Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bibshorts for regular washing programs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bibshorts for regular washing programs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 03:20 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have no idea. Every time my hamfists touch the washing machine, it malfunctions. Then, I have to fix it.

My dear wife forbids me to touch her washing machine.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-17-22, 03:36 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Cycling clothes go in the wash with all the regular laundry. It doesn't matter.

Like Jerry's favorite t shirt -- Golden Boy

Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-17-22, 04:24 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
It was intended to be amusing .. its a running joke in our household. I exaggerated a bit for impact .. 2 months in the winter but in the sweaty summer its once a week into the laundry, whether they need it or not.
Deeesgusting
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 02-17-22, 05:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
My rule is that everything gets washed by machine, even if instructions say otherwise. If it doesn't survive, I don't buy that brand/model again.
Old 02-17-22, 05:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Castelli is washed in one load, Assos is washed in a second load, and everything else is thrown in a third load. We have a dedicated washing machine for cycling apparel, with a separate closed-loop water supply. Everything is hung up to dry in a pure nitrogen environment. Pretty standard procedure ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-17-22, 07:25 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
To summarize:

Wash with normal load (I use normal agitation, some use delicate), cold, cool or warm temperature, not hot. No special brand required.
Put bibs in a mesh bag to prevent the straps from getting tangled up with other stuff
Dry on extra low heat or half extra load/half air dry or hang to air dry overnight (my preference)
Keep several sets in rotation so when one set is in need of or being washed, you're wearing the others.

FWIW, I tend to wash my bibs after every ride. But not always. Using them for commuting - a rigorous hour each way - caused me to realize that hanging up my bibs during the day and allowing them to dry out in my vented locker made them perfectly suitable for wearing for the two rides. I mean, who carries an extra pair of shorts for commuting home in the afternoon? No stink, nor skin issues. That blows the "must wash after every ride" theory. That, in turn, made me realize that unless the bibs are visibly soiled, I often wear them twice for normal rides. I just let them hang to get some air circulation in between rides and sometimes just wash every other ride.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-18-22, 09:10 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeamateur70
Is there a good bibshorts brand or model which can be washed together with regular clothing? Using my Castelli for outdoors rides, but riding on Zwift 5-6 times a week during winter season I need better options. Ideally a mid range expensive bibshorts which can be washed with other sorts of sports clothing in the washing machine (40 degrees celsius + spin-drying).
If you only have 1 pair of bibshorts now (the Castelli), I'd say that's the problem if you're doing 5-6 rides a week. Over the years, I now have about 5-6 pairs of bibs that work for indoor riding (which tend to be shorter in duration than outdoor rides). Those 5-6 bibs, plus whatever mesh shirts/base layers I've worn on top indoors, make up enough space to do as its own washing load. Everything in the load is a sports material/synthetic in these instances; no need to wash with regular laundry. Yes, might be pricey to buy 5-6 bibs, but think of them as consummables, and the lifetime price is about the same anyway.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-18-22, 11:00 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
yeah Castelli are some of my favorites and most of the pairs I invested in or caught on sale are pushing several seasons at this point, but pretty much what everyone said, wash them like underwear because thats essentially what they are, and let them dry over the shower rail or something similar, their hoodies have a life span, they dont like messenger bags
Likes For c0urt:
Old 02-21-22, 08:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
FWIW, I tend to wash my bibs after every ride. But not always. Using them for commuting - a rigorous hour each way - caused me to realize that hanging up my bibs during the day and allowing them to dry out in my vented locker made them perfectly suitable for wearing for the two rides. I mean, who carries an extra pair of shorts for commuting home in the afternoon? No stink, nor skin issues. That blows the "must wash after every ride" theory. That, in turn, made me realize that unless the bibs are visibly soiled, I often wear them twice for normal rides. I just let them hang to get some air circulation in between rides and sometimes just wash every other ride.
I count a round-trip commute as one ride, with a break for a shower and eight or nine hours of work in the middle. Kind of like sitting down for lunch on a century, only the lunch break lasts longer at work.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-21-22, 10:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Those of you who wash their sports gear with ordinary clothes I take it don't use fabric softeners.
Old 02-21-22, 12:34 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Those of you who wash their sports gear with ordinary clothes I take it don't use fabric softeners.
I do, should I not be?
Old 02-21-22, 01:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I do, should I not be?
Most sport fabrics don't get on very well with fabric softeners. They nearly always explicitly tell you not to use them. I believe it reduces their wicking properties and traps sweat etc.
That's the main reason I wash my sports clothing separately from my ordinary clothes.
Old 02-21-22, 02:08 PM
himespau 

Most sport fabrics don't get on very well with fabric softeners. They nearly always explicitly tell you not to use them. I believe it reduces their wicking properties and traps sweat etc.
That's the main reason I wash my sports clothing separately from my ordinary clothes.
Good to know. My wife doesn't like fabric softeners (her parents told her they were a waste of money as a kid), so she'd be happy if I just quit. As it is, I only use the no dye/no perfume/no anything fabric softeners because of a child with skin issues, but I can make a note to stop for any load that has cycling clothes (I do all our laundry).
Likes For himespau:
Old 02-21-22, 05:37 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Been trying out a pair of Black Bibs for the winter trainer rides (wanted to spare my nicer stuff for the roads and trails) and they've been great. At $40/pair it's worth a shot to have something dedicated to sweating in the pain cave. I wash them with my other outdoor and exercise gear on delicate and hang dry...same for all of my cycling kit.
Old 02-24-22, 07:05 AM
Bulette

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
I don't have many fancy bibs. My Pearl Izumi bibs (~$80 type) have lasted a few years with regular washing. The chamois in the Black Bibs fell apart after about 10 washings (they did replace the first pair, but it happened again, so I just moved on). DHB cheapy bibs are holding up okay after a few dozen wears; a custom club kit from HyperThreads feels about like the DHB in terms of quality, and had also held up without special treatment.

