Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How do I dorkify my utility beater in a hurry?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How do I dorkify my utility beater in a hurry?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 08:18 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Well, if you're at VCU, you're in bike theft central.

My advice is to spend the money you saved on not one, but two, heavy duty locks, on U lock and one cable lock.

Make the thief have an eaisier time stealing that brand new Magna parked next to you.

And if you're in RVA, don't put any of that fixed gear stuff on it, like velocity deep Vs.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 03-18-08, 09:58 AM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HopliteGrad
Perhaps the owner finally did reclaim it?

My ride is an old POS mongoose worth probably what I paid for it, but its utility value to me is much higher. So, I'm trying to widen the spread on the desirability on mine versus the nice roadie bikes on the rack I lock to. So far so good.

Hop
Actually we know exactly who took it, we saw the beggar outside who comes every Wednesday to harass the restaurant patrons in the parking lot on their busiest night of the week that is next to our shop. He comes every Wednesday and I see him parking lot of other restaurants on their busy nights. Anyway I told my boss I think he is going to take it because he started pacing around it, sure enough it was gone 15 minutes later. Boss saw him this weekend riding it apparently he got it rolling somehow, scary the brakes were completely froze up. This was a mongoose bmx.
Old 03-18-08, 12:21 PM
roseskunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought a GT mountain bike years ago. it was bright pink. oh yeah. had it 10-15 years, ohio and chicago. never stolen. people gave me sh*t about my pink bike, but it was pretty safe to leave anywhere...
Old 03-19-08, 12:54 PM
LazyGirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had two bikes stolen. The first one was unlocked behind a movie theater ("No one will see it there!" ) and the second was locked in front of the house with a cable lock.

As much as I like having a pretty bike, I'm with you on the whole uglifying it to keep it safe idea. I've been thinking about that, too. Maybe making it smell bad would help, too? Like a dog poop perfume. Maybe a hidden odor releaser, and when you come to pick up your bike you put the stinky thing in it's odor-sealing container so you don't have to smell it on the ride home.

I keep the bike in the house when it's not in use (ok, it's not my bike it's the guy's bike). No need to expose it to shifty eyes unnecessarily.

Photograph your bike. Does it help? I don't know, but it won't hurt.

If your bike does get stolen, write down the date of the theft ASAP! The police won't take a report if you don't give them the exact day it happened.

Also, I have a new locking strategy. Instead of buying something designed for bikes, I got a chain (like the kind you'd lock up a motorcycle with) and a "contractor grade" padlock, looks pretty solid and hard to cut. The "hook" or whatever you call it doesn't stick out from the lock, it's sorta part of it which would make it hard to get a cutter in there to snap it. It's got a key lock. Don't know much about key locks or how hard it would be to pick, so might want to combine it with a combination lock for extra safety. Normally the lock would connect the two ends of the chain together. I got it the lock at the grocery store, don't know where the guy got the chain. Here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0944-2.JPG (25.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-19-08, 01:03 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LazyGirl
Photograph your bike. Does it help? I don't know, but it won't hurt.
Another good thing is that after photographing it, take it into a digital photo program, Photoshop, Microsoft Paint etc, and include your name, address, phone etc and the make, model and serial number into the photograph. That way you have it all in one. Then save a digital copy and print out a copy.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-20-08, 11:32 AM
cutman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I have a new locking strategy. Instead of buying something designed for bikes, I got a chain (like the kind you'd lock up a motorcycle with) and a "contractor grade" padlock, looks pretty solid and hard to cut. The "hook" or whatever you call it doesn't stick out from the lock, it's sorta part of it which would make it hard to get a cutter in there to snap it. It's got a key lock. Don't know much about key locks or how hard it would be to pick, so might want to combine it with a combination lock for extra safety.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. The reason some suggest two different types of locks is because they require two different types of tools to destroy 'em. With a chain you could just cut a link and suddenly that big fancy contractor's lock doesn't seem so solid.
Old 03-20-08, 12:18 PM
HopliteGrad
Recreation Ecologist

Bikes: Schwinn Criss Cross (hybrid beater), Nashbar AT-2 disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okie doke. The uglification abides. The most fun part was making the aluminum rims look rusty with textured spraypaint, then rust-colored spraypaint. AL now rusts! Haha!

What is the recommendation for a good D-shaped lock? My plan is for a kryptonite evolution to compliment the cable lock I already have, but it is so darn expensive...
Old 03-20-08, 01:21 PM
TexasHermit

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
take a look at the rustoleum site. They have lots of neat spray paints. They even have on I've been looking into that reflective.
Old 03-20-08, 04:26 PM
LazyGirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did Kryptonite ever fix the thing where you could pick the lock with a bic pen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2vLtpVPqhI
Old 03-20-08, 06:05 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Cover it with Disney Princess stickers.
Old 03-21-08, 02:48 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Did Kryptonite ever fix the thing where you could pick the lock with a bic pen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2vLtpVPqhI
Yes...but there are still some locks out there that still use the round style key. Krypto no longer does.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-22-08, 08:17 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Yes...but there are still some locks out there that still use the round style key. Krypto no longer does.

