Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Road V brakes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Road V brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-23, 03:01 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Road V brakes?

Hi folks-
Been looking at new frames and am wondering if “V brake compatible” frames are the same as regular calipers. The mounting holes certainly look like regular caliper holes(centered above wheel on seat stay). Is this just a new jargon?
Thanks
Old 05-12-23, 03:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
V-brakes require posts, just like cantilever brakes. "V-brake compatible" tells me it has post mounts. There may be a center hole above the wheel, but the distance to the rim may or may not be compatible with caliper brakes.
Old 05-12-23, 03:08 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
nope. v-brakes mount below the tire, to posts on the fork tubes and seat stays... each side of the brake has it's own post.

the central hole you refer to is for center pull or side pull brakes only... and/or a cargo rack or fenders.

you CAN buy V-brakes in a "short pull" version, for road bikes.. they will work with standard Road short pull levers and brifters... they are called "Mini-V brakes", typically.... they also require a "v-brake ready" frame.

Last edited by maddog34; 05-12-23 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-13-23, 07:47 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
Hi folks-
Been looking at new frames and am wondering if “V brake compatible” frames are the same as regular calipers. The mounting holes certainly look like regular caliper holes(centered above wheel on seat stay). Is this just a new jargon?
Possibly incorrect jargon, denoting that it's a rim brake frame rather than disc brake. Examples would be helpful.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 05-13-23, 08:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Hi folks-
Thanks
It should mean that the frame has bosses for linear/cantilever brakes on the frame and/or fork. In the early 2000s, bikes often came with both disc brake mounts and rim brake bosses so that either could be used as seen in on the 2003 Specialized Epic below. The addition of the rim brake bosses was phased out on mountain bikes long ago.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-13-23, 08:18 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Possibly incorrect jargon, denoting that it's a rim brake frame rather than disc brake. Examples would be helpful.
They are:

- Side Pulls, single or double pivot, possibly the "regular calipers" noted by the OP. Typical and most common road bike brakes prior to discs. Center bolt mount at apex of fork

- Cantilever Brakes, used on mt. and touring as well as some cross racing bikes, prior to discs. Uses 2 posts mounts on the fork, either side of rim

- V brakes, a type of cantilever, mounts on the side bolts, uses a different cable pull design. Has different cable pull, needs an adapter such as Travel Agent to be used with road bike brake levers, or use a different V brake such as "short pull" as mentioned by maddog (never seen these actually).
Old 05-13-23, 09:52 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Shimano doesn't do a V-Brake for road usage/short pull. There are some companies making mini linear pull brakes for short pull applications but Shimano does not make their product for that purpose.
Old 05-13-23, 10:12 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by Steve B.
They are:
You missed U-brake (an inverted cantilever, pivots above the rim) and direct-mount for aero/weight weenies, a cross between a U-brake and a dual pivot caliper for road bikes. But that wasn't what I was asking.
Old 05-13-23, 10:23 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Shimano doesn't do a V-Brake for road usage/short pull. There are some companies making mini linear pull brakes for short pull applications but Shimano does not make their product for that purpose.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18414130546...3ABFBMsPX_3YJi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25588067123...Bk9SR7L1_92CYg

Last edited by maddog34; 05-13-23 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-13-23, 10:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Hi folks-
Thanks
Probably direct mount side pull brakes
Old 05-13-23, 11:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

OK...I am curious what you were responding to? If you read my post I said Shimano doesn't make road V-brakes and since they are the only company to make V-brakes but other companies do make mini-linear pull brakes. Paul Component is a great example but I would have linked to their website just so it is easier to make sure you are getting the genuine article. https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...akes/minimoto/
Old 05-13-23, 12:22 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by veganbikes
OK...I am curious what you were responding to? If you read my post I said Shimano doesn't make road V-brakes and since they are the only company to make V-brakes but other companies do make mini-linear pull brakes. Paul Component is a great example but I would have linked to their website just so it is easier to make sure you are getting the genuine article. https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/compon...akes/minimoto/
just showing options for mini-v-brakes... i had 4 links that i tried to post two didn';'t load, then the entire post duplicated... )... there are presently about 75 listings on ebay, none of which are shimano.... but multiple options do exist... from way too much money, to incredibly cheap... interestingly, the Pauls varied by about 30% in price, i linked the less expensive listing.
Old 05-13-23, 12:38 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by cyccommute
In the early 2000s, bikes often came with both disc brake mounts and rim brake bosses so that either could be used as seen in on the 2003 Specialized Epic below. The addition of the rim brake bosses was phased out on mountain bikes long ago.
Still useful for trike forks, making it easy to fit two independent braking systems where that is required.
Old 05-13-23, 03:02 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Thanks all, I am def aware of the difference between the brake types. The description on the frame listings is the true issue. These are carbon offerings from Chinese factories( yes I know) on ebay. Several different sellers show what appears to be caliper mounts described as “v brakes.” I suspect grumpus is correct. Again thanks for your replies all.
Old 05-13-23, 03:11 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

This is a good example
Old 05-13-23, 07:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by maddog34
just showing options for mini-v-brakes... i had 4 links that i tried to post two didn';'t load, then the entire post duplicated... )... there are presently about 75 listings on ebay, none of which are shimano.... but multiple options do exist... from way too much money, to incredibly cheap... interestingly, the Pauls varied by about 30% in price, i linked the less expensive listing.
Gotcha...I always recommend getting stuff from the manufacturer or an authorized dealer in case you ever have problems. Paul and Co are great to deal with and make some great products. Box as well but even the Tektro or TRP ones are decent for mini linear pull brakes.
Old 05-14-23, 08:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts

This is a good example
I'd take that as a warning sign....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-14-23, 08:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
This is a good example
Lost in translation?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-14-23, 02:01 PM
maddog34

from our friends in the BMX world.. and i'm fairly certain that they borrowed these from the Early MTB Maniacs... https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/img_3589_copy1_lg.jpg

but wouldn't trust that rear mount hole in that CF frame for ANY brakes.
Old 05-15-23, 10:51 AM
grumpus

Originally Posted by maddog34
but wouldn't trust that rear mount hole in that CF frame for ANY brakes.
One would hope there was a substantial aluminium insert hiding under the plastic, but it doesn't look great does it?
Old 05-15-23, 02:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Center hole:
Standard caliper brakes. Can be either center pull or side pull.

Note, of course, that disc brakes are also called calipers.

Posts Above Rim:
Direct Mount Calipers (road)
U-Brakes (BMX)

Posts Below Rim:
Canti Brakes (frequently cyclocross, touring, or even road)
V-Brakes (Cheaper MTB, but others as above)

For the pictures above with apparently only a center hole, it is mislabeled. Lost in translation? Probably the person writing the description intends to say that it is NOT disc brakes. Noting, of course, it is not uncommon for frames to have both V-Brake posts and Disc mounts.

Super long reach calipers only lasted a few years for MTBs.
Old 05-15-23, 03:40 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

We need some pictures.. the above is a direct mount brake