Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Click Click Click.....

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Click Click Click.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-23, 08:04 AM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Click Click Click.....

When I jump on my Trek 7.4 all's good...for about 20 minutes. Then I get a click with each half turn of the crank. I say half turn because it seems to be that on the downstroke, from each foot, I get a discernable click and a clunky feeling. It's not big but it's definately there. It happens on all chainrings and all gears but sometimes I can get it to go away for a while in certain gears at certain times.....I wonder if it could be the chain or the crank bearings. LBS will get a look at it but I'm curious if anyone here has an idea?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-23, 08:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
When I got a click that I felt more than I heard it was only near the end of downstroke of the right crank. And usually when I was putting out a slight more power to accelerate. Turned out to be the pedal bearings just needed to be cleaned, adjusted and lubed. Perhaps both of your pedals need some attention.

Also be certain your chain ring bolts are tight. That also gave me some funny sounds once. But not what I'd describe as a click. More of a low pitched groan or squeak.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-14-23, 08:58 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Clicks can be tricky.. I’d start with greasing and tightening: chainring bolts, seatpost, and saddle clamp.
Old 04-14-23, 09:33 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Chickenwings
When I jump on my Trek 7.4 all's good...for about 20 minutes. Then I get a click with each half turn of the crank. I say half turn because it seems to be that on the downstroke, from each foot, I get a discernable click and a clunky feeling. It's not big but it's definately there. It happens on all chainrings and all gears but sometimes I can get it to go away for a while in certain gears at certain times.....I wonder if it could be the chain or the crank bearings. LBS will get a look at it but I'm curious if anyone here has an idea?

Thanks in advance.
How many miles? On my 2016 Trek FX 2 (i.e., newer name for what was essentially a FX 7.2 the previous year), when I had the click sound (lower pitch, more like the sound that a door knob latch makes after you close a door) and the clunking feel (only on right side, once per crank revolution), it went away after I replaced the cheap VP bottom bracket with a nice Tange Seiki unit.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-14-23, 09:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Oh, I do remember that one time I had a click that was on both pedal strokes, but only occasionally. After three or four months of casual investigation I found out it was the metal zipper tag on the bag underneath my saddle tapping on the rear rim brake caliper in synchronization with the power surges of my pedaling.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-14-23, 11:37 AM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
The bike has had a few miles. I bought it used and put on a couple hundred miles in the last few years so it's not getting extreme use but it's definitely used.

I don't think it's the seat, or my seat bag since those have been on for a while and I've only noticed the sound and feel in the last few months and it's never there at the beginning and that's the curious part. This only shows up after everything is warmed up. Geez, I've got bad knees, maybe it's THEM!

I'm going to go over it again, check that everything is tight and that nothing is moving. Thanks guys!
Old 04-14-23, 01:12 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Check that your pedals are tight - before your next ride. Not likely because it’s happening with both feet, but just to be sure.
Old 04-14-23, 01:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
If the click/clunk frequency is both (a) proportional to the revolution of the crank and (b) absent during freewheeling, then it is either the bottom bracket, crank arm(s), and/or pedal(s).
Old 04-14-23, 01:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
If the click/clunk frequency is both (a) proportional to the revolution of the crank and (b) absent during freewheeling, then it is either the bottom bracket, crank arm(s), and/or pedal(s).
...or seat post...or seat rails...or chainring bolts...