Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

avid juicy 3 help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

avid juicy 3 help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 08:39 PM
Ryan6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
avid juicy 3 help

Hello,

I'm trying to get an old set of juicy 3 brakes up and running and need some help! I can't work out the issue.

The pistons don't retract enough so after you brake both pistons stay out, slightly rubbing the disc.

I have pulled apart the calipers, cleaned the everything, including the pistons and the seals.

I bleed them with fresh brake fluid.

I don't have a lot of experience with hydraulic brakes but from everything i've read, I can't see what the issue is.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 10-08-22, 08:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,872 Times in 2,314 Posts
Being blind to the parts in question I can only give a single data point that happened recently. A repair bike's brake lever was sticking on its pivot. The other lever had the common slight wiggle of a free moving lever. A bit of lube on the pivot and "working" the lever at cross angles to the pivoting resulted in the lever freeing up and the caliper pads retracting enough to cleat the rotor. Andy
Old 10-09-22, 03:09 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Simplest answer it to go buy any other set of new brakes from another brand of brakes, Shimano, Tektro etc.

Juicy brakes were bad when new, the advice to anyone who had them when BITD was to go get Shimano at Deore level up (best at the time value for money/performance), now would go from Atlus level up, as they are very good for not a lot of money and the Juicy brakes won't have improved with age.

You're going to be throwing time and money at a set of brake which will never perform constantly/well, going with something new that works will be the best option long term. Being a safety critical item, this is one area i wouldn't want to risk to old & poorly (old is fine if it works) performing parts.
Likes For jimc101:
Old 10-09-22, 08:47 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan6000
Hello,

I'm trying to get an old set of juicy 3 brakes up and running and need some help! I can't work out the issue.

The pistons don't retract enough so after you brake both pistons stay out, slightly rubbing the disc.

I have pulled apart the calipers, cleaned the everything, including the pistons and the seals.

I bleed them with fresh brake fluid.

I don't have a lot of experience with hydraulic brakes but from everything i've read, I can't see what the issue is.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Could be anything, but before we start blaming the brakes it might make sense to describe your bleeding process, what tools and brake fluid you used.

No experience with Juicy, I have a 10 year old entry level Elixir 1, had to bleed only once during this period and they are still going strong.
Old 10-09-22, 09:11 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Replace them. Even SRAM admits to them being some of the worst brakes ever made.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-09-22, 10:23 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
We have two Trek mountain bikes that came with Avid Juicy brakes. After about 6 years, I finally replaced them with some XTs I found on sale. The difference was so phenomenal that I felt terrible that I hadn't done this 5 years or more previously. Treat yourself to some new compatible rotors, too. Also, you don't have to get XT; anything Shimano makes is going to be a drastic improvement (even if the Avids were working correctly). I recently took the XTs off my now quite old mountain bike and put them on a different bike, and put a set of Shimano BR-S700 Alfine Disc Brakes on, for $120 for a pre-bled pair. Even those work great compared to the Avid Juicy brakes.
Old 10-09-22, 02:49 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
Toss them in the trash and replace with Shimano brakes.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 10-10-22, 12:32 AM
Ryan6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cheers for the reply. I followed this brake bleeding video using an Avid brake bleeding kit with DOT 4 fluid. I tried to bleed it 3 times. No air bubbles that I could see.
Old 10-10-22, 12:33 AM
Ryan6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like i'll be searching for some new brakes!
Likes For Ryan6000: