Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cadence & music

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cadence & music

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 07:09 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cadence & music

Lots of stuff has been said about tunes that "motivate" a workout, but does anyone else have a song they can just play in their head as a guide for cadence?
Mine is "Sub" by 99 Posse:
Old 08-08-16, 07:30 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Play in their head? I have a bluetooth speaker in a top tube bag (or handlebars) to actually hear music while I ride.

Slayer works well for motivation. \m/
Old 08-08-16, 08:22 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Play in their head? I have a bluetooth speaker in a top tube bag (or handlebars) to actually hear music while I ride.

Slayer works well for motivation. \m/
Nope. The topic is not motivation, it's about knowing the tempo of a song matches the cadence you want. If you can't call it up from memory, it doesn't count; you have to recognize that it's being heard at the right speed.
Maybe others haven't experienced this, but I can not usually tell whether my cadence is in the 70-80 rpm range or 90-100 rpm range without looking at a cycling computer. However, I CAN tell whether a tune is being played at the right tempo. That's why I find that song useful - not because it's motivating, but because it's a kind of ruler.
Old 08-08-16, 08:34 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I like 'Jackson'...Johnny and June.

We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout....we've been talkin' 'bout Jackson, ever since the fire went out.
Old 08-08-16, 11:26 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
This is why I can't listen to music while riding.

Hearing one beat and pedaling to another drives me nuts.
Old 08-09-16, 12:05 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,703 Posts
old school punk-all over the place...kinda like my riding and cadence.
Old 08-09-16, 12:38 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

and one that will make you pedal faster:

Old 08-09-16, 12:46 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Old 08-09-16, 01:37 AM
Owlex

Bikes: Not As Many As I'd Like

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I weird for really, really not liking to listen to music while riding? It's not even a safety thing for me. It's just that riding is my quiet time. My time for myself, I guess (which is part of the reason I don't do a ton of group rides, although I have been doing more).

I just love the chance to be alone with myself, and with my thoughts, only considering the task of burning my legs up. I fully believe that I've found out a lot about myself riding solo and suffering out on hot ass, windy county roads. idunno.
Old 08-09-16, 04:24 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Owlex
Am I weird for really, really not liking to listen to music while riding? It's not even a safety thing for me. It's just that riding is my quiet time. My time for myself, I guess (which is part of the reason I don't do a ton of group rides, although I have been doing more).

I just love the chance to be alone with myself, and with my thoughts, only considering the task of burning my legs up. I fully believe that I've found out a lot about myself riding solo and suffering out on hot ass, windy county roads. idunno.
I'm sure you're not alone in that respect. For me, "background music" is usually not what I'm thinking, and if it's too insistent, it is distracting. But the tunes that come to mind when I'm riding, or walking at a good pace, or making my way along an open road on a moto or in a car ARE my thoughts.

Often I wish I were more musically articulate, because sometimes I'll remember or get an idea for a couple of bars of a melody, but will feel clueless as to how the rest of it goes, or how to develop it. The theme just goes round and round, and then that can be like any other distracting background music. Other times, the music just perfectly expresses the mood and just sort of wells up on its own, and subsides naturally as the scene passes or the terrain changes.
Old 08-09-16, 04:47 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Usually I have whatever one of the last songs I listened to stuck in my head. I think I up or down tempo the beat to whatever cadence I'm pushing. When I actually listen to music when riding on commutes I can tell a difference at times based on real music tempo.
Old 08-09-16, 05:32 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Belle & Sebastian's "Boy with the Arab Strap".
Old 08-09-16, 05:34 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 947 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
Nope. The topic is not motivation, it's about knowing the tempo of a song matches the cadence you want. If you can't call it up from memory, it doesn't count; you have to recognize that it's being heard at the right speed.
Maybe others haven't experienced this, but I can not usually tell whether my cadence is in the 70-80 rpm range or 90-100 rpm range without looking at a cycling computer. However, I CAN tell whether a tune is being played at the right tempo. That's why I find that song useful - not because it's motivating, but because it's a kind of ruler.
I like your tune...it even has a warm up till 1:50, then dropes the hammer I'm also in the camp of being a music lover, but not wanting to obstruct any road sounds - so these cadence songs are all internal. I usually have one of my ever-searching new bands in my head, but if I had to pick a favorite it'd be Demo Man
Old 08-09-16, 08:08 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

depends how far you ride .... if you do long rides (6-8hrs), a bit of music is always welcome especially when you are tired
Old 08-09-16, 09:11 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Same here. Maybe we are both weird.

Someone once said that his bike was his "two wheeled cloister."
Old 08-09-16, 09:43 AM
Perdido

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Gary Fisher

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1. So there's at least 3 of us...
Old 08-09-16, 08:48 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a little computer on my bars that tells me my cadence at any given second.

Magic!
Old 08-10-16, 04:23 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velociraptor
I have a little computer on my bars that tells me my cadence at any given second.

Magic!
I have them, too, but the numbers are small and one has to look down at them, plus, they aren't half as entertaining as a song. When I find that my cadence is slow and I just want to get it back in the zone, I don't want to be staring at a little screen on my handlebars. That said, there are times I really do want to watch the numbers.
The time I most like to use the computer is on long-ish flats, especially at the beginning, when I want to work up speed. I've found that, typically, a difference of one cog is a difference of about 10 rpm, so for a nice acceleration, I'll work up to 105 rpm and shift then. Once I've shifted for the last time, I'll be around 95, and if I can keep that steady, I'm golden. If I want to be a bit quicker about it, I'll shift as it goes over 110, maybe to 115, and drop it two cogs once at cruising speed. I'll also like to be looking at the computer at such times, because I'll be watching my speed - to see how well I might be doing. Only by concentrating like this do I ever sustain mid-20s solo.

Last edited by kbarch; 08-10-16 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 10:18 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 947 Posts
when you need to finish strong - just released from Metallica showing they've still got legs, this is a Jaaaaamm
Old 08-19-16, 03:25 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,703 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
https://youtu.be/8HdAplWpqWA

Belle & Sebastian's "Boy with the Arab Strap".
great song great album. one of my top ten albums of the 90's.
Old 08-19-16, 05:35 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
depends how far you ride .... if you do long rides (6-8hrs), a bit of music is always welcome especially when you are tired
I keep my earbuds around for my long rides too. It can break up the monotony. Safety isn't much of concern due my recumbent bike and my larger mirror off to my left side. I see cars well before they catch up to me.

For music, I tend to like more upbeat, poppish stuff. Lately, some Serebro from Russia, or T-ara from S Korea. It's a bit cheesy, but it does pick me up after a few hours out.