Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

No more wired computers?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

No more wired computers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 10:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 2,693 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If I did longer commutes, and did them every day, I might get a dyno lighting setup...But they're not foolproof. Wires can come loose, for instance. I would probably still keep a small rechargeable headlight mounted to the handlebar.

As far as computers go, an old-fashioned wired computer is dinosaur stuff. My Garmin 1040 lasts about 57 hours on a charge if I'm not following a GPS route. Even at my usual mileage, that'll get me through several weeks before I need to even think about plugging it in. And the payoff is a huge amount of data on a huge screen that's super-easy to read.
So far none of my three dynamo set ups have had issues once set up. One of them is used frequently off road (not mountain biking mind you). Yes a wire could come loose but I really haven't had issues since set up. We once had a minor issue wiring in the USB charger on my touring bike but that was purely in set up and that one has also spent a decent amount of time on gravel.

Two set ups are SON hubs with spade connectors and one set up is SP hub with their connector. One of the SONs is connected to a Supernova M99 Pro DY headlight and a Racktime I-Valo rack the other is B+M IQ-X with a Toplight Line Brake rear light (or whatever it is called) and the SP is Supernova E3 Triple and an E3 rear light.

Really they have been pretty fool proof, I know things could happen but it would be non-existent for me so far (knock on wood) though a back up is never a terrible thing to have. I don't think I have ever gotten "you are too bright" out there. With the dynamo though I haven't personally done the back ups as everything has worked so well and I like the lights better than all of my other lights aside from maybe my Kryptonite X8 light but that thing is super bulky and haven't had a chance to put a ton of time on it as most of my night riding will be with a bike with a dynamo these days.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-18-24, 11:42 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
What makes bike forums of different types generally enjoyable is that some knowledge is required in practice for any authorative posting, which tends to do miracles in cleaning up the exchanges. However, even on such forums, there can be topic directions where opinions can take over as stand-ins for knowledge or imagination, potentially making the exchanges just as bad as elsewhere.

Last edited by 2_i; 04-19-24 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-19-24, 06:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7029 Post(s)
Liked 11,055 Times in 4,726 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So far none of my three dynamo set ups have had issues once set up.
I'm sure they're very reliable. I'm just thinking of a friend whose dyno light stopped working in the middle of a very long, multi-day gravel race which included a lot of night riding. Though I think he managed to get it working again after stopping for a night.
Old 04-19-24, 07:06 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I'm sure they're very reliable. I'm just thinking of a friend whose dyno light stopped working in the middle of a very long, multi-day gravel race which included a lot of night riding. Though I think he managed to get it working again after stopping for a night.
Odd but it can happen obviously. Though would be curious what set up and what led to it. So many factors in racing as well.
Old 04-19-24, 07:17 AM
Koyote

Odd but it can happen obviously. Though would be curious what set up and what led to it. So many factors in racing as well.
Link.

I went met him out on the road on day 3, and he said a wire had come loose but that he thought he could fix it that night at his hotel. I'm pretty sure he did get it fixed, because he kept logging lots of night miles before getting back to Emporia.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-19-24, 07:22 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Link.

I went met him out on the road on day 3, and he said a wire had come loose but that he thought he could fix it that night at his hotel. I'm pretty sure he did get it fixed, because he kept logging lots of night miles before getting back to Emporia.
Cool. Not the dynamo thing that sucks my guess is maybe possibly the suspension could have stressed the wiring but who knows still a cool set up and I love reading articles about that stuff.
Old 04-19-24, 07:28 AM
Koyote

Cool. Not the dynamo thing that sucks my guess is maybe possibly the suspension could have stressed the wiring but who knows still a cool set up and I love reading articles about that stuff.
Yeah, I don't know what happened to the setup. This was the middle of day 3, and he had already covered over 600 miles, and had been through a nasty rainstorm (and hence mud) just that morning.

The funniest part was that I hadn't seen Ashton in about nine years -- since his first wedding -- and he forgot that I had moved to Kansas. So I followed his tracker on the race route, rode 30 miles from my home, and met him on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere. For the first minute or two, he thought he was hallucinating.

Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-20-24, 04:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Yeah, I don't know what happened to the setup. This was the middle of day 3, and he had already covered over 600 miles, and had been through a nasty rainstorm (and hence mud) just that morning.

The funniest part was that I hadn't seen Ashton in about nine years -- since his first wedding -- and he forgot that I had moved to Kansas. So I followed his tracker on the race route, rode 30 miles from my home, and met him on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere. For the first minute or two, he thought he was hallucinating.

That is hilarious. I love running into people in the odd places. I was in NYC with some friends and I saw an old friend and drummer of a favorite local band coming out of the restaurant it was great. It was just so random because I hadn't seen him in a while and he had taken a hiatus from the band.