Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I saw a nasty crash recently

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-22, 02:25 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts

In a road race a few weeks ago I saw a rider go down in a pretty frightening manner.

It was right after the start, like maybe a quarter mile into the race. There were at least a couple dozen of us riding together in a loose group, and our speed was around 25 mph on a very gradual descent (1 or 2%, estimated).

Just ahead of me in the pack, I heard someone crashing before I saw him. My first thought was to be ready to avoid a pileup. Fortunately, it turned out to be only one rider; no one else got involved.

Within a second or two of the first crashing sounds, I caught up with the victim. There were orange plastic cones lining the edge of the road (to keep drivers alerted), and this rider had gotten tangled up in one of them. I don’t know if he hit it first and that’s what caused the crash, or he started going down for some other reason and then got mixed up with the cone.

I saw a jumble of bike, rider, and cone flipping, tumbling, and rolling on the ground. There was nothing graceful or controlled about it. It looked like a real mess. The other riders and I all cringed and felt terrible for this guy.

We finished the race, and I hoped to get some word on his condition—I didn’t know him, but I had perhaps a morbid curiosity. My suspicion, echoed by others I overheard, was he might have suffered a broken collarbone or shoulder injury and certainly had some moderate to severe road rash (all this was mere speculation based on the mechanics of the wipeout). But the scuttlebutt around the finish line was that he came out fine, with only a broken nose. The race organizer/announcer stated that there were two crashes in the race, but both riders were okay and smiling at the end. The other one got up and finished the race. I saw him, and he had some road rash on one arm.

It was a relief to hear that there were no serious injuries, given the dramatic nature of the crash. I’m still curious about what caused it. The road surface was smooth and free of debris, and we were not in a turn. Everyone seemed to be getting along and riding responsibly. Obviously something happened to make him lose control; maybe his attention lapsed briefly as he was approaching a cone, but that is just my speculation.

Anyone else have a good crash story?
Old 10-17-22, 02:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Is there ever a good crash?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-17-22, 02:45 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Touch tires with someone else?

Old 10-17-22, 02:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
A broken nose is bad enough, and implies possible head injury.

I think I will stay hope for the next month and eat oatmeal, just to play it safe.
Old 10-17-22, 02:58 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Some are much worse than others. “Good crash story” refers to a good story about a crash, not a story about a good crash.

Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-17-22, 03:01 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Touch tires with someone else?
Perhaps. I think that's a likely cause, but I really don't know.
Old 10-17-22, 03:08 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
A bunch of years ago a guy that I raced on the track with had a hip replacement. He came back to the track in the spring for the first low-key races and figured he'd race w/ the C's (lowest level at these races) so he wouldn't get dropped. He was in his early 70's and had been on the track since his college days. He got crashed by a new guy at his first real race and his neck was broken, he ended up paralyzed. Good story?
Old 10-17-22, 04:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Shoot, in the past few years, I've been in two gravel races in which riders broke their necks. One was a nine (if I recall correctly) person crash in which most ended up in the hospital -- a few of them for several days.

I don't want to trivialize it, but a broken collarbone and some road rash is pretty standard stuff in a bike crash -- esp one in a race, where speeds (and adrenaline) are higher.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-17-22, 05:00 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
Shoot, in the past few years, I've been in two gravel races in which riders broke their necks. One was a nine (if I recall correctly) person crash in which most ended up in the hospital -- a few of them for several days.

I don't want to trivialize it, but a broken collarbone and some road rash is pretty standard stuff in a bike crash -- esp one in a race, where speeds (and adrenaline) are higher.
A guy I knew was warming up on the course before a CX race. He went off course, smashed his face into a tree and died.

I like the Happy thread better.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-17-22, 05:05 PM
Koyote

A guy I knew was warming up on the course before a CX race. He went off course, smashed his face into a tree and died.

I like the Happy thread better.
That's a thread killer.

I "liked" your post, but I don't really like that.
Old 10-17-22, 05:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Anyone else have a good crash story?
I saw a "good" crash in a crit a few years ago. We were in a fast right hand turn, and a guy to my left took a bad line. He went wide on the exit and hit the curb, somersaulted over his bars, and stuck a perfect landing in the grass next to a tree.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-17-22, 06:02 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
I narrowly avoided a crash right in front of me at the start of a big Sportive event in the summer. We were in a large, fast moving peloton. The road narrowed and 2 guys in front of me touched wheels and went down hard. I managed to swerve around them as they fell and all I could hear was the crunching of carbon and squeal of brakes. I don't think either of them were seriously injured, but it didn't look good at all. I was surprised they didn't take out more riders with them as it was a closely packed bunch. I'm not a big fan of riding in a large peloton of unpredictable strangers to be honest. Especially at the start of a big event like this.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-17-22, 06:30 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
That's a thread killer.

