Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anybody else ever bend their derailuer hanger?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 04:15 PM
Sprout97 

Bikes: 2004 Co-Motion Speedster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm curious, as we --rather I (the captain is responsible for everything that happens [at least in my book])-- managed to both bend the hanger & crack the XTR RD on what ended up being our final ride of last year (non-crash, btw). Our LBS wasn't surprised given frame length & torque. Ric at House of Tandems indicated that it happens more often than one would think. Yet, I've never run into anyone (metaphorically speaking) who's had that happen on either a tandem or a half-bike. Inquiring minds want to know.

Learn from other people's mistakes. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

2004 Co-Motion Speedster
2010 (Specialized) Carmel comfort (my neighborhood bike)
2008 Raleigh comfort (wife's neighborhood bike)
Old 01-15-16, 04:38 PM
radsmd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did the hanger bend and derailleur crack? There must have been some sort of impact to do that. Highly unusual for that to happen in normal riding without some sort of direct force, such as leaning it against something when stopped, pushed up against the wall or seat if packed in a suv or minivan, etc...

I always carry an extra derailleur hanger just in case something like this happens. Not much you can do about the derailleur though.
Old 01-15-16, 04:42 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
This makes no sense mechanically.

All the force is transferred by the top segment of chain between the chain ring and the cog. By the time the chain wraps down through the RD, it is slack.
Old 01-15-16, 06:22 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
It was that sneaky bast*rd named "Not Me"!

The only tandem hanger we ever had bent, was apparently upon new delivery of our Santana to the dealer the bike box fell over. Result was a cracked hanger for which we had to fight to get a replacement once I had figured out why the rear shifting sucked. Since then, we always had a spare but never the need to use it. When traveling, I always remove the RD from the hanger to avoid that potential extra leverage issue.

Last edited by twocicle; 01-15-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-15-16, 06:54 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts
Bent one years ago when bike fell over next to a curb and rear derailleur took the hit.

Old 01-15-16, 07:31 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
It happens, usually due to collision or improper transportation or just falling down on the drive side when trying to prop up the bike. But it can also happen if a link freezes, or something is pulled into the chain, or even trying to back pedal when the gears are not aligned.

my daughter bent hers on her half bike recently through a minor collision. Unfortunately the LBS installed the new one with short screws and it fell off again twice before she figured it out.
Old 01-15-16, 07:37 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
This October my wife and I were riding the GAP. About 2 miles from Ohioplye we must have hit a stick or something. BANG the RD literal exploded into a dozen pieces, the chain got wedged between the cassette and the spokes. Was able to remove the cassette and make the drivetrain into a single speed to get us back. A nice fellow took us to the bike shop in Confluence ,PA where, knowing the owner, I had use of the shop. New RD, new chain, retued the wheel, and re-aligned the DR hanger and we were off again. Forgot to mention we were touring so we han rear panniers on. A few days later on our return ride the spokes, 3 of them, started breaking! But thanks to disc brakes we made it back to our truck. since then I have rebuilt the rear wheel.
Old 01-16-16, 10:44 AM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
We bent the hanger when the RD got pushed into the rear spokes. LBS straightened it with no problem.
Old 01-18-16, 10:33 AM
Sprout97 

Bikes: 2004 Co-Motion Speedster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd really miss-entered when I started the thread. The RD did crack around the upper idler gear. The hanger was maybe only slightly bent, but what was really bent want the drop out for the RD. If I can coax my camera into, I'll post the pics.

Learn from other people's mistakes. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

2004 Co-Motion Speedster
2010 (Specialized) Carmel comfort (my neighborhood bike)
2008 Raleigh comfort (wife's neighborhood bike)