Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Medici Decals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Medici Decals

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 10:40 AM
ShaunJohnson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Medici Decals

I have a '79 Medici Pro Strada that has been repainted some time ago and I'm looking to repaint it and replace the decals myself. It doesn't have the original decals, so I can't get any measurements from it. Right now I'm basically going off of pictures, but it would be great to get exact, or close to exact, measurements.

I know that the graphics changed a little through the years and I think the earlier models like the '78s and '79s didn't have the stars. And the bands along the seat tube were a little different. Is this correct? Is there anyone out there with a Pro Strada of similar vintage or knowledge that can help me out?

These guys have some catalogs that were scaned for others to view. They had, at one point, the '79 Pro Strada catalog up. But, now it seems to be missing. Which is wierd because I have it printed off and sitting right next to me...

https://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/medici/index.html

Anyways, any help is appreciated.
Old 06-17-10, 10:57 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
you might want to post to the CR list as Mike Howard who built the Medici bikes subscribes to the list.
info on joining the list are here : https://www.phred.org/mailman/listinfo/classicrendezvous
just be sure to follow the rules Dale has set down otherwise you'll get caught by the auto-boot!

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 06-20-10, 10:11 AM
ShaunJohnson

I checked out Classic Rendezvous and did a quick search but all of the results were four or five years old with no information about decals. I may try creating an account, but that site seems so primitive...

I've been using Illustrator and I've got a set of early '80s ('82 and on) decals pretty much done except they aren't to scale. I can't seem to find anyone with a '78 or '79 Medici that can get some measurements for me. I found one guy, through Flickr, who owned a '78 or '79 Pro-Pista with the decals that I need. I contacted him and found out he sold the bike over a year ago! He passed on the contact to the individual he sold it too but I haven't been able to get a hold of them. All I need are the measurements for these decals and I can just make my own.

Here's a photo of that Pro-Pista:

I need the measurements of the letter height/width, the seat tube band width and the height of the lion.

Medici owners, help me out!
Old 06-20-10, 11:48 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaunJohnson

Medici owners, help me out!
I can, but probably not today. Mine has the simpler downtube transfer without any shooting stars.

For actual original transfers you might make an inquiry to one of the guys on ebay in California who places Masi and or Confente transfers up for sale from time to time. I think he has some, but maybe not a full set. I do not remember the era he has.

Some notes:

Early bikes just had the Medici dragon, (I forget what it was supposed to be, lifted from the Medici coat of arms) no shield surrounding.
The Pro - Strada chain stay transfer was the same art as used by Confente, just the colors transposed. This was one of the problems that led to Mario leaving. But that is another tale.

The sad truth is having the correct graphics on the bike will not really add to its value. These are good bikes overall but the history appears to hold them back, one of the true values in the vintage bike world. Their time has not arrived, an may never.

Last edited by repechage; 06-20-10 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-20-10, 11:51 AM
repechage

Have you checked out these?

https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/medici/

I think in one of the early catalogs the lugs look very Masi. Liberated might be the polite term.

Last edited by repechage; 06-20-10 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-20-10, 12:52 PM
ShaunJohnson

Originally Posted by repechage
Have you checked out these?

https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/medici/

I think in one of the early catalogs the lugs look very Masi. Liberated might be the polite term.
Yes, that's where I got my catalog scans from. Apparently I have this link saved in my favorites, but somehow I failed to see it. I'll have a look at those again!

What year do you have? Does it have the seat tube bands with the yellow stripe (top and bottom) with the alternating black and yellow stars (are these the only two colors of stars for this era?)? I think the Pro-Pista that I posted previously is a '78 or '79 and it has the Medici lion without the sheild like you talk about. And, I think I've read that the early Medicis were built with Masi lugs and, not to mention, they were built using almost identical fixtures to that of Masi.

Here's a '79 catalog scan of a Pro-Strada:

Honestly, I'm not concerned with how much this bike is worth. I'm planning on repainting it with original, or close to original, decals for personal purposes. I doubt this bike will ever be sold. My Dad rode it for a while until he rebuilt his Raleigh and handed it down to me. The bike is valuable to me and I think Medicis are some of the finest bikes from this era (even if others think otherwise). The Pro-Strada rides remarkably well and I love the way it handles. I think one characteristic that draws my attention is that they are some of the rarer bikes to be had as not a lot of people know about them.

If and when you get the chance to take measurements let me know. I would really appreciate it!
Old 06-20-10, 01:42 PM
JML

Bikes: 3Rensho SR Export

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to https://www.raydobbins.com/medici/index. The date references on the site are not consistent, however (1970s or 1984).

I remember looking at Medici catalogs for hours, and driving to New Jersey from Boston to see them at the east coast distributor/seller. The history is fascinating; the Masi and Confente connection is worth knowing, so look up the Mario Confente story online.

You might also contact some of the large refinishers, like CyclArt. They may have the decals you want.

Last edited by JML; 06-20-10 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-20-10, 10:58 PM
ShaunJohnson

Originally Posted by JML
You might also contact some of the large refinishers, like CyclArt. They may have the decals you want.
I originally tried CyclArt and they only supply decals if you order a full restoration from them. Which is definitely not worth it...
Old 06-21-10, 10:08 AM
repechage

I originally tried CyclArt and they only supply decals if you order a full restoration from them. Which is definitely not worth it...
Downtube 107mm long overall, serif of M to serif of I out to out of text, there is a .5 to .8 mm yellow outline around all beyond this.
8 mm distance between the two top edged of the text (around the top of the top tube) the MEDICI sits above the horizon line of the tube mostly when viewed from the side.

Medici lion 32mm top of head to crotch

My bike has the later seat tube bands where they played fast and loose with the World Championship bands and have small Medici logotype floating above and below.
Stripes go black, red,blue, yellow green, each colored stripe is 2.75 mm wide, with a .75 mm wide black stripe between and on top and bottom. The MEDICI floats above and below and is 3 mm high, the distance varies, probably due to the sequence of silk screen printing, 1.25 mm from the outboard black stripe was the goal.
Old 06-21-10, 10:11 AM
repechage

The exception being Eisentraut, he sent them on condition that any Eisentraut owner could by them, just try without Albert's help though...
Old 06-21-10, 10:56 AM
ShaunJohnson

Downtube 107mm long overall, serif of M to serif of I out to out of text, there is a .5 to .8 mm yellow outline around all beyond this.
8 mm distance between the two top edged of the text (around the top of the top tube) the MEDICI sits above the horizon line of the tube mostly when viewed from the side.

Medici lion 32mm top of head to crotch

My bike has the later seat tube bands where they played fast and loose with the World Championship bands and have small Medici logotype floating above and below.
Stripes go black, red,blue, yellow green, each colored stripe is 2.75 mm wide, with a .75 mm wide black stripe between and on top and bottom. The MEDICI floats above and below and is 3 mm high, the distance varies, probably due to the sequence of silk screen printing, 1.25 mm from the outboard black stripe was the goal.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate this.

Is your frame an '80 by chance?

For the bands, the color stripes (2.75 mm) are seperate from the 0.75 mm stroke, correct? So, 3.5 mm total for one colored stripe and the black stroke. Could you get the total band width just so I know this is right? Also, is the MEDICI above the bands centered exactly half way around the seat tube?

If you could also get the height of the down tube text and the spacing between the M and the E (serif to serif), for example, on the down tube text.

Oh, and does yours have the Pro-Strada text on the chainstays?
Old 06-21-10, 12:23 PM
repechage

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate this.

Is your frame an '80 by chance?

For the bands, the color stripes (2.75 mm) are seperate from the 0.75 mm stroke, correct? So, 3.5 mm total for one colored stripe and the black stroke. Could you get the total band width just so I know this is right? Also, is the MEDICI above the bands centered exactly half way around the seat tube?

If you could also get the height of the down tube text and the spacing between the M and the E (serif to serif), for example, on the down tube text.

Oh, and does yours have the Pro-Strada text on the chainstays?
The overall width of the stripe band varies, more than 15mm and less than 16 mm. The MEDICI is biased toward the front on each side the letterspace between the M and the E is at the direct outboard. But that does not mean these transfers are on correctly, the other side is not quite the same. The design is as described.

Yes, it has the Pro - Strada, black text, yellow drop shadow. This is probably from 1980-81.
The Pro- strada is hard to measure, the only part visible is the Pr beyond the chainring! Quality placement.
Old 06-21-10, 12:43 PM
ShaunJohnson

The overall width of the stripe band varies, more than 15mm and less than 16 mm. The MEDICI is biased toward the front on each side the letterspace between the M and the E is at the direct outboard. But that does not mean these transfers are on correctly, the other side is not quite the same. The design is as described.

Yes, it has the Pro - Strada, black text, yellow drop shadow. This is probably from 1980-81.
The Pro- strada is hard to measure, the only part visible is the Pr beyond the chainring! Quality placement.
Okay, thanks. Could you also get the height of the MEDICI text as well as the letter spacing on the down tube when you get the chance?
Old 06-21-10, 04:22 PM
repechage

Okay, thanks. Could you also get the height of the MEDICI text as well as the letter spacing on the down tube when you get the chance?
The cap height of the font is just beyond 17 mm this does not include the outline. kerning of the letters varies, the strokes where is it easy to measure at the serif is 4.5 mm, but it varies and I would not kern it as they did, the M & E are too close at 4.5 and the E & D are 4.5 mm they should not be the same.

If I was recreating the art I would have a hard time not fixing stuff. My lettering Professor from decades ago would be voicing a critique in my head. All the Medici collateral does have the same quick and dirty art feel to it... "can you do paste up?, great- you are hired"