Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Having a Home Gym vs joining a Fitness Club

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Having a Home Gym vs joining a Fitness Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-23, 09:16 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Ah, you need to move to a 15-minute City. I heard about this movement on the NPR.

For me, doing the gym thing is tough. My inner voice says: Why spend time in a gym when I could be riding my bike?
I live in a 15-minute city, also know as a small town that was established before the automobile came to dominate. The YMCA is a 5 minute walk away. I still haven't gone. In fact, I haven't done a damn thing except ride my bike since this thread was started. But with winter coming, maybe I'll do more virtual Supernatural workouts with my Oculus VR headset.
Old 10-17-23, 10:22 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
For me, doing the gym thing is tough. My inner voice says: Why spend time in a gym when I could be riding my bike?
Perhaps you could have your inner voice listen to this discussion from Inside Exercise on the importance of resistance training and then the two of you could talk it over?

Obviously, we tend to do what we enjoy more consistently than things we don’t enjoy, but it’s worth considering. Most of the year I’m doing cardio outside so I do strength training at home with dumbbells and floor work. But in winter when I’d rather do cardio somewhere warm, I go to our rec center for weights and then run on the indoor track. That way it’s one (half mile) drive to do both.

Otto
Old 10-17-23, 03:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Why spend time in a gym when I could be riding my bike?
Riding a bike is for aerobic fitness, endurance and health, lifting weights is for strength and muscle preservation. Two different things here. You don't really need a gym membership,. Just buy your own weights and train at home.
Old 10-23-23, 07:06 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 64, soon to be 65 and have been going to the gym daily for about 2 1/2 years. I'm 6', 150 lbs and feel comfortable at this weight. I often bike to and from the gym, which is only about 5 miles away, so easy ride. I much prefer the motivational aspects of going somewhere else to work out. It is too easy for me to blow off if it is sitting there at home. YMMV. I feel inspired by other people working out, and the scenery isn't too bad either.
Old 10-24-23, 07:33 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Last night I wanted to run but chose to go to the rec center so I could run on a nice, smooth, well-lit track.

I did some work on the weight machines before running. I haven’t been there for several months and have been using dumbbells and floor work at home instead.

Turns out that I was able to do at least the same weights I was doing before, so no loss over that time just using the dumbbells that I could detect.

Otto
Old 10-29-23, 08:37 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Currently two weeks away from my 70th birthday. I spent most of my adult life trucking over the road with all the challenges that brings to keeping any level of fitness. I had a gym membership that allowed me to drop in at affiliate gyms on the road, but it was tough to do that with any regularity. I also carried a bike in the truck and would get some riding in whenever scheduling and weather permitted, but again, there was no regularity with this.
When I retired in 2015, I made a concerted effort to develop some kind of regimen and made it a point to get to the gym at least three times a week.
When Covid hit, I decided to go shopping for a decent home gym unit. I found a really good high end multi gym that a rehab clinic operator was selling. He had bought it for the use of his clients, but after two or three years of having it take up floor space with nobody actually using it, he decided to sell it. So I got a smoking deal on it.
It now shares space with my wheel building shop and my wife and I use it regularly.
The mini stair climber is the one I used to carry with me on the road.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-29-23, 10:55 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Feel like I have what I need for these old bones.

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-29-23, 01:50 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot321
I feel inspired by other people working out, and the scenery isn't too bad either.
Side story - my gym had the cardio equipment on the 2nd floor and some of them looked out over the swimming pool. Once while I was on the elliptical machine, I was admiring the physique of a guy who was swimming laps - I thought "that guy looks kind of my age and size, but he is very low body fat and great definition to his muscles - I'd like to look like him". Then he got out of the pool and I saw he had only one leg. Inspirational.

The good-looking women were everywhere too.
Old 10-30-23, 07:41 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I just finished a cruise. So I got to see a different set of people exercising than the people at my gym.

It's interesting to see how people don't use some machines correctly. Like that level at the floor of the chest press machine is for your feet to help you get your arms into position before you press. But I saw a guy pressing using both his arms and legs.

