Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Clip or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23, 06:06 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtmav
commented that I was going quite fast given my sneakers and unclipped
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Sounds like you are riding fine. I would stick with the flat pedals, but invest in some proper flat mtb shoes to replace your sneakers. FiveTen Pros are a good starting point. Their soles are ultra grippy and stiffer than regular sneakers. Also very hard wearing and easy to use off the bike
Jtmav.....like PeteHski noted you might just want to start with a better/stiffer pair of shoes.
My bikes either have SPD's, toe-clips or flat pinned pinned MTB pedals. I pick the bike depending on my riding mood of the day and choice of footwear makes a difference imho.
Enjoy and Ride safe.......
Old 08-07-23, 06:22 AM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Jtmav.....like PeteHski noted you might just want to start with a better/stiffer pair of shoes.
My bikes either have SPD's, toe-clips or flat pinned pinned MTB pedals. I pick the bike depending on my riding mood of the day and choice of footwear makes a difference imho.
Enjoy and Ride safe.......
Thanks, sounds like good advice. I started looking this morning on line as to what s available in shoes. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 08-07-23, 06:48 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Late to the party, but let me add that after commuting with toe clips for 28 years I bought a folding bike and have not added any foot retention to its folding pedals. My feet haven't slipped and I don't even thing about it.
Old 08-09-23, 02:19 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I started out using toe clips and straps on my road bike pedals and when the quick release pedals and cleats appeared I quickly switched over. I would have the straps loose when riding in city traffic or on bike paths where pedestrians would often walk into my path. No such worries with the clipless pedals and bike shoes. The mountain bike or trail type shoes are easy to walk around on the pavement unlike the nailed on cleats on my first bike shoes.

With bike shoes I have a much firmer sole and can put more pressure on the pedals and ride for hours without any foot fatigue. Being clipped in I can put more pressure on the pedals without fear of having a foot slip off and this allows me to use more of the pedal rotation to move the bike forward. The gain is most evident when pedaling up hills where I can have my heel higher. Being clipped in I can have a much higher pedal RPM or cadence which also makes for improved performance.

There is also the option of using mountain bike pedals with their pins and a pair of shoes like the Five Ten ones that have "stickier" soles. No clips but much better purchase on the pedals.

https://www.rei.com/product/872539/f...c=ds&gclsrc=ds
Likes For Calsun:
Old 08-09-23, 02:48 PM
bfuser29831039

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
We are just getting started MB'ing(1 month in)and I wear my Merrell hikers and bought some aggressive pedals w/cleats. No slipping on stock Giant pedals I just liked the new pedals better.
Old 08-09-23, 04:27 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
All my bikes have platform pedals. As I am not concerned with speed or efficiency, they work fine. I wear whatever happens to be on my feet when I go out for a ride, sandals, crocks, loafers, low-cut hikers. They all work well for the distances I usually cycle 20-30 miles.
Likes For jackb:
Old 08-09-23, 07:24 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
I have all platform pedals of various types, a couple of them with 1/4 or 1/2 MKS clips. I've tried full toe clips, didn't really benefit me at all, and I've no desire to risk clipless pedals. I like platforms because I can put my foot down in a hurry if I ever get unstable for some reason. My favorite pedals are MKS Esprit MTB pedals, just a really nice all-around pedal.
Old 08-14-23, 08:47 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
I've been riding clipless (aka, clipped in) for ~17 years, so it's pretty much second-nature to me now...but I honestly don't know whether the concerns about falling over while clipped in would be any greater now than they were when I first started using them. Because everybody falls over at least once when learning! When I was 45 years old a bruised shoulder or hip from those "horizontal track stands" was no big deal. Personally I probably still think a bruised shoulder or hip is no big deal, but A) I'm an idiot, and B) I realize that other people's risk tolerance may differ from mine.

I don't have any data on how much faster I am with clipless pedals, but I do know there's no way I could have done most of the riding I've done over these last ~17 years without having my feet secured to the pedals. And I'll offer this nugget/observation: Prior to riding with clipless pedals I rode with toeclips & straps. It took me nearly 10 years of regular riding to become comfortable getting in and out of toeclips/straps confidently and effortlessly. Whereas it took less than two weeks for me to become comfortable getting in and out of clipless pedals confidently and effortlessly.

[edit: I attribute a lot of that discrepancy to the fact that my clipless pedals are dual-sided.]

