend. He was riding alone in CA. Somehow, he crashed, went over the guardrail and slid down an embankment. (The bike showed no damage from a vehicle hit.) He was not visible to passing motorists. Neither was his bike. Once he regained consciousness, he dragged himself back up to the road. A passing motorist rendered aid. Don’t know if he had a phone with him or if he had cellular service.

Years later, he died in a cycling accident. Went off course while warming up for a CX race and hit a tree head on.

Shame some people come here solely to argue and judge. Unfortunate mindset.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-07-23 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-07-23, 04:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Really, is that how you interpret rsbob's response to mackgoo?
I interpret the response of rsbob to be very reasonable and not judgmental. Your initial post seemed very disparaging of those that take phones with them and also very judgmental. It contained no statement of facts or reasons why you prefer to do one thing or the other. Your only purpose seemed to be to criticize.

People who consider that a realistic scenario to fear, should protect themselves and never venture out of the range of cell phone coverage. Perhaps an audio warning app can be installed on their phone to warn them that they are entering the forbidden "dangerous zone" of no cell phone coverage, just like an electronic fence keeps a pet dog from venturing beyond the master's property line.

Another solution for those who fear being crippled and out of touch would be to never ride alone.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-08-23, 04:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Maybe straying a bit from the topic, but we seem to be away from there already so... It just might be as or more important to let someone know where you are riding and when they should worry if you don't come back. This is especially true for off road riding.
Old 10-08-23, 07:42 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I interpret the response of rsbob to be very reasonable and not judgmental. Your initial post seemed very disparaging of those that take phones with them and also very judgmental. It contained no statement of facts or reasons why you prefer to do one thing or the other. Your only purpose seemed to be to criticize.
My initial post made zero disparaging comments about people who carry phones, you apparently misread it. My comment referenced a poster's concern over an imagined scenario of being incapacitated in a remote area (or out of sight of the public) and without a means of communication for rescue as a reason for carrying a phone on a bike. The poster asked if his imagined scenario was realistic. As noted by a few others anything is possible, to including fatal collisions with trees. I made suggestions about what to do for anyone who considered the imagined scenario a realistic concern. Some cyclists might have a different outlook about the realism of the imagined scenario if their cycling activity is likely to result in collisions with trees, riding over embankments, or being incapacitated in remote areas, though I doubt that an incapacitated cyclist's phone will be the lifesaver imagined, though it is possible.

Another suggestion for those concerned about such events would be to modify their bicycling activity if possible to reduce the risk of a crippling event occurring especially while alone in remote areas, rather than depend on making a phone call for a rescue after the event.
Old 10-08-23, 05:33 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I don't have a cell phone. People tell me I should get one. Meh.
Old 10-08-23, 07:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Pictures taken on today’s ride.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-08-23, 09:08 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
I wear regular shorts over my cycling shorts. The phone is in a pouch on the belt.

Unless I'm mountain biking, as I once fell over on the phone side and bent the phone at a noticeable angle (didn't break, fortunately). So when I'm offroad the phone is in a small padded pouch in a small rear bag on the bike. Which of course is a cue for clients and others to send urgent calls and texts when I can't hear or see it.
Old 10-08-23, 11:47 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I’ve been using the road runner burrito bar bag made in the US for one year and couldn’t be happier. Enough room for my phone, keys, money and snack.
Old 10-09-23, 07:07 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
REI top tube bag. I used to use a rear seat bag, but that was replaced with a flat kit and the top tube bag is more convenient.

Old 10-09-23, 08:53 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Warbird21
REI top tube bag. I used to use a rear seat bag, but that was replaced with a flat kit and the top tube bag is more convenient.

I have and like that bag, but fear it would shake my phone to pieces, so I don't carry a phone or other electronics there. I ride a MTB on rough surfaces though.
Old 10-09-23, 09:15 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I carry my cell in a flat side pouch at my waist. Cell phone, Wallet, Puffer, Hylands, that's it.

I have seen some pretty fancy cell phone mounts and other attachments. Very useful but in some ways I remind myself that I ride to get away from those things.

Still, I am one of those guys who can admire a nice instrument panel for sure. Here is a pic of a Rally Motorcycle instrument panel. Nice but wheres the Cell Phone?

Hero-RR-450-Rally
Old 10-11-23, 05:08 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have and like that bag, but fear it would shake my phone to pieces, so I don't carry a phone or other electronics there. I ride a MTB on rough surfaces though.
I think any bag would expose a phone to the same amount of vibration. Older phones used to crap out from being hard mounted on motorcycles,etc. But,I don't think a modern phone has the same issues. I rode a hard-trail mountain bike in Western MD for years with no issues (other than where I was at, perhaps no cell reception!).
Old 10-11-23, 05:37 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Warbird21
I think any bag would expose a phone to the same amount of vibration.
I think it can depend on where it is on the bike and how it is mounted. That said, I figure that carrying it snugly on my body subjects it to much less abuse.

Older phones used to crap out from being hard mounted on motorcycles,etc. But,I don't think a modern phone has the same issues. I rode a hard-trail mountain bike in Western MD for years with no issues (other than where I was at, perhaps no cell reception!).
By some standards my phone probably isn't a "modern phone". Mine are usually falling apart by the time I replace them. I don't blame the time spent riding so much and time in my pocket and number of times it gets dropped or otherwise banged up. I am about due for a new one since this one doesn't support my banks latest software, isn't waterproof, and the back keeps coming loose. The new one will be of a newer hopefully tougher generation.
Old 10-11-23, 05:47 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I keep it in my under saddle bag.

John
Old 10-17-23, 03:41 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I use a quadlock with my phone. I have a bike computer that I use for routes and every ride. The batter life is just a lot better on bike computer vs phone.
The quadlock phone combo comes in handy when you want to make a quick detour. Find a bathroom; someone in your group dropped a pin drop where they at with a flat tire, etc...