And then there is the steep incline at the treadmill while holding on to the display.
Old 10-31-23, 06:21 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Feel like I have what I need for these old bones.
Hey, another WaterRower owner! My workout room isn't as large as yours and is also cluttered with leftover furniture but I do manage to fit a Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE along with the WaterRower and my back-up bike on a Tacx Neo 2T trainer.
Old 10-31-23, 08:40 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by TennBent
Hey, another WaterRower owner! My workout room isn't as large as yours and is also cluttered with leftover furniture but I do manage to fit a Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE along with the WaterRower and my back-up bike on a Tacx Neo 2T trainer.
The panorama photo from my phone makes the room look bigger than it is, but it's a good size.

We've had the WaterRower for roughly 20 years. Love that thing. There is enough space in the room to lay it out between the two bikes with room to walk between it all.
Old 10-31-23, 10:07 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TennBent
I have a WaterRower too. Just wish it had more up-to-date electronics for online training. I've looked in the past and will look again, maybe they've added a module to I can hook up to my unit.
Old 10-31-23, 10:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
And then there is the steep incline at the treadmill while holding on to the display.
I think the reason for holding on to something isn't necessarily to help hold the user up, having seen a rehab patient let go of the bars and then falling off the back of the treadmill. You've never seen so many nurses move so fast (unless you've seen a code in the hospital)!

It's something like the tension between: do you run your hand along the handrail on stairs, because after all, falls, broken hips, and their consequences are one of the biggest causes of death for people over 50? Or do you avoid touching the handrails in a stairwell, because it's one of the best ways to transmit norovirus (with it's subsequent effects on the elderly)? And of course, weightlifting involving large muscles, like climbing stairs, is one of the best exercises to prolong health into old age, so you don't want to take the elevator.
Old 10-31-23, 10:19 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Because not all of us live where the weather is nice most of the year.

I join the gym during the winter months...roughly November through April. And it's for a few reasons..
  • When it's too cold outside to ride (we get 20-30 below wind chills where I live) having the gym is a nice option
  • When there is snowstorm (we get quite a few during the season ) and I can't ride our groomed fatbike trails or anywhere else for that matter.
  • Rain/Snow mix...to the gym I go.
  • Gym has a sauna and hot tub...wonderful feature
  • Gym has many machines for cross training different muscle groups...Not really something I can get at home with a few weights.

Last edited by prj71; 10-31-23 at 02:26 PM.
Likes For prj71:
Old 10-31-23, 10:39 AM
TennBent

Originally Posted by Terex
I have a WaterRower too. Just wish it had more up-to-date electronics for online training. I've looked in the past and will look again, maybe they've added a module to I can hook up to my unit.
They have all that. It just depends on the level you desire. Here is the link: https://www.waterrower.com/us/digital
Old 10-31-23, 10:48 AM
TennBent

Originally Posted by Mojo31
The panorama photo from my phone makes the room look bigger than it is, but it's a good size.

We've had the WaterRower for roughly 20 years. Love that thing. There is enough space in the room to lay it out between the two bikes with room to walk between it all.

I have had mine for about 8 years now. I don't use it as much as I did the first couple of years but I still use it as a warm-up for my Bowflex workouts. It lays down right behind my bike.

Likes For TennBent:
Old 10-31-23, 11:53 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Terex
WATERROWER: SmartRow
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-07-23, 05:40 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I was a gym rat in my younger days. But time to go to a gym after/before work is fleeting.
I picked up this Nordic Track elliptical machine for $75 on facebook, it had a squeaky that some grease on the arm fixed.
The Marcy home gym was free also from Facebook (I had to disassembly/reassemble).
Both compliment my Zwift Hub and at 62,are plenty to do.

Old 11-07-23, 05:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Home gym for me all the way, for decades. Workout is first thing in the morning and one shower. I'm done before my world has time to pitch me something that might derail it.
Old 11-17-23, 02:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I have been working out in a gym and/or at home for about 35 years, as well as cycling regularly throughout that time too.

When Rowan had the accident in 2018, I stopped going to the university gym, and instead, rounded out what we had at home. When the pandemic came and everything shut down, we were all set!!

Now I do a combination of things.
I walk as part of my commute and at lunch.
I climb stairs at work. When I get going at that, I usually climb about 20-25 flights of 20 stairs, up and down and including landings 5 days a week.
I do a lot of landscaping in our garden on weekends. I spent 3 hours today wielding a mattock digging up beds for veggies.
And we cycle.

Sometimes I add in running, rowing, pilates and weight lifting.
Old 11-22-23, 05:20 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Not sure if Pilates counts; staring at the ceiling architecture is mildly interesting, But I'd rather not do it balancing on my elbows and heels, thank you!