Aaron
For those who are new here, Bikeforums was where the whole scandal of the bic pens was first exposed.

(I know this is off topic, but it's one more thing to be proud of about this great forum we belong to. )

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-23-08, 09:38 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In some places here, it's so bad,, Huffy Stickers won't help, a girls Murray MTB is stolen as fast as anything, I paid for protection years ago, cost me a Budweiser everytime I left home, but nothing moved.
Old 03-24-08, 03:25 PM
HopliteGrad
Recreation Ecologist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nycycle
I paid for protection years ago, cost me a Budweiser everytime I left home, but nothing moved.
Bike theft mafiosos! "Eh Vinnie! Nycycle here is delinquent on his 'payment'?" *hefts a bat* "I hope you don't need your knees, Mr. Nycycle..."
Old 04-03-08, 07:16 PM
Yip812

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So this must be what happened to the bike I just picked up at goodwill. Man is it ugly! It is black with gold spots/splotches, and the handlebars are taped up with electrical tape. It even says Huffy (though I suspect it may actually BE a huffy...).

But, it has good tires, and rack on the back with baskets, and works fine. Perhaps I will re-think painting it.

Dawn
Old 04-03-08, 07:41 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go for rapid rusting of non-critical parts. Use some carbide grit sand paper to cut through any decorative chrome plating.
Old 04-03-08, 08:45 PM
JosephPaul86
Change=inevitable. ?=+/-

Bikes: MTB, 700c commuter, BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaperguy
if you have a quick release on the seat post, replace it with a bolt.
+1 vote...been there, lost that

I just never clean my bike. 99.9% of people here don't think bikes have any monetary value.
Old 04-04-08, 06:03 PM
kickflipjr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ultimate uglification: Get three colors of spray paint and lay it on thick. Spray every thing on the bike in a random fashion except the seat and grips (unless you want to get paint on your hands and pants). Spray paint will scratch easily over time which will just add to the ugly.
Old 04-07-08, 08:59 AM
superslomo
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are you this worried about a $5 bike?? It seems like you've probably spent as much on making it ugly as you did buying it.
Old 04-07-08, 09:09 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My utility bike / commuter has a special security system that I got from SixtyCo. (see below)

I also carry a big assed shackle and am careful where I park my rides while some are simply never left unattended due to their nearly irreplaceable nature.

I have had more than a few people tell me they'd love to have my beater" bikes and the thieves really will steal anything that isn't locked down. If they aren't pros then they are either opportunistic riders or meth heads.

Barring that...just spend some of the money you saved on a good lock as the SixtyCo Mags 3000 doesn;t come cheap as she needs her own wardrobe and winter gear.
Old 04-07-08, 11:16 AM
Dr.PooLittle
On-On!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just spend the 80 bucks or so to get a NY Lock, lock it and forget it. You're basically using the world's best lock, so might as well cut out the worrying. My bike's pretty, and I still don't worry. Use your old u-lock to lock up the other wheel and you're set. I've actually found that 2 u-locks are less of a ***** than one u-lock plus one cable.
Old 04-08-08, 10:50 AM
HopliteGrad
Recreation Ecologist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superslomo
Why are you this worried about a $5 bike?? It seems like you've probably spent as much on making it ugly as you did buying it.
That is a legitimate question, and one I have been tracking closely.

The utility value of the bike:
  • saving $3.50 a gallon around here
  • not having to give up competitive parking spots here on campus
  • an opportunity to teach myself bike maintenance
  • an easy means of getting myself out-of-doors more
  • cross training against marathon runs, so I'm less sore overall
  • chiseled legs
  • a new hobby and way to meet interesting people
  • a means of exploring interesting out-of-the-way spots around town

is greater than the bike's market value, $5. That's why I want to do what I can to lessen the chance of it getting stolen. If it DOES get stolen, then I lose the maintenance and innertubes and saddle I put into it to make it ridable and safe in the first place.
Old 04-08-08, 11:51 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If your bike has a handbars, saddle, wheels, frame, and is in a rideable condition, it will be attractive to some thief somewhere. Don't concentrate on the "looks" of the bike. Concentrate on making the bike not being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I avoid this problem by using folding bikes exclusively and taking them with me at all times.
Old 04-08-08, 12:15 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Just because a bike cost $5.00 does not mean that it's value is $5.00.

This one initially cost me $10.00 and I put a fair bit of work and parts into her and she never leaves my sight.

1973 Carlton built Raleigh Gran Sports
Old 04-21-08, 10:58 AM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If it's unlocked and has wheels, someone will grab it where I am - regardless of what it looks like. I've found that just a half decent covered steel cable with integrated lock does the trick, although I intend to get a second lock to be more safe. Really, if someone wants to steal your bike they will - I find it best to add enough deterrent (ie, hard to cut cabling) so that they go steal someone else's bike or just move on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.