I was recently spoiled with some wool bibs. Pricey, but the fabric is noticeably thicker than most ... it feels like wearing actual clothing instead of paper thin spandex. Since I can't really afford to replace them, I only wash on delicate, dry on low, and pull them out before they're totally dry (and hang them to air dry completely).

When I'm at home, I'll usually wear each kit once before washing. But I also know from Touring that a little air drying between uses, a bit of hand washing the chamois as necessary, and my kits can go days without a full wash.

Last edited by Bulette; 02-24-22 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-24-22, 11:17 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I wash all my cycling clothes with regular laundry in my regular , then separate and hang the cycling clothing to dry.
Old 02-24-22, 12:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
To summarize:

Wash with normal load (I use normal agitation, some use delicate), cold, cool or warm temperature, not hot. No special brand required.
Put bibs in a mesh bag to prevent the straps from getting tangled up with other stuff
Dry on extra low heat or half extra load/half air dry or hang to air dry overnight (my preference)
Keep several sets in rotation so when one set is in need of or being washed, you're wearing the others.

I've done this often during the summer.
Old 02-24-22, 01:17 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I wash all my cycling clothing with the rest of the laundry. doesn't matter what the tag says. I have or had bibs from Bontraeger, Pearl I, Aerotek and Castelli. I just don't put to much thought into it.

I have 5 pairs total right now in the rotation.
I wash my bicycle clothes separately from my other laundry and don’t use fabric softener. I machine wash and dry all of them after each ride, however. I have roughly 20 pairs of shorts in rotation (some nearly 20 years old), 6 or 7 tights, and probably about 40 jerseys. Frankly, bicycle clothes are a whole lot tougher than most anything else you wear and don’t need to be treated like lingerie.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-24-22, 01:23 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by himespau
Good to know. My wife doesn't like fabric softeners (her parents told her they were a waste of money as a kid), so she'd be happy if I just quit. As it is, I only use the no dye/no perfume/no anything fabric softeners because of a child with skin issues, but I can make a note to stop for any load that has cycling clothes (I do all our laundry).
I haven’t used fabric softeners on my bicycle clothes since the mid90s. We stopped using fabric softeners about 3 years ago after my daughter suggested using drier balls. We used plastic ones for a little while but find wool ones to be a bit quieter and just as effective.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-25-22, 09:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
The chamois in the Black Bibs fell apart after about 10 washings (they did replace the first pair, but it happened again, so I just moved on).
Sounds like a problem I had with my favorite tires. Three out of three that I bought at the same time had the tread delaminate, leading to blowouts and long walks. I figure they had a quality problem in their production, and bought different tires for a few years to let those funky tires work their way through the supply chain. Then I went back (I really do like those tires and their price!) last year, and I've had no problems since.

FWIW, I found Black Bibs last summer. Averaging one ride a week per pair, that's about 25-30 launderings each since then with no problems.
Old 03-01-22, 11:38 PM
Overdraft

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
My rule is that everything gets washed by machine, even if instructions say otherwise. If it doesn't survive, I don't buy that brand/model again.
^^^^ this! ^^^
Likes For Overdraft:
Old 03-02-22, 10:47 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
nope breaks my skin off something fierce, typically only use gain free and clear because strange smells aggravate me in my clothes
Old 03-03-22, 06:27 AM
himespau 

After years of going sent/color free detergent, I tried something this last time because the store was out of my usual. Just the smell as I put my jerseys on (seems to cook off in the dryer so I don't notice it in my regular clothes, only the hung dry stuff) is so annoying. Will definitely go back after I finish this jug, if not before.
Old 03-03-22, 06:33 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I just toss my cycling clothes in with everything else. We have a washing machine without a conventional agitator.

The three keys to washing cycling clothing:
- use cool or cold water
- wash everything in mesh laundry bags to protect the delicate fabrics from abrasion
- hang dry your cycling clothes

Do those three things and your clothes will last a very long time.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 03-03-22, 09:32 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I just toss my cycling clothes in with everything else. We have a washing machine without a conventional agitator.

The three keys to washing cycling clothing:
- use cool or cold water
I agree. Not an issue.

- wash everything in mesh laundry bags to protect the delicate fabrics from abrasion
Stop to think about what your bike shorts go through on every ride. They aren’t “delicate”. Your shorts rub against the saddle 5400 times per hour (90 rpm over 60 minutes). Nothing in the washer is going to abrade them as much as that. Denim probably won’t stand up to that kind of abuse. Bicycle shorts (and other bicycle clothing) are made of tough, rugged material that doesn’t need to be handled like lingerie..

- hang dry your cycling clothes

Do those three things and your clothes will last a very long time.
Life is too short for that. I used to hand dry my bicycle clothes but decided to just dry them in a dryer. Been doing that for more than 2 decades and I have bicycle clothing that is dragging 30 years pretty hard. How much longer do you think I want my bicycle clothes to last?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.