Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New bottom bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-22, 12:00 PM
cchki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bottom bracket

Hey, I have now fsa megaexo bb-4000 and happened to run in black friday deal on bb-1000. Are they compatible? Both are 19mm spindle.

Or should I just get new bearings for the bb? Would I need special tools to replace the bearings?

Last edited by cchki; 11-22-22 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-22-22, 02:27 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
According to one source, the BB1000 is for a 73mm (mountain bike) bottom bracket shell width. Quite probably, it will also fit a 68mm shell with spacers, but check first. While the 19mm spindle diameter works for either, FSA says the BB1000 is "compatible with Gamma Drive cranks," and the BB4000 is "only compatible with FSA Omega MegaExo road chainsets."

The two are pretty much the same price (Black Friday notwithstanding), so it might be more reassuring to just replace your BB4000 with another one.

If you decide to replace the bearings instead, they're FSA MR087, and they fit either of those BB units. I've never replaced the bearings on an external BB, but you might need some kind of bearing press.