Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Seatstay/Chainstay vertical bridge

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 05:11 AM
ciquta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm building a custom Ti frame for light gravel purposes.

I'm not sure where to put rear brake caliper, since I opted for external cable routing under the TT I thought it would be better to go for seatstay mount.

The frame builder suggests to put a vertical bridge to increase stiffness, is that right? Would it be better to switch to CS brake mount then?

Worth mentioning i'm a big guy 220lbs and chainstay is 470mm long here.

Old 08-26-22, 08:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
It's a pretty well known design, having a brace between the stays at the disk caliper mounts. I would follow your builder's advise.

As to caliper location- that is often driven by other aspects. Like rack or fender compatibility. Or chain/seat stay angles and will a caliper fit between them. Unless having a certain cable routing is vital I would let the caliper location determine the cable path.

I think the opening line should read more like "I'm having a Ti frame built for me, for gravel riding". Andy
Old 08-26-22, 09:08 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
It would be better to use a "flat mount" on the chainstay, since most road and gravel groups come with flat mount calipers. If the builder is still using "post mount" caliper mounts, then a bridge is definitely necessary between the seat stay and chain stay for a seat stay mounted caliper.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-26-22, 09:44 AM
ciquta

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
It would be better to use a "flat mount" on the chainstay, since most road and gravel groups come with flat mount calipers. If the builder is still using "post mount" caliper mounts, then a bridge is definitely necessary between the seat stay and chain stay for a seat stay mounted caliper.
At least here in EU the post mount it far more popular now. However the fork is post mount, i don't see why not going the same at the rear.

This is the 3rd frame I'm building with same specs (included post mount) and this is the first time I've been suggested to put the bridge.

Why is it necessary in your opinion?
Likes For ciquta:
Old 08-26-22, 10:28 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
All of the force from braking is concentrated at the front edge of the post mount and that force is very likely to crack the seat stay at the weld joint. The bridge transfers that load to the chainstay and prevents the seat stay from flexing under braking. Maybe it won't happen with a 19mm stay, but it is good practice to use a bridge there.

Likes For dsaul:
Old 08-26-22, 10:40 AM
ciquta

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As to caliper location- that is often driven by other aspects. Like rack or fender compatibility. Or chain/seat stay angles and will a caliper fit between them. Unless having a certain cable routing is vital I would let the caliper location determine the cable path.
In my previous build I had rack eyelets even with SS mount, no problem

I'm gonna route under TT, hence the SS caliper, but i really don't have preferences. Or should I?

Old 08-26-22, 03:11 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
What Andrew said. Listen to your builder. They are the one who has to stand behind the product and it carries their name.