Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

HRM Training and Setting Max HR?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 02:31 PM
Memphis_Buckeye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have recently started educating myself on the use of and training with a heart rate monitor. More specifically, a Garmin Forerunner that also has GPS. I have read quite a bit and understand the lack of importance regarding actual max HR, and how LT is more important. However, my watch setup requires resting and max HRs to determine the HR zones.

I read here of a way to determine LT. I just ran a 5-mile running race that took me ~36 mins to complete. I had gone out a little quick for the first mile and then steadied off to a more regular pace that I was just about able to maintain. So based on this article, I used the last 20 mins of the race and took my HRs at 5-min intervals to come up with an average HR of ~203BPM. According to the article, this should be my LT. Assuming this is ~90% of my max HR, then my max HR would be ~225BPM.

If I then break things down to HR zones, I get the following numbers:

Zone 5 (90%-100% max): 203-225 BPM
Zone 4 (80%-90% max): 180-203 BPM
Zone 3 (70%-80% max): 158-180 BPM
Zone 2 (60%-70% max): 135-158 BPM
Zone 1 (50%-60% max): 113-135 BPM

I *THINK* I'm looking at this correctly. I am just wondering about my numbers... I fully understand that I should not and cannot accurately compare my HR numbers to anyone else. I understand that everyone's different and you probably don't have enough info and that I probably shouldn't even be asking this, but does this max 225BPM HR seem high, or should I just run with it (no pun intended)?

Does my methodology seem fair in determining my LT & Max HR? If not, what do you suggest I do? I just want to make sure I did not make any fundamental mistakes here.

I have read that temperature, humidity and race vs. non-race conditions can all have an effect on HR. Should this be taken into consideration when trying to approximate LT and/or Max HR? I would assume max is max, and though ambient conditions can effect it, they have nothing to do with what the max is and rather just intensify a given workout. Am I on track with this line of thinking?

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-09-10, 03:26 PM
Joemess
Space for rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am thinking that if my heart rate ever reached 225 my chest would explode....
Old 08-09-10, 04:03 PM
Memphis_Buckeye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, it seems high to me. Something must be flawed, but I'm not sure what. Perhaps the methodology of determining LT? The source I used says to race for 30 mins and take the average HR over the last 20 mins of the race. I raced for 36 mins and took the average over the last 20 mins. There is another test in a sticky on here that says to go for 20 mins, rest 5, then another 20 mins. The two seem drastically different. Perhaps therein lies the problem?

I used the method I did just because I already had the data for it. I think I'll try the 2x20 method as well sometime.
Old 08-09-10, 11:32 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Since this is bikeforums I am assuming you are planning to use the training zones for cycling not running. In that case you should do the test on the bike as your MaxHR and can be different on the bike than while running because fewer muscles are used.

Once you start doing 2x20 intervals I think it is easier just to get used to the feeling of riding at your threshold where you start to have a burning sensation in your legs and you just hold that pace for 20 min or so. Your HR when riding at threshold can vary significantly depending on outdoor temp, hydration state, how tired you are etc.