I "liked" your post, but I don't really like that.
If I may…He was an older fellow who had crashed pretty badly in the previous years. In one incident, he went over a guardrail and down an embankment while riding alone in CA. There was no indication that he had been struck by a vehicle. When he came to he had to crawl back up to the road. A passing motorist saw him, stopped and called 9-1-1. In the other, he simply fell over and broke his collar bone. (There were witnesses to that crash.) It probably wasn’t a good idea to take up CX racing after things like that.

I know another guy who had “no fault” crashes. He was in his 70s but still strong. Then he fell down a hill while walking in a park somewhere in Europe. His doctor said his next fall could be his last. After that, his wife (smarty) made him stick to indoor riding.
Old 10-17-22, 06:36 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
heck yeah. all my falls were good, except the last 2, unfortunately
Old 10-17-22, 06:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Broctoon
It was a relief to hear that there were no serious injuries, given the dramatic nature of the crash.
astonishing human resilience
Old 10-17-22, 10:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
A very close friend crashed mountain biking on a local technical trail. He had a severe head injury and almost died. He was in the hospital for weeks. The doctor cautioned him to give up the sport because if it happened again he would not survive. He has zero recall of what happened.

A son of some close friends was also mountain biking with full protective gear and went down landing on his face. He ended up losing an eye and the trauma created a reaction where enzymes were produced which started shutting down/blinding the good eye. Luckily that process stopped and reversed and still has one good eye.

While MTBing I hit an upturned tree root at about 15 MPH on a fast downhill. I have never been slammed to the ground so fast and so hard in my life. When I was finally able to breathe again since the wind was knocked out of me, which was scary in itself, I was relieved to be able to wiggle my toes. I had months of PT after being severely bruised, but nothing was fortunately torn or broken.

Old 10-18-22, 03:58 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Only when you bump into an ole good friend.
Old 10-18-22, 04:32 AM
rumrunn6

I remember reading about a missing biker, that was later found deceased. the news story had something like this: "the rider had injuries consistent with mountain biking" so one can only imagine
Old 10-18-22, 08:49 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
I was riding the Queensboro bridge path. The path is quite narrow with both cyclists and pedestrians using it. Some guy on a Trek hybrid overtakes me on the right and merges in front of me, almost touching my front wheel. He proceeds to overtake the next rider and tries to move to the left, there are no riders going in the opposite direction, but there is an electric scooter approaching quickly on the very left. He passes the Trek guy on the left, touches his handlebars resulting in a crash. The guy somehow managed to come to a stop, but a small dog he was carrying did not make it. The guy started crying hysterically. I managed to stop and avoid hitting them.
Old 10-19-22, 11:41 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
I was riding the Queensboro bridge path. The path is quite narrow with both cyclists and pedestrians using it. Some guy on a Trek hybrid overtakes me on the right and merges in front of me, almost touching my front wheel. He proceeds to overtake the next rider and tries to move to the left, there are no riders going in the opposite direction, but there is an electric scooter approaching quickly on the very left. He passes the Trek guy on the left, touches his handlebars resulting in a crash. The guy somehow managed to come to a stop, but a small dog he was carrying did not make it. The guy started crying hysterically. I managed to stop and avoid hitting them.
So needless and so very sad. I would sue the crap out of the perp.

Old 10-24-22, 12:30 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
In the last month, I have seen two car crashes right in front of me. The worst one was a car flying thru the air and landing no more than 10 feet in front of me. If I had been one second faster, I wouldnt be here posting this.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-24-22, 12:57 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rydabent
In the last month, I have seen two car crashes right in front of me. The worst one was a car flying thru the air and landing no more than 10 feet in front of me. If I had been one second faster, I wouldnt be here posting this.
This thread is about cycling crashes, but thanks for trying.
Old 10-24-22, 12:59 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rydabent
got a will & a trust set up?
Old 10-24-22, 02:29 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I was 24 riding a road bike downhill downwind before a bridge and a longsleeve lycra shirt strapped under my seat came loose locking up the rear wheel as it got caught under the brake bridge, Might have been going about 24 mph My rear wheel fishtailed a few times before I hit the curb and took flight like superman over the descending embankment that was built of boulders overgrown with forsythia. Another 30’ would have been a drop over a guardrail 30’ down to a dirt road then after that a tidal river. Somehow I came up bruised but uninjured. Went back to the shop, changed wheels and went back on the road as I knew I’d be too sore if I stopped riding. I wasn’t wearing a helmet.
A few years later my partner in the shop had a low speed crash that cracked his skull, put him in a coma for 2 1/2 weeks and required years to recover from.
Old 10-24-22, 02:38 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
I do get good-natured ribbing when I walk my mountain bike down sudden dropoffs or very steep eroded technical singletrack. My response to the razzers: "My bike may have suspension, but I don't bounce anymore." That usually gets a wave and good reply. And, regrettably, it's true.
Likes For RCMoeur:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.