Last edited by Bob Ross; 08-14-23 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-27-23, 10:50 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
I use SPD pedals on road bikes, carbon and Italian steel. I do fine with that system. I have become interested in L'Eroica and just bought a period correct CIOCC. I have never used toeclips and straps. I am 72 and reasonably fit, but not particularly supple. I will get a pair of pedals with toe clips and straps for L'Eroica rule compliance. I will give it a try but I do confess some anxiety about "unclipping". I don't anticipate frustration about getting into the toeclips/straps but only the exit for an unexpected need to get a foot down. So this path is really the opposite of most of the great info above because I am trending backwards in time and not forward.

Mike
Old 10-27-23, 11:01 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
I use SPD pedals on road bikes, carbon and Italian steel. I do fine with that system. I have become interested in L'Eroica and just bought a period correct CIOCC. I have never used toeclips and straps. I am 72 and reasonably fit, but not particularly supple. I will get a pair of pedals with toe clips and straps for L'Eroica rule compliance. I will give it a try but I do confess some anxiety about "unclipping". I don't anticipate frustration about getting into the toeclips/straps but only the exit for an unexpected need to get a foot down. So this path is really the opposite of most of the great info above because I am trending backwards in time and not forward.

Mike
Can you forego cleats to ease difficulty of entry and extraction, but remain compliant? If so, don't cinch down tightly and you should be good.
Old 10-27-23, 11:24 AM
IcySwan1 

I would prefer to just ride some nice pedals without the toeclip/strap if rule it is rule compliant. I just don't know if it is, but will check it out further. If not, loose it is. thanks.

Mike
Old 10-27-23, 12:41 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Toe clips without straps would be compliant and would allow exit in all directions except forward. You probably seldom or ever do that anyway.

If you use single-sided SPD pedals, you're already used to having to flip the pedal over.
Old 10-27-23, 12:50 PM
IcySwan1 

Trakhak, I was thinking that. I did use a combo pedal on a hybrid for a bit that had SPD on one side and flat on the other. Flipping it to the correct side was not a problem. I don't expect to be pushing hard and using toe clips without straps sounds like the bee's knees.

Mike
Old 10-27-23, 03:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Here’s my long short of it. Like others, I started with toe clips, straps, and cleats. Nothing is worse than having to loosen a strap to remove your foot.

About a dozen years ago I went to a touring shoe without a cleat and just used toe clips/straps. They have worked well. But there have been a few times when the perfect storm happens when shift-accelerate-pothole all comes together and your foot slips off the pedal. It hasn’t resulted in the bike becoming uncontrollable, but it is a bit nerve wracking.

It has also happened with pinned platforms on my mountain bike which is a worse situation.

I agree with the suggestion to get semi-rigid mtb shoes, like Five Tens so you will get more support for foot. That would be the first thing I would do.

John
Old 10-28-23, 02:51 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
GCN have done a few comparisons between foot retention and flat/platform pedals and never shown any significant differences between the two in road and lab tests.

On fast road bike rides clipless *feels* more efficient to me. But some of my fastest overall rides and Strava segments have been with flat pedals and casual shoes on my road bikes.

I still prefer clipless on my road bikes for fast rides on open roads, and flat pedals with casual shoes for casual group rides in the city, and errands.

After persistent neck pain due to injuries, and getting slower due to age, I'm no longer chasing KOMs or even PRs. So it's likely I'll switch all my bikes to flat pedals. I no longer ride more than 60-90 minutes so any minor difference in efficiency won't matter in relatively short rides.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-08-23, 10:59 AM
hawkij

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hip Replacement Clips after?

I'm 71 YO and facing hip replacement coming up and the last time I rode without clips/cleats was many decades ago. Does anyone know anything about coming out of clips after hip replacement?
Old 12-08-23, 06:17 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkij
I'm 71 YO and facing hip replacement coming up and the last time I rode without clips/cleats was many decades ago. Does anyone know anything about coming out of clips after hip replacement?
I've had both hips replaced. I dislocated the left one by twisting on my standing leg when mounting my motorcycle. I went down like a sack of potatoes, and it dislocated three more times before they 'revised' it. I ride mostly step-through frames now, because of my hips.

However, with Shimano SPD two-bolt cleats, I have no problem unclipping with a twisting-out motion. I use the 'M' (multi-directional) versions of the cleats.