Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Maybe I have gone too wide?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Maybe I have gone too wide?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-23, 07:16 AM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Vaportrail56 I know your focus is tires but I noticed the angle of your saddles and suggest that you make them at least level which will take some of the pressure off your hands. Maybe even point them up a genre or two. Also do some work on your core. We have to manage ride quality as a system more carefully at our age. But ya, commuting on my 86 Cannondale that only fits 25s is not as relaxing as on my old steel Peugeot on 28s.
Thanks for the tip! I just bought that saddle about a month ago because it has more paddling in it compared to the stock saddle it replaced. I thought with it angled like I could take advantage of all that padding. I will try and get it more level. I have been showing my bikes some love lately seeing how I have more time to ride now and trying to get them more urban friendly. Next I think I am going to replace the brakes on my Synapse with the aluminum look, the Tetro brakes are rusted from riding at the beach all the time in that salty air and I think that helped them to rust plus then they will match the color of the other components.
Old 10-05-23, 09:45 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
new calipers would spruce up the looks - but you could also try soaking the bolts etc in EvapoRust or similar
Old 10-09-23, 09:00 AM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
new calipers would spruce up the looks - but you could also try soaking the bolts etc in EvapoRust or similar
Sorry for the late reply but the same thing I was thinking about the calipers.Maybe find some stainless steel bolts or something to hold them on.
Update: I put a 28 on the back to match the front and everything is good now, no rubbing. I have a nice comfortable ride. I would like to thank everyone for the tips and suggestions, it has helped me a lot.Later
Likes For Vaportrail56: